Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Free Type 2 charging at my local leisure centre! They have four bays and hardly ever used.
Not quite a PHEV yet but it's a useful boost.. :)

View attachment 68462
Damn you did it! I dreamt about this after reading the "rejuveneation process" (there was a Type 2 to Schuko cable before the LED chargers)...

I have 2 question - I am thinking to a ZF1 with a lithium buddy - the buddy pack is not charged by the car so that it need to be charged?

Also do you have the right top thread where to be pointed about the Lithium buddy pack?

Thanks!

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have 2 question - I am thinking to a ZF1 with a lithium buddy - the buddy pack is not charged by the car so that it need to be charged?

Also do you have the right top thread where to be pointed about the Lithium buddy pack?

Thanks!
Your questions are a bit unclear??

ZF1 Nimh & Lithium buddy may be possible but there are lots of things to think about....

1) You will have pull the battery out to get access to the right connections on the Nimh pack.
2) You will have add some control electronics and a fuse, switch etc
3) You will have to work out the right voltage buddy pack etc.

·
Lil Glizzy
1,409 Posts
ok
what do we need if we have a used oem pack 2011 model (" control electronics and a fuse, switch etc ") is it worth trying to make a buddy pack from this older type
cheers
With the older 11-12 Nimh batteries you can literaly get a new higher capacity battery from greentec auto or bumblebee batteries. This will serve the same purpose of doing a buddy pack on the newer lithium 13+ CRZ's

Reactions: minhonda

·
Registered
105 Posts
With the older 11-12 Nimh batteries you can literaly get a new higher capacity battery from greentec auto or bumblebee batteries. This will serve the same purpose of doing a buddy pack on the newer lithium 13+ CRZ's
True but feels like to me as going to Honda and buying a new IMA pack... Also I am in Europe and the expedition+custom will be pricey.
Your questions are a bit unclear??

ZF1 Nimh & Lithium buddy may be possible but there are lots of things to think about....

1) You will have pull the battery out to get access to the right connections on the Nimh pack.
2) You will have add some control electronics and a fuse, switch etc
3) You will have to work out the right voltage buddy pack etc.
Hallo, I was basically ruminating on how the Lithium buddy pack is charged, once connected to a ni-mh ZF1 pack.
But the answer is probably that's charged mainly by the car's inverter.

I think I will not pursue the lithium buddy pack path road, mixing is too difficult for me ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Wouldn't any new NIMH pack have more capacity than an old one, whether it was from the aftermarket or from Honda? The point is the older batteries lose capacity over time. Sometimes you can get some of that capacity back by doing the rejuvenation process. Adding the buddy pack is just a way to get even more capacity but then requires if I understand correctly using available electric car chargers?

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,447 Posts
Wouldn't any new NIMH pack have more capacity than an old one, whether it was from the aftermarket or from Honda?
I think what they were referring to is a larger nominal capacity on the battery pack, rather than a difference in the usable capacity. Bumblebee batteries offers one that was 125% the nominal capacity of the OE honda, if I remember right.

You're right that newer/healthier batteries have a higher capacity than an older one.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
hi
what do we charge each cell too got 16v across the back , whats best setting on the sky rc charger ,
This is not really the right thread for this, but why are you charging your sticks/pack with the RC charger?
If you are doing some sort of Nimh pack rejuvenation fixing at the stick level I suggest start a new thread for your project and I will comment on that.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have discovered the mpg meter maxes out at 199.9mpg after driving at low speed ~30mph on pure electric for about ten miles today. (y)

I estimate with the 7kwh 50ah pack fitted it would do about 25miles at 30mph which equates to around 300wh/mile.

Fairly poor when used as pure electric due to large pumping losses in turning the engine etc.

The best way to use the available energy it is to assist the engine to get higher mpg for longer distances.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts