Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is annoying me to death. When I'm driving and I upshift, the rpms will shoot up. I'm not pressing the gas pedal in. As soon as i press the clutch in, the rpms will go WAAAAAAH! It will shoot up, like it's trying to keep the rpms up. The problem is, when i drive/accelerate faster, like aggresive driving, it over revs even harder. So it sounds like i dont know how to drive stick, and i'm over revving, but i do. It's so wierd. It's so hard to drive really fast with this cars tranny. If i try to drive it hard. Not romp on it, but going onto an onramp and im taking it all the way, its over revs like a mofo and jerks when i put the shifter in gear fast. I dont understand why it over revs when i press the clutch in.

· Registered
159 Posts
Okay, this is annoying me to death. When I'm driving and I upshift, the rpms will shoot up. I'm not pressing the gas pedal in. As soon as i press the clutch in, the rpms will go WAAAAAAH! It will shoot up, like it's trying to keep the rpms up. The problem is, when i drive/accelerate faster, like aggresive driving, it over revs even harder. So it sounds like i dont know how to drive stick, and i'm over revving, but i do. It's so wierd. It's so hard to drive really fast with this cars tranny. If i try to drive it hard. Not romp on it, but going onto an onramp and im taking it all the way, its over revs like a mofo and jerks when i put the shifter in gear fast. I dont understand why it over revs when i press the clutch in.
I've noticed this too. There was a post about it a couple of weeks back. Just started experimenting with sport mode more, where you notice this. Whereas, in normal mode, it doesn't really happen. And, it depends on how you drive it in sport mode too. As you start to go faster, it does the revving thing, like it wants you to speed shift, but over-revving too much to do a speed shift.

· Registered
159 Posts
Borcth - are you perhaps only driving in sport mode? It's much easier to shift smoothly in normal mode and you might find that you can get the technique down like you want it to be by spending time in normal mode. Shifting in sport mode is much trickier and takes a really really light accelerator touch as the sport mode makes the throttle much more sensitive.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Borcth - are you perhaps only driving in sport mode? It's much easier to shift smoothly in normal mode and you might find that you can get the technique down like you want it to be by spending time in normal mode. Shifting in sport mode is much trickier and takes a really really light accelerator touch as the sport mode makes the throttle much more sensitive.
Yes :blush: Only way i can get from 10mph to 70mph in under 10 seconds while merging from an onramp onto I95
Yea your right about the speedshifting. It's bizarre. What I have to end up doing is holding the clutch it for a second longer, then shift into gear. I cant just slam into one gear after another, otherwise it jerks , but over revs badly. Ive noticed that being a bit more smooth, it doesnt jerk. But it still over revs, like its trying to keep the rpms from dropping. It's an interesting feature, but kind of annoying too. It even does it when downshifting...

THIS IS BUUULLLPUCKY!

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
no0b :giggle: :lol: u crack me up with this thread... sorry to sound mean... i'm really not and i'll explain this haha...

just to fix a few things in your post... it's NOT over revving... it's actually called "rev hang" and this is a VERY common trait on cars equipped with DBW or Drive By Wire like ALL of the newer Honda's are today... Formula 1 cars, Acura, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc ALL use this type of system b/c it allows for more electronic control on the throttle... this is why the "throttle response" feels different in the different modes...

i can only say from my test drive but i had a really easy time driving the CR-Z 6MT... i guess that's b/c my last car '06 Si also had DBW and i was fortunate enough to buy the car early enough when they had a horrible rev hang issue which Honda had to put out a TSB to fix this issue...

i found that in Sport mode there was similar throttle response as my Si... meaning it was more real-time and not delayed like in Normal/Eco... the "rev hang" you experience is to HELP you shift better/smoother if you don't panic and try and stop it or work around it... just go with the flow and you'll find the sweet spot to shift almost seamlessly...

i'd really say practice in Sport b/c it offers the quickest response to throttle and the "rev hang" is almost non-existent when shifting... now when it comes to shifting hard/fast or at higher rpms, i can't say exactly what the sweet spot is b/c i don't own one and only drove hard on a short test drive where i experienced a nasty jerk a couple times shifting from 1st to 2nd... that was mainly b/c i didn't time the gas/clutch/shift correctly...

Downshifting might take some getting used to here... i also found it harder to rev match in any mode other than sport... it's possible but again, short test drive didn't allow me to do much, especially in the Normal/Eco modes lol...

the main thing to keep in mind when driving in any mode and whether you're shifting up or down... if you're coming from driving older cars with throttle cable system, the DBW system takes 'some' getting used to... it might feel like it responds slow at first but once you get used to it, the benefits of it greatly exceeds the negatives...

hope that helps and if you want a driving lesson i'd be happy to help, just drive on down i'm less than 1hr from you (i think) :hi5:

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
actually you can slap her around however you want once you learn how to drive it :thumbup:

after i drove my Si for quite a while, i hopped into my friends car with that old throttle cable system and i almost :puke: at how rough it felt... not smooth at all...

Honda's 6MT's are REALLY some of the easiest transmissions to learn on... i've taught at least 3 ppl that retained what i taught them on my Si... upshifting, downshifting, powershifting is all cake on these cars...

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont get me wrong. Its smooth. Its very percise and nice. It's just i get used to something, and then switch all of the sudden and i have to adjust.

Gosh, it sure is nice to have a crz though.......lol *looks at bizzybear* Driving it all shitty like and abusing her.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
short story: i got rid of my Si and a few months after we had a meet with other Si's... my friend brought his Stage2 supercharged Si and allowed me to drive it b/c a bunch of ppl were saying how good i was at driving the Si... now i've driven nearly 500hp Si's b4 and i had no issues then... but i guess i sorta forgot how to drive and since he had a sedan, we had myself the owner and 2 ppl in the backseats... anyways, i take it up the street and i'm just feeling the gears again getting used to the Si transmission again... then they told me to get on it... so i'm in 1st and i punch it, btw the stage2 SC kit raises the revs to like 8700rpms or so... so here i am the rpms are climbing fast i throw 2nd bam, rpms climbing i throw 3rd :eek:mg: whoops, i just put it back to 1st :eek:hsnap: rpms climbed off the tach haha... car was still good, my friend took it to the shop a few days later and told me i accidentally took it to 10,100rpms for 1 second :hiding:

but it's all good, no harm... point is, every car takes some getting used to even if you've driven it for a while...

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Gosh, it sure is nice to have a crz though.......lol *looks at bizzybear* Driving it all shitty like and abusing her.
:police: watch yo mouf sucka! :rules:

btw, maybe i should edit the thread title to "Teach Me how to drive the 6MT" :hay:

sorry if this sounds racist... my friend once said "Honda's are like blond white girls, they love being abused." as much as that sounds messed up, it is so true :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Dont worry. I think everyone has missed a gear and downshifted instead of upshifting and the car BUCKS and rpms go VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! lol
ur like..oh shit balls!
yes, but not everyone does that on someone else supercharged car with them in the passenger seat and you clearly over revved it like that haha...

· Registered
1,071 Posts
As soon as i press the clutch in, the rpms will go WAAAAAAH! .
Usually, I don't encounter anything like that. Not even any annoying "rev hang".
I just tried to duplicate your saturation. This was how I could do it in sport mode.
1. Delay my timing of lifting gas pedal
2. Slightly touching/ resting my foot on the gas pedal while pressing the clutch.

I'd say you just have to get the timing right and improve your skill.

Your CR-Z can be a new baby to get used to. At the same time, this baby actually has multiple personality disorder. You have to learn how to deal with Sport, Normal and ECO. Each of them carries different personality. Sport just happens to be the sensitive one.

· Registered
618 Posts
short story:
... so i'm in 1st and i punch it, btw the stage2 SC kit raises the revs to like 8700rpms or so... so here i am the rpms are climbing fast i throw 2nd bam, rpms climbing i throw 3rd :eek:mg: whoops, i just put it back to 1st :eek:hsnap:
That's commonly referred to as "The Money Shift". Because it's known to be expensive.

· Registered
106 Posts
I think I notice what you mean. I find the peak of the revs harder to locate in this car but my driving is smoothing out. I figured it was the electronic assist aspects kicking in to keep the engine flowing vs letting it drop and spike.

Bizzy my dear, look into the difference between racism and stereotyping.

And most of the blond white girls I meet are not truly blond. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.