Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ad on this CR-Z forum looking for fog light assy’s. for my CR-Z. I was contacted by Text, 940-343-5177 by a forum member, screen name “Goldscar” AKA Mark Joey last week stating that he has what I’m looking for. We agreed on a price for the fog lights and a cargo cover. I paid him through Zelle per his request. He then said he would ship them on Thursday 9/7/22 and sent a USPS tracking number. The number does not exist with the USPS… He also won’t answer his text. And the parts have never arrived…

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, this forum has a problem with scammers... Some time ago I sold a a member my roof rack and someone tried to contact the guy saying it was me and he wanted him to send the money. Luckly I was made aware of what was going on and he didn't scam the guy.
Sadly I can't help you. Try contacting Zelle, maybe thay'll be able to refund you the money.

·
Lil Glizzy
1,409 Posts
BIG red flag when someone posts anything for sale and they only have 2 posts on the forum. We should block new accounts from using the classified section until they reach a certain number of posts. I always use paypal when buying/selling anything. And to anyone that thinks paypal is only slightly more secure then any other payment service.... Its actually VERY secure if you conduct a business transaction instead of a friends and family transaction.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Most of the scammers want you to use friends and family for that reason or Zelle. There have been lots of reports I saw where PayPal was an issue. Maybe it is better now but any time a poster has no history, only sends private messages, has less than 10 total posts that should be a big clue. Even bigger if their message is generic and no pictures. Always ask for a picture with something printed on piece of paper in the picture which is unique to your conversation. Even then, most private messages to WTB postings are scams.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the scammers want you to use friends and family for that reason. There have been lots of reports I saw where PayPal was an issue. Maybe it is better now but any time a poster has no history, only sends private messages,has less than 10 total posts that should be a big clue. Even bigger if their message is generic and no pictures. Always ask for a picture with something printed on piece of paper in the picture which is unique to your conversation. Even then most private messages to WTB postings are scams.
Great idea, I rarely buy things online.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,447 Posts
hey, @Danno ... we do our level best to make sure that this doesn't happen. I've contacted the other mod staff about beefing up our classifieds restrictions. This happens on just about every WTB post where we get someone DMing asking to contact them outside of the forums, use F&F or Zelle for payment.

putting aside the moderator hat for a moment: I'm sorry you got ripped off. I've been there before, it sucks.
BIG red flag when someone posts anything for sale and they only have 2 posts on the forum. We should block new accounts from using the classified section until they reach a certain number of posts. I always use paypal when buying/selling anything. And to anyone that thinks paypal is only slightly more secure then any other payment service.... Its actually VERY secure if you conduct a business transaction instead of a friends and family transaction.
This is all good advice
beware of gzebe, Ben... He also wants only your money...
please elaborate on this comment? use the report button on any posts you think are suspect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
please elaborate on this comment? use the report button on any posts you think are suspect.
i'm searching GE8 cams and rockers in another thread (power to the people), he sent me a pm and said i should write an email, then we talked over email. i thought it is "j1000" but it was a person who only wanted my money, so i lost 200$ (paypal family & friends). the pm was erased by this user after we talked over email and he had the money... i hope you understand my bad english :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would it be possible to get IP logs in these situations? Scammers man 🤬

Also how are they doing this? Are these bots that scour the classifieds in forums and when there’s a live hit. Someone takes over or something ?

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I have on this forum many times posted to be aware of posters with little to no history on the forum, generic language, no pictures and mostly private messages requesting payments using less secure methods of payments.

You need to use some common sense and presume at all times it might be a scam. Don't use a form of payment connected directly to your bank account or debit card. Other methods have more security and better liability protection.

Making a warning thread is good but using the reporting system is better despite a moderator suggestion to not use it.
Always be smart online.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
It is automated bots. The main issue is the scammers are using the private messages system so there is less logging and tracing.
If legitimate the conversation will be mostly in the posting till the payment portion of the transaction.

Again you need specific information from the seller and non random pictures.
We have had scammers use pictures from old postings or from an image search. This is why I suggested the unique phase printed in the pictures.
Look very carefully at the language used. Is it generic or specific? Usually it is in the form of I have this or my friend at some random free email address with random numbers and letters in it unrelated to the poster's information has it. Contact some phone number, email address or other place not on the forum different from the poster's information.
Also be wary if they never post except in WTB or for sale threads.
The other thing to look for is other postings by them in other threads but what they post has no relation to the topic or is short and generic.

Again presume scam till proven otherwise.

Would it be possible to get IP logs in these situations? Scammers man 🤬

Also how are they doing this? Are these bots that scour the classifieds in forums and when there’s a live hit. Someone takes over or something ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great points, the thing about scams is everyone learns it the first time the hard way through..just depends on how bad it was

But this all reminds me of when recycler.com was still bigger than Craigslist.. during negotiations, people would take pictures with what they were selling while holding a piece of paper with todays date and time hand written on it to prove they had what they were selling.

Everything back then was cash in hand, so this probability wouldn’t work as well today.

Someone mentioned a minimum post count before being able to post classified. This sounds simple to implement and a great idea to protect actual legit new members who come for the first time make a”account to sell stuff and also differentiate them from the drive by scammer accounts.

I just fed so bad for these guys first experience here is

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Even if that was done, they can still message via private message and have full access to the site after 5 postings. I would not personally transact with anyone who has very few postings or their account has not existed for at least a few months, with at least some postings not related to selling or buying items.

One of the ways they get past the filters is to randomly post generic answers or other postings in old threads. Seen more than a few lately where they will just quote something from further in the past but add no comment or something generic not related to the thread they posted in or a rephrasing of something that was already said. Most frequently it is just the word Hi. Maybe we need a minimum word count to post without an auto report to the moderators.

The date and time is something you can still insist on, but many of the scam postings and Private messages have no picture and the description of the item as I stated is very generic. There have been fewer postings in the actual threads than there were in the past, maybe the other behind the scenes anti scam tools are working, and they have moved to Pms?

Great points, the thing about scams is everyone learns it the first time the hard way through..just depends on how bad it was

But this all reminds me of when recycler.com was still bigger than Craigslist.. during negotiations, people would take pictures with what they were selling while holding a piece of paper with todays date and time hand written on it to prove they had what they were selling.

Everything back then was cash in hand, so this probability wouldn’t work as well today.

Someone mentioned a minimum post count before being able to post classified. This sounds simple to implement and a great idea to protect actual legit new members who come for the first time make a”account to sell stuff and also differentiate them from the drive by scammer accounts.

I just fed so bad for these guys first experience here is

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good morning All, it sucks that we live in a world like this... none the less I'm still looking for complete 2011-2012 complete fog light and garnish assemblies, and this time I will go about it differently. Again just wanted people to know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts