Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts
Most reasoned response I have seen here. At some point if you have a problem you need to fix the problem and that may need a professional. It is obviously a problem wheels should not skip but as mentioned it could be anything from the half shafts to something else in the suspension.

Forums like this are here to help out other uses but there are limits as to what help can be given... I can't put someone's car on a lift and shake it down or spin the tires in the air through the internet. I also can't give someone the experience to feel the difference between tolerance, play, and slop. Very often people get upset that we can't solve issues that can't be solved remotely. Sometimes things get to the point where it takes hands on to progress. Experienced hands. Free advice is worth every penny but sometimes paid assessments get the job done.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
A failing CV would have a "click click click" noise when accelerating and turning. A skipping wheel like this, in reverse, at full lock and slow speeds is indicative of a suspension issue IMO.
both of your observations here are entirely subject to the type of failure. In my experience, skipping wheels only occur do to drivetrain binding, such as a 4WD with the bubs locked, or a failed differential/u-Joint/CV joint. The only time I;ve seen a suspension failure that caused a wheel skipping, it was glaringly obvious, and had induced a driveline bind through changed suspension geometry.

Especially because it's both sides, not just one.
the outer CV joint will be under the same extreme angle at either Full left or full right lock. Especially since OP stated that they have to go to full lock every time they back out of their driveway, I would say that has probably lead to accelerated wear in one or both of the outer CV joints.

·
Registered
2015 CRZ Base
20 Posts
sometimes noise can be tire chatter (tire skipping on pavement) especially when it's cold (tire is less flexible) and when it's wet (less friction between tire and pavement). overly-cambered vehicles with aggressive Ackerman angles suffer from this a lot, or cars with out of spec toe and camber

It could also be half shafts not flexing enough, suspension components with more play in them as the rubber bushings wear, or any number of things

if it really sounds bad, take it to a mechanic. they can put it in the air and diagnose it

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The bottom line here is that there is most likely something wrong with your car and you need somebody who actually knows what they're doing to check it out and diagnose in person. Then you, @marc512 , can make the determination of whether or not to get it fixed.

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z 2011 EX w/CVT
3 Posts
Mine was having a similar issue, I took it in and they said it was the front springs, they replaced them as they had just rusted through.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts