Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a crz gt model (non navi) and i am thinking to replace the factory radio headunit with a carpc. I have read many posts from other ppl that did similar projects but none for a crz car. From all these projects i have end up for the hardware that i will need. My only problem and obstacle is how to use the steering wheel controls to control the pc. Most ppl use the JOYCON adapter that convert the steering wheel buttons to keyboard comands via usb. It suppose to work with "resistive" type of steering controls.
From a communication that I had with a joycon technician he told me that he dont know for sure if it will work for our car but brobably it will coz the last honda/toyota cars is resistive type.
If somebody knows anything that it will help, I would appreciate a lot.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think car PCs are out of date ever since Tablet came out... with all the work and wiring, I would recommand just doing an ipad integration. just build a fiberglass dash on top of the OEM radio. wiring is P O Cake since you just have to plug it by factory USB. Then, you will have a sick 9.7" capacitive touch screen on your car with GPS + Apps + ETC. here is an ipad integration by VW that I think look really interesting VW's Bulli van concept does iPad integration right, shockingly -- Engadget

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ever do this?
Yes i finaly did it!:thumbsup: soon I will come up with a complete guide-review.
Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Vehicle

Vehicle Car Electronics Honda Center console

I think car PCs are out of date ever since Tablet came out... with all the work and wiring, I would recommand just doing an ipad integration. just build a fiberglass dash on top of the OEM radio. wiring is P O Cake since you just have to plug it by factory USB. Then, you will have a sick 9.7" capacitive touch screen on your car with GPS + Apps + ETC. here is an ipad integration by VW that I think look really interesting VW's Bulli van concept does iPad integration right, shockingly -- Engadget
It isnt the same. with carpc you have an oem like instaliation with a fully fuctional and customized multimedia/navigation system. Ipad like solutions isnt new! they exists almost as carpcs. Why? because apple advertise ipad inside some cars? I use my touch pda cell phone as many other ppl, 5 years now, attached to a car holder as mp3/mp4 player , navigation, web radio and more other apps. Ipad is good if you have already one and plan to make a road trip, so you attach it in your car for having fun on the road.

Yes for camping vans is very good idea coz you can take it with you anywhere.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its about 70% in progress! Here is the link of my project on the greek car pc forum. Honda crz CarPC sorry for the waiting. I dont have time to translate it coz of my work. Pls give me some time and i will share with you everything for this project. The cost is about 650 euro until now.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
amazing. with my evo 4g, i could have a wireless PC in my car and use my phone as a high speed hot spot.

great work!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am doing the same thing for my USDM CR-Z and have everything needed. I only have one question, though. When placing the screen into the dash (and obviously having to remove the factory head unit), what solution have you gone with for integrating the audio into your factory speakers? I'm lost right now as I do not want to purchase amps for my existing speakers. Please share with me what you have done with yours. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate the input!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the gt model(EX for US) with integrated amplifier. You dont have to buy another amplifier except if you have the base model so in that case you will need one. First you need to buy these:
2008 Honda Harness
2010 - up Honda Antenna Adapter

For The first harness the following wire are for speakers:
* Green – Left Rear Speaker (+)
* Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
* White – Left Front Speaker (+)
* White with Black Stripe – Left Front Speaker (-)
* Purple – Right Rear Speaker (+)
* Purple with Black Stripe – Right Rear Speaker (-)
* Gray – Right Front Speaker (+)
* Gray with Black Stripe – Right Front Speaker (-)

Give me a couple of days and i will give you the rest of them. I have to check again coz i lost my notes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stefcrz - Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have the harness and antenna adapter but my question is, what are you plugging those wires into being that there is no head unit? Are you somehow splicing the wires into the computers sound card or some other device? This is the point I am lost in my project. I have no idea how to integrate the CarPC with the factory speakers without using a head unit as a median between the two? If you could shed some light on this subject for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stefcrz - Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have the harness and antenna adapter but my question is, what are you plugging those wires into being that there is no head unit? Are you somehow splicing the wires into the computers sound card or some other device? This is the point I am lost in my project. I have no idea how to integrate the CarPC with the factory speakers without using a head unit as a median between the two? If you could shed some light on this subject for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Your car is base model or ex? For Base you have to do this:

Text Line Diagram Font Parallel

Its a simple quick diagram. If you have the ex, bypass the amplifier of the diagram and connect direct the speaker wires to your sound card( external or internal). For EX case you have also to triger the amplifier to turn it on. So you have to find the amp triger wire and suply it with 12v to turn on the amplifier. this wire is one of the scotche harness wires. I dont remember which one, i have to check again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How'd I miss this thread? lol

I'm working on a similar project... just started, kinda.

To bad we didnt start together! i would like to had some ppl to talk about during the progress of my project. I will be glad to help if you have any problems.
This is the Metra Double din panel? Can you tell me pls the internal dimensions(The space were the display is placed)? What monitor is this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your car is base model or ex? For Base you have to do this:

View attachment 1770

Its a simple quick diagram. If you have the ex, bypass the amplifier of the diagram and connect direct the speaker wires to your sound card( external or internal). For EX case you have also to triger the amplifier to turn it on. So you have to find the amp triger wire and suply it with 12v to turn on the amplifier. this wire is one of the scotche harness wires. I dont remember which one, i have to check again.
Wait. So u want us to bypass the amp but we still have to turn it on with the ex model?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry! what i ment for the EX was to delete the amplifier from the diagram not in the real thing! you have only to connect the audio cables direct to the harness. The same as the factory radio unit is connected. The amplifier is after the harness so you have to do nothing with it except the triger wire. For base model there is no amplifier unit . The radio unit has its own amplifier to power the speakers. So in owr case we need a small amplifier between pc audio card and harness.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Again, thanks for another helpful diagram Stefcrz!

Im still confused though. Maybe someone in this post can shed some light on this for me.

I have a USDM CR-Z EX, so I have the amplifier in my audio set up.

You said to splice the factory speaker wires right into an internal or external sound card which i understand. What I don't get is how do I go about doing this? Sound cards have analog (or digital) inputs/outputs - meaning they are using either a headphone-type mini-jack or an optical plug. How do I convert my factory speaker wires in their split positive/negative two-wire format into an analog mini-jack which will plug into the sound card? According to jlopez, a DAC is needed to convert the analog audio into a digital format which i also understand but the fact still applies that this DAC is not going to have a terminal-like input for my factory speaker wires. Do they manufacture some kind of adapter that will convert a two-wire speaker set into a 3.5mm mini-jack, or something? Please help! :(

If someone can please help me understand how to do this, I would be forever grateful as this is where I am stuck on my project!

Thanks in advance, guys.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.