Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my new friends that are into the Zzzs. 馃榿 The only downside I have came across is lack of visibility. I have been looking at camera for our blind spots. Any of you put in a camera system ? Any recommendations?? Thanks for the feedback.

Registered
Honda CR-Z 2011 EX w/CVT
This has been discussed and if you adjust your mirrors the issue goes away. This article explains the process. No one has mentioned adding cameras for this issue. 2016 has lane watch.

So when I first started driving I learned this from my father who's a truck driver, but in the CR-Z I definitely have a unique issue I didn't have in other cars which is how thicc that back end is, if I adjust all the way out it leaves a bit of a gap I still can't see well, so mine are in a little closer than they typically should be but I bought a set of those stick on wide angle mirrors for the edges and it's actually saved my life (or at least my rear fender) a few times already. I've heard another solution are those wide angle full replacement mirrors you can get from Mugen irrc. Hope that kinda explains my personal experiences and solutions ^.^

Super Moderator
I have a 2013 and they have a sliver mirror on drivers side but I have not had an issue with mine since I used article above. If you found a solution that works for you that is great ! All I am suggesting is try the suggestions from article first before spending money. Many have posted after this was mentioned that it resolved issue. The other solution is the Fresnel lens on the rear window.

So when I first started driving I learned this from my father who's a truck driver, but in the CR-Z I definitely have a unique issue I didn't have in other cars which is how thicc that back end is, if I adjust all the way out it leaves a bit of a gap I still can't see well, so mine are in a little closer than they typically should be but I bought a set of those stick on wide angle mirrors for the edges and it's actually saved my life (or at least my rear fender) a few times already. I've heard another solution are those wide angle full replacement mirrors you can get from Mugen irrc. Hope that kinda explains my personal experiences and solutions ^.^

Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
I'm sure it's all a matter of personal preference, but I don't like setting the mirrors like this at all, especially on the 'Z.
What if I Told You That Vehicles Don鈥檛 Have a Blind Spot? Most of us spend at least some part of our day driving a motor vehicle and unless you鈥檙e reading this... View Article
www.itstactical.com
www.itstactical.com
For one, the split down the rear window can make it hard to see behind you with the rearview mirror. Having the side mirrors set up in the more traditional sense allows me to see behind me in a pinch by leaning a bit.

Also, if you need to change lanes, you need to rely on your rearview mirror to see if the lane is clear. This becomes verry difficult if someone is tailgating you (very common in Florida), and it becomes even trickier in the CR-Z with its huge C-pillars. It becomes impossible if you're in a standstill, such as being in a turn lane and realizing you need to go straight.

My 2014 'Z also has the sliver mirror on the driver's side, but it distorts the image so much that it isn't very clear what I'm looking at, nor where the other vehicle actually is. Also, it's missing on the passenger side. Again, I'm sure its all just preference and getting used to it.

My solution was just to get those blindspot stick-on mirrors for the corners. I recommend getting high quality ones, the cheaper ones have weird reflections and are very unclear. I got some adjustable ones that are wide enough to cover all of the sides of the vehicle. Mine are pointed down a bit too, so parking is a breeze.

As for the ultra thicc C pillar, it only affects me when I'm trying to join a road at a 45 degree angle (such as when turning left onto a road with a median). For me, this problem is uncommon enough that I just stand on the dead-pedal and lean over the passenger seat to get a better view. Not ideal, but also not a situation I would trust to a camera.

If I remember correctly, I believe @yayuuu added some cameras to his 'Z, but I believe the intent was for parking, not for blindspot monitoring.

Super Moderator
Did you try this method in the article for more than one drive? It took a little getting used to and for me it helped a lot. I also tried a few different positions for the seat and the telescoping and tilt wheel. It is all personal preference and takes time to adjust to. I hate even more mirrors because each one adds a different field of view and a different apparent distance. But to each their own.

I adjust inside rear view so it is set to use mostly the lower hatch glass or just high enough so I can see police or roof racks a little again it takes time to set it correctly. This is hard to explain.

The little sliver is drivers side only for a reason you have a full convex on the passenger side.The sliver is partial convex.

I'm sure it's all a matter of personal preference, but I don't like setting the mirrors like this at all, especially on the 'Z.

For one, the split down the rear window can make it hard to see behind you with the rearview mirror. Having the side mirrors set up in the more traditional sense allows me to see behind me in a pinch by leaning a bit.

Also, if you need to change lanes, you need to rely on your rearview mirror to see if the lane is clear. This becomes verry difficult if someone is tailgating you (very common in Florida), and it becomes even trickier in the CR-Z with its huge C-pillars. It becomes impossible if you're in a standstill, such as being in a turn lane and realizing you need to go straight.

My 2014 'Z also has the sliver mirror on the driver's side, but it distorts the image so much that it isn't very clear what I'm looking at, nor where the other vehicle actually is. Also, it's missing on the passenger side. Again, I'm sure its all just preference and getting used to it.

My solution was just to get those blindspot stick-on mirrors for the corners. I recommend getting high quality ones, the cheaper ones have weird reflections and are very unclear. I got some adjustable ones that are wide enough to cover all of the sides of the vehicle. Mine are pointed down a bit too, so parking is a breeze.

As for the ultra thicc C pillar, it only affects me when I'm trying to join a road at a 45 degree angle (such as when turning left onto a road with a median). For me, this problem is uncommon enough that I just stand on the dead-pedal and lean over the passenger seat to get a better view. Not ideal, but also not a situation I would trust to a camera.

If I remember correctly, I believe @yayuuu added some cameras to his 'Z, but I believe the intent was for parking, not for blindspot monitoring.

Registered
I also find the Cr-z rear Side windows difficult to see out of. Yes they look amazing on the outside, but compared to other cars, the z is not as friendly for unobstructed viewing.

Have you seen the 360 camera from Brigade?
It鈥檚 a stand-alone unit that can be adapted to any vehicle.
Also the screen can be used in standard upright mode and portrait mode, just like a phone.
The rep told me the central graphic icon can be changed to look like your (vehicle), you could add a crz icon!

The cost is around $900, but isn鈥檛 that what your insurance deductible is close to anyways if you do get into an accident?

I know the rep if you are actually serious about purchasing.

Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
Ok, since I've been mentioned in this topic - yes, I've added 2 cameras, one in front, one in the back, but they are for parking in tight spots.
I didn't really ever felt like I have blind spots. The stock mirrors (at least in the EU) are convex, which basically eliminates blind spots.
Also, I don't like setting mirrors like Spdbump mentioned. Seeing the same object in 2 mirrors helps me imagine my surroundings in 3d space more accurately. If I don't see any part of my car in the side mirrors, I don't know how far the object is relative to my car.
Also, I'm pretty short, 176cm, so my seat is not moved all the way back. If there's a car on my left or right side (supposedly in the blind spot), I can see it with the corner of my eye through the side window (or if I turn my head slightly) before my view is obstructed by the side pillar.
The last thing - humans don't work like machines. We have the perception of time, so we can analyze what we've seen a while ago and we do not instantly forget a car that we've just overtaken as soon as it leaves our field of view.
All in all, I never felt like I really have blind spots, other than some short distance in front of the car (because I can't see where the hood ends), that's why I added the camera in front of the car, to not hit the curbs with the bumper.

Super Moderator
You actually do not see the same object in both mirrors your eyes are scanning and you have a memory not an actual simultaneous view. The more of the side of the car you see the less of the rest of the lanes you see in the field of view of the mirror(s). You still see a portion of the side of the car but you maximize the field of view which is especially helpful on multi lane roads. I have now seen two postings saying the article is wrong but I found reading it did not make sense till I actually adjusted my mirrors as they detailed and drove the car for a few weeks that way and liked the better field of view. You don't like it ,don't use it but at least try it. Read the article( again) and try it. It does not say to not see any of the side of the car just less of it. All the views from the mirrors still over lap. You are over thinking it and need to read and try the method but I go back to what i said before if your method works for you and keeps you safe do what you feel is right.

Once you drive your car for a long time you just know where other objects are in relationship to the car.

Only time I had a problem with this is when I worked in car rental delivering cars to customers and I was in a different car every hour. We delivered the rental unit with a tow unit hooked to the back bumper unhooked tow unit went to the next customer to pick up attach tow unit etc so I was swapping from rental units to tow unit all day. I wish I had read that article then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts