Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you sleep in this car? Would it be comfortable?
I've spent a night in a 2nd gen Honda Odyssey before, just to give you an idea of what I can take. I am about 6'.
Sorry for the strange question, I haven't seen one of these things in person yet. Only pictures. :)
EDIT: Any personal experiences with this, also?
- n'Jet

·
Registered
674 Posts
Go and test drive one, and see how you fit in it. l'm 5'11 and l'm very comfortable in it. l've driven this car 10hrs+ and the seats are amazing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you mean as in lie down in the back, then no, not really.
With the rear seat/divider folded, the load space is about 4' 6" long.
For it's type the CR-Z is fairly practical, provides good passenger space for two and a reasonable luggage space, but it's not a big car.

I just looked up the Honda Odyssey (not sold here): are you kidding? that thing is huge compared to a CR-Z.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You couldn't sleep in the conventional sense but could in a pinch . The seat reclines back pretty far , not flat but far enough to lay down . I'm about 6'4 and can lay back and stretch my legs out from my normal driving position . It's sort of like sleeping in a reclining chair . One of the reasons I bought it was for that capability in the event I have to pull over someplace when the highway gets shut down for hours and side roads are jammed with traffic . I haven't checked yet to see if the passenger seat will fold down the opposite way to carry long objects . If it did that would open up another possibilty with the flat cargo floor .

·
Registered
143 Posts
You wanted to buy a car and comfortable sleeping in it was one of the reasons for buying it? LOL.

I uh.. got drunk one night and got thrown into my hatch with the middle latch laid down before.. granted I had a pillow and curled up. I don't remember it being too bad, but it wasn't the best either.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have personally been stuck in a car from a few hours to more than 6 hours . This happens quite a few times a year . After having been in that position enough times I knew I had to be better prepared . As much as I liked the Z the first thing I checked was to see if the seats recline ... One day your back will thank you for it .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do fairly often. I slide the seat forward a bit a put the divider (rear seat for some) up, that lets the seat go down the furthest. Then I just lay down in it as low as I can.

I pillow for your back (where the seat back meats the seat bottom) and one for your head (the head rest is a bit firm to rest on all night) go a long way.

That said I have never gone a night without waking up at least twice, and I am in my 20s, so it is easier for me than some.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wait, what's the problem w/ sleeping in the hatch? I think the seats would be bad, but I've gotten tired washing my car, and taken a few minutes to lay down in the back, in the hatch w/ the 'back seat' folded down. Plenty of room! My GF was saying we could both sleep back there, camping or something.
You'd need a pillow, but it's not bad. I'm 6'3, so we're obviously talking sleeping on the side, legs folded in (spooning position).

·
Registered
397 Posts
There's no question it's doable , it's just a matter of your level of comfort . It's not like renting a room at the Marriott but works in a pinch . For camping not much beats the Honda Element if you prefer to sleep in the car, even the Honda Fit is decent choice . Thankfully the Japanese engineers designed the Zs seats to recline back pretty far , it's better than nothing . After being stuck for 4 hours in a smart car with no reclining seats the Z feels almost like a bed in comparison .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Haha, good point.

So, the smartcars seats don't move? I guess they don't want you messing w/ the vehicles finely tuned center of balance :D.
I had the Brabus version of the smart . The balance was just fine , .zero lean in corners , ran like a slot car , needed a turbo though . It used 17 in rims on the rear with 215/35/17 tire which made the rim and tire vulnerable to damage . I damaged one the first 2 weeks I had the car , cost of the 1 rim/ tire was $1000 and 2 weeks wait time from Germany to get a replacement . Incredibly fun car , even sounded great, too bad the dealers sux .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regularly I have little naps in my car and on a couple of occasions up to a 2 hours (both times with a pillow or cushion). I'm sure at some point in the future I will probably end up spending a whole night out in the car but I would not look forward to it. The only advice I would give is: Put the midsection up, put your seat a little forward and you will be able to lie your chair much further back and most importantly always have a pillow or cushion in the back!

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, I read this thread the other day, and had to try it. I'm 6'1" about 215#. I tried the seat scoot/recline method first. Not too bad. Pillows a definite must. You could get a few hours this way with minimal kinks in the neck, and/or back. Then I jumped in the hatch with the divider down, and both seats all the way forward. I think with a little workout mat cushion or something this method could be down right cozy. I put a pillow on the seat back, and stretched out. My feet touched the hatch, but I could stretch all the way out, and the seats are at about a 40 to 45 degree angle all the way forward so you are kind of in a Fowler's position(look it up). Not bad at all. I could pass a night that way at a rest stop if I had to, maybe a DVD mounted in the back of the deck lid? :rotfl:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 5'1 and slept in my CR-Z occasionally. It's not very comfortable even for a short person like me. And I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and sleep with weird position too. :closedeyes:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am 6'2" and spent a night in one on my way from NH to Chicago. It took a few minutes to find a comfortable setup but once I did I had a nice 6 hour nap at a rest stop in Ohio. I just folded down the back seats, put the passenger down all the way forward and had a nice night's sleep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've napped in it once or twice. The seats tilt pretty far back and if you roll on your side its comfortable enough. If you had a travel pillow under your neck it would help you sleep flat on your back.

Edit: I'm 5' 10" btw

1 - 20 of 79 Posts