Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have had a search around and can't find any information on this.

I see the Spoon/OEM GE8 cam swap gives around 10-15whp gain with FlashPro required.

My question is has anyone successfully swapped the cam and then also added a supercharger? The supercharger builds I have came across are all using the OEM cam with the supercharger and I assume the superchargers have all been developed with OEM cam in mind.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z Ex (6MT)
33 Posts
Hi all,

I see the Spoon/OEM GE8 cam swap gives around 10-15whp gain with FlashPro required.

My question is has anyone successfully swapped the cam and then also added a supercharger? The supercharger builds I have came across are all using the OEM cam with the supercharger and I assume the superchargers have all been developed with OEM cam in mind.

Thanks in advance
Supercharger is just a power adder and can be added to any sorts of applications if you look at it in general. If you have a tuner like Flashpro/KTuner then it can all be adjusted to work together fine. You'll just have to tweak the map setting for the VTEC and retune the timing and fuel for maximum power and safety.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
This is what adding the GE8 cam did for my HPD SC Z
Spoon High Cam Conversion Kit
It's a little messy, but the 178 and 180hp were stock cam, and the 190ish runs were with the cam.

As a rule most things that improve NA power will help when you add forced induction.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supercharger is just a power adder and can be added to any sorts of applications if you look at it in general. If you have a tuner like Flashpro/KTuner then it can all be adjusted to work together fine. You'll just have to tweak the map setting for the VTEC and retune the timing and fuel for maximum power and safety.
I know that its possible but just wondering if its reliable or are issues encountered. I'm most interested in seeing how the high cam interacts with the HKS 7040 but there's nothing out there on that. If the 7040 can bring you to 215bhp with more to give with the IMA adding 10 or so HP then it seems a better option than a cam and other SC.

This is what adding the GE8 cam did for my HPD SC Z
Spoon High Cam Conversion Kit
It's a little messy, but the 178 and 180hp were stock cam, and the 190ish runs were with the cam.

As a rule most things that improve NA power will help when you add forced induction.
Looks like good results but as above, the 7040 has been shown to achieve 215bhp thanks to @NathWraith 's build. I would love to know if it's reliable with the high-cam.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z Ex (6MT)
33 Posts
I know that its possible but just wondering if its reliable or are issues encountered. I'm most interested in seeing how the high cam interacts with the HKS 7040 but there's nothing out there on that. If the 7040 can bring you to 215bhp with more to give with the IMA adding 10 or so HP then it seems a better option than a cam and other SC.

Looks like good results but as above, the 7040 has been shown to achieve 215bhp thanks to @NathWraith 's build. I would love to know if it's reliable with the high-cam.

Thanks for the replies!
Based on what I know about the L15 motors in our Zs and Fits. The cap on hp is around 250 and thats pushing it before it breaks. If your motor is built then it's definitely possible but on a stock bottom end then that's on how it's tuned and how you drive. When I push my Z to 12+psi on my setup I got scared because it felt too fast for what it should and could handle. Lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I really love what @NathWraith has achieved with this car. I love the idea of a 200-215hp CRZ that could comfortably complete a 7 hour road trip. I don't want a track car but more of a traffic light beast and something that handles motorways comfortably.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z Ex (6MT)
33 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I really love what @NathWraith has achieved with this car. I love the idea of a 200-215hp CRZ that could comfortably complete a 7 hour road trip. I don't want a track car but more of a traffic light beast and something that handles motorways comfortably.
That's definitely possible then. You'll be absolutely fine if that's your plans with the car with that setup. The car itself will do the 7hr trip as long as you give it some time to cool off on hot days but thats with all cars. I would say your issue with long trips would be the seat. Lol, back pains.....

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the Fit cam on my 16 CRZ. Currently its got a Sprintex with a ported lower manifold and intake elbow. I plan to put on my smaller 70mm pulley at the same time and up the boost a bit. If you want to take the cheap route, just get a used GE8 longblock. They can be had for anywhere from $300 -$700 used depending on mileage.

Reactions: Rydo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting ready to do the Fit cam on my 16 CRZ. Currently its got a Sprintex with a ported lower manifold and intake elbow. I plan to put on my smaller 70mm pulley at the same time and up the boost a bit. If you want to take the cheap route, just get a used GE8 longblock. They can be had for anywhere from $300 -$700 used depending on mileage.
Perfect, just going to search for your build thread and will keep an eye out for how this develops. I’ll see what sort of power you are making when I hopefully come across it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Perfect, just going to search for your build thread and will keep an eye out for how this develops. I’ll see what sort of power you are making when I hopefully come across it.
I should be making right around 11-12 psi boost with the pulley reduction. I already have water meth injection to help prevent heatsoak. Someone on FB did the same setup I'm about to do and made pretty decent power on the dyno.

Reactions: Rydo
1 - 11 of 11 Posts