Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's with all these wrapping threads?

The Carbon Fiber look does nothing for me...I guess I am too old!

:dunno:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Derek, It puzzles me somewhat as well. I understand the utility of Carbon Fiber in making structural elements lighter and stiffer. I also know why there is very little of this used in production engineering for consumer product$. For many people I guess it adds a look that says "High Tech". For me this look rings completly empty if it is only on the surface.

Yet I guess that we need to remember that we all like to feel that we have added a personal touch to or favorite toys. So in that vein I guess that anything that helps CR-Z owners have fun driving this great and inovative vehicle should be looked at with only limited skepticism. K

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
It's great. Love to see what others are doing. Some of the CF enhancements look really good. Keeps the forum fun and interesting...

·
Registered
815 Posts
that one dude = me lol
yeah, my mom never understands why I put these on my car :p

Im just going crazy and covering more that I need to so I can practice on it since Im starting up a small wrapping business. just look at it as a cosmetic changed to your car. plus I think wrapping is more convinient, economical, and environmentaly friendly than rattle can paints.

CF is just a texture I tend to like, there are 10000+ different textures that you can choose from that simulates whatever finish that you desire without going through crazy process of manufacturing the actual part.

One last thing that I like about wrapping is that it preserves your original paint finish, so when you get to remove the vinyls after 2~3 years, your paint quality will look as good as new without any rockchips or scratches. and this is good for new cars if you are planning yo sell your vehicle, if your vehicle is a lease, or if you want colour changes.

Our urban world is basically planned and shaped by automobile and automobile nowadays have big emotional connections with the user IMO. Most people buy certain vehicles for aesthetic than function.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it removable without paint damage? If so I guess it's like doing a clear bra :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Personalt tastes.

I'm younger so I think CF looks good on the right cars. I really want to go with a CF hood and hatch eventually. Weight savings would be my justification but in reality I just like the offset off black vs white on the car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Agreed. MAYBE if it is REAL CF, but wrapping it seems to defeat the purpose of CF which is strength and to save weight.
I agree with this because i am a very technical straight-forward person. CF is supposed to be abt saving weight while maintaining strength, so for hoods and fenders i would expect a fully CF hood, not a metal hood with a CF blanket on it.

But i thoroughly enjoy CF accents, i have a CF ring which i love and enjoy car accents in CF.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the point of the wrap is for looks and paint protection. It prevents rock chips, in a city where we have snow for half the year, and they throw sand and gravel every where. This does the same job as 3m, and adds a different look to it. To save weight on a car like the CRZ from adding real CF parts, does nothing for the performace on this scale. Even the addition of real CF parts, are partially or mostly for looks, for a car like the CRZ

·
Registered
664 Posts
i like it. depends how much and how it's being used, but i think wkqkqkfk used it very tastefully. there's a lot of other people who go overboard with it (even with real carbon fiber), but i do like the functionality of wraps.

speaking of which, wkqkqkfk, where can i order rolls of vinyl? clear, cf, black, etc?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
OP, i kind of feel that all your threads sort of have a condescending "why mod a honda" or if i want to go fast i'll buy a Porsche or something.

Not really feeling it.

I will have you know that people vinyl wrap porsches ferraris and all sorts of fast cars. And that vinyl wraps are expensive mods. They arent just honda kids sticking stickers on their cars to look cool.

Ive been quoted as high as 600 dollars just to get a hood and roof wrapped black. Granted for that price i may as well get real CF.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think its a perfectly valid topic, because it does seem like an awful expensive way to alter the look and it is a bit of a "white lie" when its just a wrap, not that a real carbon fiber body panel gives you measurable gain anyways. I guess its just an alternative to custom paint more than anything.
There is the point that its removable but some of us are all to familiar with how well having vinyl or such over your paint "protects it" so when/if you remove it (assuming it comes off cleanly) it will be "brighter" than the rest of your body panels which get sun-faded over the years, it is usually subtle but still noticeable.
I don't know I guess its not for me but I sure don't care if anybody else does it to their car :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.