Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've never bought rims or tires before, and wondered if someone can type up a guideline on how to go about this.

I want 18" rims to replace my default 17". I know there are different sizes of 18" such as 18 x 7, or 18 X 7.5, 18 x 8. etc. I'm not really sure where to buy them, and what sizes work for the CR-Z. (I want it wider than the default.)

And I'm assuming I'd need new tires. Do I need to buy specialized tires for the 18" If so...are there size limits? (I just want slightly wider than default all-season tires.)

And how do i go about getting all of these to HOnda to get installed. 4 rims and 4 tires aren't gonna fit in my CR-Z.

Thanks for the help! :blush:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've seen those threads, and like you said, there are a lot of different answers most of which are only hunches by some, more numbers thrown around that get confusing, and dead end posts. In other words everything's in pieces. That's why someone should write a guildline for buying rims and tires, and what sizes and width are safe.

More organized.

They did this for the bulb replacement category and listed all the bulbs required for different parts of the car and how to replace them in one page....it was excellent.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ problem is people have different tastes. I for one am open to rolling fenders etc.

I'll try this again.

diameter: 15 to 19 are probably the limits. 16-18 are ideal. (some will try to fit 20's and it may be possible but i wont address that).

width. - 6.5 - 8 is ideal. You can fit a wider wheel though with fender mods and careful consideration of offset

offset: 45 to 30 is fine and will vary based on the width you choose.

tire: the heaver the tire the lower your MPG will be. chose something as close to stock width as possible unless you need a wider tire for some reason (track, you know you need more grip etc).

there are so many variables that this post cant cover them all. you will need to post specs of what youre considering.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
^^ A lot more moving parts - if you will - on fitting rims and tires.

This may help...

Honda CR-Z Rims Wheels and Tires Upgrade Guide

Admin: Hopefully I am not breaking any rules by posting a competing Forum even if the most users they have had on at one time is 46..

:blush:

This thread probably needs to shift over to the Wheels and Tires Discussion.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you can also go to tire rack or discount tires websites, enter the CRZ and then select 18" wheels and it will show you what will fit, and the recommended tire size.

In an 18, 205/40-18 is the recommended tire size.
For that size tire, a 7-8" rim is specified.

So if you stick with anything in 7-8" wide, you will be ok, and 7.5 is probably ideal.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
you can also go to tire rack or discount tires websites, enter the CRZ and then select 18" wheels and it will show you what will fit, and the recommended tire size.

In an 18, 205/40-18 is the recommended tire size.
For that size tire, a 7-8" rim is specified.

So if you stick with anything in 7-8" wide, you will be ok, and 7.5 is probably ideal.
True.
Watch out for the Rim Offset..

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am currently waiting on my new wheel / tire combo to arrive via UPS from discounttiredirect.com--good people to talk to! I've bought from them before...they know their stuff.

I went with Drag DR-9 Rims 17x7.5" 40 offset. The math the (discount) guy did put my new wheels sticking out 3/4" farther than the stockers. Perfect up front, may need thin spacers for the back. We'll see. They should be here any day. I think they're like 2lbs heavier than the stock wheels, which isn't bad.

Also I went with the new Yokohama Avid Envigor tires in 215/45/17. They are supposed to have insanely low rolling resistance, excellent wet weather traction, and a CRAZY 560 treadwear rating!!! All of those reasons are why I bought them, after much research.

I'll post a few good pics when I get them on (within the next week or so). :thumbsup:

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Call the tire rack after you look at the wheels they have for the car. They are very helpful. I could not remember how the offset worked from say 45 mm to 48 and very quickly they will explain that the higher number will push the wheel face out towards the fender and a lower number will tuck it under closer to the frame. They can also advise how agressive you will be getting and if the fender will need rolled.

Good Luck. Also just from past experience stay away from heavy wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.