Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2013 CRZ with 235K. This car has been grea,t up until now I have 0 issues Getting 43 MPG. I had the CEL come on the other day took it to the Honda dealer. They told me it needs a new catalytic converter at a cost of $3200. I love the car but with that many miles on it I'd hate to do it then have something else happen. Or if it really the cat and not another issue, next step is to take it across the street to an independent mechanic, I have not pulled any codes from it. I see there are aftermarket cats out there at a reasonable cost. Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Pull codes and then follow diagnostics that codes indicate. If cat(s) consider trying one of the cleaning solutions but with that kind of mileage it is not to be unexpected that a cat will fail. You can order a universal cat from Rock Auto or used from https://www.redlineautoparts.com/honda-cr-z/ or some members have removed theirs and you might be able to buy one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, I figure with that kind of mileage I would not doubt its bad. Going to see how much an aftermarket one is.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
I still recommend pulling codes and having diagnostics done even after market Cats are $$$$$$$. Many have gotten away with 02 sensor replacement

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P0420, I took it to an independent mechanic that will check out the o2 sensors.
In the past this guy has been reluctant to change parts unless he knows they are bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Per this it is the Cat but still could be the sensor. Your mechanic should know how to do the full testing process.

Here is summary:
As the code description implies the P0420 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases, the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0420 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

P0420, I took it to an independent mechanic that will check out the o2 sensors.
In the past this guy has been reluctant to change parts unless he knows they are bad.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
462 Posts
I see that places like Autozone have universal cats for $80-90. Not sure how well they work, but if it is indeed the cat, this is the route I'd go if I were in your shoes. at 235k miles spending big money on a cat doesn't seem worth it to me. Also pretty crazy to hear that a 'Z has 235k on the clock. Out of curiosity, have you owned the car since new?

Reactions: Spdbump
1 - 7 of 7 Posts