Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Test both and see for yourself :mellow:

Nobody can tell you what you'll like. If you have experience with a manual you'll probably want to stick with one.
Exactly!

I test drove both and loved both for different reasons. In the end I chose CVT because my wife wants to drive it too and she cant drive MT...

Again, drive both and you'll have your answer......good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm partial to sports features of the car and therefore never even considered nor tested the cvt so like others here have said its an individual thing. I've seen somewhere though that cvt outnumbers manual about 3-1.One thing to keep in mind though with manual for this car, esp in Frisco is the hill assist feature (on an incline braking automatically continues until clutch engaged). I'd never had it on a car before and its a real advantage once you get used to it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The manual clutch is so light, I can't imagine getting tired in day to day driving. IMO, it makes the most of the limited power and the way to go. As I've said, the availability of the manual is the ONLY reason this car was on the shopping list. As others have noted, drive them both, you may not like the CVT after you try it. I believe it is an 'acquired' taste.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Lucky for me I liked the CVT. Wife hates manuals. I did drive both and both are nice.

My wife has stolen my car. She has drove it to work every day this week.
Guess that is a vote for a manual... :thumbsup:

Reactions: Scott Plantier

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Ha Ha, are you suggesting a 'strategic' error in the thought process? :mellow:
Maybe, I have the CVT and like it. To old to like having to shift all the time. Got lucky and wifey does not like the blind spot. But she does like going out with me on road trips in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In my case there was no choice but the manual 6 speed. :thumbsup: Personally I like shifting and having the added control of a manual tranny...I didn't actually buy for the mileage so much (although no complaints re:the mpg I'm getting with the 6MT.) I just need to have fun driving my cars and this does it for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my case there was no choice but the manual 6 speed. :thumbsup: Personally I like shifting and having the added control of a manual tranny...I didn't actually buy for the mileage so much (although no complaints re:the mpg I'm getting with the 6MT.) I just need to have fun driving my cars and this does it for me.
Amen to that! In my opinion, those who chose the CVT are just plain shiftless!:hi5:

·
Registered
693 Posts
As everyone has already said, it is a personal choice.

But for my two cents, I would never consider the CVT. I drove it and absolutely hated it. Others love their CVTs, but as we said it is personal choice.

I absolutely love my 6MT. It is truly a joy to shift it significantly improves the performance of the car and is the feature of my CRZ that I like best.

As for real world fuel economy, our polls indicate that the manual averages less than 0.5 mpg less fuel economy compared to the CVT. So fuel economy shouldn't really enter into the decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Definitely comes down to personal preference.

As for the fuel mileage, I will say that I have been averaging 37.5 mpg with my 6MT. Most driving is my 10 mile journey to and from work. Given that the car tales the first 2-3 miles to warm up in winter temperatures, 37.5 is very good. I expect I'll do even better in warmer months.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I drove both, I won't say I disliked the CVT but having never driven any CVT car before it just felt weird...under heavy acceleration it would just rev then stay at the high rpm till I backed off the throttle. The engineer in me says that's fine it's probably even better that way as you stay in the power band. But it just didn't feel like what I wanted.

Drove the 6speed, bought it, love it. I feel like I'm driving a normal car for the most part yet I get 37mpg most of the time.

I will say contrary to the poster above, I had my car in the summer and fuel economy was worse...however when it is 100 degrees outside not only does it not autostop b/c the air conditioning is on...you probably don't want it to. If you live in a cooler climate, probably will be better in the summer for you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I drove both and went with the 6MT. I can honestly say it is the smoothest, nicest shifter+clutch I have ever used. Seriously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I echo everyone else's advice. Drive both, and see what fits most to your needs and driving style.
I personally, chose the CVT, since I was looking for an automatic for the daily grind. I have a weekend toy I can slam gears in. If it's going to be my only vehicle, I may have opted for the 6-MT.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.