Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forums, and (hopefully) getting my CR-Z EX w/ Navi tomorrow, in white!! Very excited!

Anyway, I have a big diesel motor home and I'm planning on getting the 6 speed CR-Z. I know that cars with CVT transmissions can't be towed with the wheels on the ground, but can the manual be towed?

Anyone who could take a peek at their CR-Z owner manual, it would help me big time!

Thanks a lot, hope to make these forums a routine part of my time! :)

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
can you explain why the CVT can't be towed?? i'd imagine throwing it in neutral and making sure the e-brake isn't engaged to be just fine for towing...

with that said, i'd also believe the 6MT can be towed w/o issue...

are you asking b/c you want to tow the car with all 4 wheels on the ground? in either case i think, yes to both...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you explain why the CVT can't be towed?? i'd imagine throwing it in neutral and making sure the e-brake isn't engaged to be just fine for towing...

with that said, i'd also believe the 6MT can be towed w/o issue...

are you asking b/c you want to tow the car with all 4 wheels on the ground? in either case i think, yes to both...
Most, if not all, CVT's can't be flat towed because of the way they're designed, lubrication of the driveshaft or something or other... Some manuals can't be towed either, I have a BMW 540i, Shelby Mustang, Corvette Z-06 and Aston Martin V8 Vantage, they're all 6-speed manuals but can not be flat towed.

It's a pain in the butt to find a FUN car that can also be flat towed! :tong:

·
Registered
421 Posts
per the manual, page 196. Your vehicle is not designed to be towed behind a motor home. if your vehicle needs to be towed in an emergency, refer the emergency towing information P. 308.

p 308.

flatbed is the best option for towing your vehicle.

wheel lift equipment that takes your two front wheels off the ground is an acceptable way of towing your vehicle.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Coming from an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, if its a true manual transmission (which the CRZ IS) it CAN be towed. The main thing to look for is an actually clutch, and mechanical gears in the gear box. No clutch packs, steel belts, etc. A manual in neutral being towed is still lubricated buy a wet sump oil system that self lubricates as things spin, however an automatic is lubricated by the oil being pumped via the oil pump that is driven off the engine. Meaning if the engine isn't spinning and the tires are rolling, the input shaft is spinning dry. If someone says a manual can't be towed in neutral, it isn't a true manual.... Am I wrong?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It doesn't matter how you look at it, the CRZ is not designed to be towed. The only Honda's that can be flat towed(behind a motor home) is the Fit and CRV(and they require you to run them in nuetral for 5 min. and leave them in N while towing and the ignition key must be set to acc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.