Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

I recently looking at a CRZ 2010 Japanese imported with a good price from a dealer. I hired a pre purchase inspector to look over the car, he told me the car is in prefect condition but he took it for a test drive, when the speed goes up to 90 - 110km / per hour the car started to vibrating. What issue you guys think It were ? He also told me the CV joint, drive shafts and wheels look good with no issue and no the steeling wheel did not vibrate. I discussed with the dealer and he told me its the alignment problem, its an easy fix. What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
401 Posts
I'm not sure if an alignment causes a car to vibrate. Never heard of it happening nor have I experienced it. . How old are the tires? Are they of good quality, or are they cheap? As tires get old, they can lose their shape a bit and start vibrating at higher speeds. It happens more on cheaper tires. If the tires are good, maybe have the wheels balanced.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
A big issue that happens at tire shops that simply do not care is they tighten the wheel nuts in a circle instead of a diagonal star pattern and that can cause a high speed vibration. It can also warp brake rotors which makes the vibration worse, if you decide to take a chance and buy the car or if they will let you re-torque all the lug nuts in a diagonal pattern and see if vibration lessens also have the rotors checked for warping.

Have the tires ever been rotated? if not they may simply be worn out or wheel bearings.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd get the wheels/tires balance checked first. I've had something similar happen in winter when snow sticks inside a wheel. Wheel weights may have just fallen off.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wheel balance and or tightened incorrectly. I have the same issue with mine after fitting the wheels i got from japan last month. Waiting on camber bolts so I can get alignment done when I get them rebalanced

One thing about a wheel bearing is it gets worse with speed but maybe check the play in the intermediate shaft bearing if the problem remains after a rebalance of the wheels.

The other issue I've had before is if you have shite chinese tires they tend to go out of round with mileage and wear so have a look at them. Cheap + worn = noise and vibration.

My old celica was like a washing machine full of bricks when i first got it because it had (no joke) ling lings on it 🤣🤣

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel balance and or tightened incorrectly. I have the same issue with mine after fitting the wheels i got from japan last month. Waiting on camber bolts so I can get alignment done when I get them rebalanced

One thing about a wheel bearing is it gets worse with speed but maybe check the play in the intermediate shaft bearing if the problem remains after a rebalance of the wheels.

The other issue I've had before is if you have shite chinese tires they tend to go out of round with mileage and wear so have a look at them. Cheap + worn = noise and vibration.

My old celica was like a washing machine full of bricks when i first got it because it had (no joke) ling lings on it 🤣🤣
The car I'm looking at were imported from Japan as well. I really have no clue about car, I hired a pre purchase inspector to look over the car and he told me the car is in good condition, it just the vibrating. So it's really concern me if I should buy the car. Are you from Ireland as well?

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
All CR-Zs were built and imported from Japan they were not built anywhere else. The only differences are what Domestic Market they were built for.

if you have a torque wrench re-torque the lug nuts diagonally it will take you less than half an hour for all 4 wheels. If you still have the vibration after a re-torque then it is it time to look into balance , condition of tires, wheels and suspension.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The car I'm looking at were imported from Japan as well. I really have no clue about car, I hired a pre purchase inspector to look over the car and he told me the car is in good condition, it just the vibrating. So it's really concern me if I should buy the car. Are you from Ireland as well?
Yeah from louth,
Check tires and ask dealer to balance them, cohmd be a slight buckle too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All CR-Zs were built and imported from Japan they were not built anywhere else. The only differences are what Domestic Market they were built for.

if you have a torque wrench re-torque the lug nuts diagonally it will take you less than half an hour for all 4 wheels. If you still have the vibration after a re-torque then it is it time to look into balance , condition of tires, wheels and suspension.
So, I just bring it to mechanicl and ask them to do that ? I am clueless about car.
I've report from the mechanical checking the car, do you mind to have a look and tell me what do you think ?

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
You could but all you do is set the torque wrench to 80 FT lbs ( or 108.4654 newton meters for metric users) ( most stop when it clicks) and you loosen all the lug nuts then tighten till it clicks in a diagonal "star" pattern till all 5 are tightened to the set value. Re-torquing lug nuts is the same as removing and replacing a flat it just makes sure they are tightened to the specification. It also eliminates the vibration issue I mentioned when the monkeys that rotate tire or do any tire work go in a circle rather than diagonally. I have had more wheels damaged in my life by improper use of an impact gun on my studs and lugs on my wheels. I am a bit more fanatical than others but when my wheels are removed for any reason I re-torque them in the parking lot of any place that works on my wheels. I own my own torque wrench and breaker bar and also a protective socket.

You can buy a good torque wrench for very little or many places rent them for free. You need a 19 MM socket to go with it.

This is more advanced than changing the two air filters and the wiper blades but none of these tasks are hard and by doing it yourself you will save a lot of money.

Since you already bought the car and I am in a different country my reading the report will not add anything. If it passes the local laws and requirements then after that it is just basic maintenance and repairs. Change all fluids ,all filters, wiper blades and if tires are more than 5 years old or the tread is worn below legal limits or is uneven replace the tires. If after all that there is still a vibration then you need to have someone who is familiar with suspension or a certified repair mechanic look at the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, I just bring it to mechanicl and ask them to do that ? I am clueless about car.
I've report from the mechanical checking the car, do you mind to have a look and tell me what do you think ?
If you've bought it return it to the dealer and get them to sort it

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
It never should have been sold with the issue there is no guaranty they will do anything since he now owns it but you lose nothing by asking.

The preinspection that he had should have guided him to what the issue was or it is not worth what he paid for the inspection.

All of the above is my opinion based on a lifetime of dealing with sub par vendors of service for vehicles.

If you've bought it return it to the dealer and get them to sort it

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
401 Posts
Yep. Had cheap Douglas All-Season tires fitted to my Civic 3 years ago. It was super quiet, very smooth, and steering felt great. but after about 1.5 years the car became loud, it vibrates like crazy, and steering is mushy and vague.

...they may simply be worn out or wheel bearings.
One thing to note is that, usually, bad wheel bearings are also quite loud. THey make either a rumbling noise, or a howling noise. An easy way to check is to put one tire in the air and spin it. If the bearing is bad, you'll definitely hear it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lads,

I recently looking at a CRZ 2010 Japanese imported with a good price from a dealer. I hired a pre purchase inspector to look over the car, he told me the car is in prefect condition but he took it for a test drive, when the speed goes up to 90 - 110km / per hour the car started to vibrating. What issue you guys think It were ? He also told me the CV joint, drive shafts and wheels look good with no issue and no the steeling wheel did not vibrate. I discussed with the dealer and he told me its the alignment problem, its an easy fix. What do you guys think ?
It’s been said
Alignment and good quality tyres ..... how much you pay the Pre inspector ? Didn’t S/he have any ideas ? PS less of the random sexism 🤣 lads 😘

·
Registered
84 Posts
It’s been said
Alignment and good quality tyres ..... how much you pay the Pre inspector ? Didn’t S/he have any ideas ? PS less of the random sexism 🤣 lads 😘
Where is the sexism 😅 is it the lads part because that is an Irish colloquial and totally androgynous term for humans 😂 it's our equivalent of hello everyone lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where is the sexism 😅 is it the lads part because that is an Irish colloquial and totally androgynous term for humans 😂 it's our equivalent of hello everyone lol
🤣 pulling your leg I’m Irish decent but now you’ll remember me when I run into car bother 😎

1 - 19 of 19 Posts