Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was dubious about the CR-Z but test-drove one over the weekend and was impressed. I've always been attracted to a car whose ****pit wraps around me, and the CR-Z certainly fits the bill. Decent blend of sporty handling and pothole-absorbing ride. Love the hi-tech dash. And what a sweet sound system.

Why I'm on the fence:

1. Been a number of years since I've had to worry about ice and snow, and now here in am living in wintery Cleveland. I worry about how the CR-Z will cope with the slick roads and mounds of snow the road crews create. And should the worst happen, well, it's not a whole lot bigger than the MINI Cooper I'm driving now. (Guess that's why I'm thinking the Juke would be a safer option.)

2. (and this may seem lame to some) It's just me and my four-legged son, a 75# Shepherd-Malamute mix who's not much of a car dog to begin with but who tolerates it since he has a back seat to himself and windows to stick his head out of. I have no doubt he will fit in the rear area, but I worry (big time) about how he's going to react to being deprived of his beloved windows.

Would love to hear from current CR-Z owners. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hey, theres some info on the forums about dogs fitting into the CRZ. Heres one of the more entertaining posts:

The 2 bigs really don't take up too much room once they've settled in. They just curl up and sleep. Or if they're awake, Nox, my Lab lays in the very back, on the rubber mat, so he doesn't slip and looks out the rear glass. Locust, my Catahoula, looks out one of the side windows, if not sleeping. LUI, my bully mix fits nicely in the front, curled up or sitting.

Here are some pics. They were a little freaked out at wtf was going on. I've never 'staged' them before, so they weren't in tune w/ me. It will be a bit tight for them until they've chilled out and found their spot.

Loki will curl up at the window and look out when he wants:

Once Nox chills out he lays left to right/right to left. It looks like he's taking up the whole hatch in this pic, but it's an optical illusion. He's on the mat only. Not much room is taken. Locust bailed and got in to the front.

Here's LUI. He's going to be in front:

It's a 3 day trip. So each dog will get rotated.

I've planned how I'm packing: Auto tools are already in the spare tire well. My duffle bag w/ clothes will be in back w/ dogs. My backpack/camera bag will be in the passenger foot well, along with my glass melting torch. My glass (rods and tubes, various diameters) will be in a box between seats and partition. My glass tools will be in the cubbies under the fold down partition and some will be in the box w/ glass.

It'll be tight, but doable. My dogs are super chill and love the car. And I'm taking a bad ass route down the Easter coast of Mexico to the Yucatan, about 3 hours West of Cancun.
The rest of the thread is here:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/2609-pet-owners-2.html

As for the snow, I traded in my other car and now the CRZ is my only ride. I dont think it will have too much trouble in the snow even if its deep but just in case, I put some money away for dedicated snow tires. you should be fine. Theres also another thread here where a member took the CRZ through a snowstorm already.

EDIT: heres that thread http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/2300-cr-z-ice.html

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Was dubious about the CR-Z but test-drove one over the weekend and was impressed. I've always been attracted to a car whose ****pit wraps around me, and the CR-Z certainly fits the bill. Decent blend of sporty handling and pothole-absorbing ride. Love the hi-tech dash. And what a sweet sound system.

Why I'm on the fence:

1. Been a number of years since I've had to worry about ice and snow, and now here in am living in wintery Cleveland. I worry about how the CR-Z will cope with the slick roads and mounds of snow the road crews create. And should the worst happen, well, it's not a whole lot bigger than the MINI Cooper I'm driving now. (Guess that's why I'm thinking the Juke would be a safer option.)

2. (and this may seem lame to some) It's just me and my four-legged son, a 75# Shepherd-Malamute mix who's not much of a car dog to begin with but who tolerates it since he has a back seat to himself and windows to stick his head out of. I have no doubt he will fit in the rear area, but I worry (big time) about how he's going to react to being deprived of his beloved windows.

Would love to hear from current CR-Z owners. Thanks!
Welcome to the group.

Your concern for winter driving is warranted. I have a Suzuki SX4 (or wifey does) that is used for winter driving. But, I would think it would handle as good as any front wheel drive vehicle as long as the right rubber was on it.

Here is a Thread on snow tires for the Z

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/wheels-tires-discussion/2015-snow-tires-2.html

On the other family member. I and others have found dogs love the back. Here is a thread on the subject.

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/2609-pet-owners.html

This forum has a lot of good information. Good luck. CR-Z comes highly recommended.

R/Scott

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Sorry, guess we were answering about the same time. Those Pics are great.

R/Scott

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the pet feedback. My concern doesn't center around whether my pup will fit in the back area -- I'd seen the above pictures before so I knew he would -- but whether any other pet owners have mutts like mine who treasure being able to stick their heads out the windows... and how/if they've adapted to not having that window.

We got a smattering of snow here in Cleveland this morning, and rain last night that froze over. I passed two accidents just on the way into the office. :scared:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Appreciate the pet feedback. My concern doesn't center around whether my pup will fit in the back area -- I'd seen the above pictures before so I knew he would -- but whether any other pet owners have mutts like mine who treasure being able to stick their heads out the windows... and how/if they've adapted to not having that window.

We got a smattering of snow here in Cleveland this morning, and rain last night that froze over. I passed two accidents just on the way into the office. :scared:
If your primary concern is suitability for winter driving in Cleveland, then the CRZ is probably not your best choose of vehicles for several reasons. It does not have higher than average ground clearance and it has a bit of a long overhang in the front. Those factors aside, it is probably as good as as other FWD coupe in it's class. But a vehicle with 4WD will be a far better choice for Cleveland winters.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey, theres some info on the forums about dogs fitting into the CRZ. Heres one of the more entertaining posts:

The rest of the thread is here:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/2609-pet-owners-2.html

As for the snow, I traded in my other car and now the CRZ is my only ride. I dont think it will have too much trouble in the snow even if its deep but just in case, I put some money away for dedicated snow tires. you should be fine. Theres also another thread here where a member took the CRZ through a snowstorm already.

EDIT: heres that thread http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/2300-cr-z-ice.html
I'm glad you found my post entertaining. :lol:

Yep, those are my sons. I've always got atleast 1 with me. I came from an FJ Cruiser, which didn't have rear roll downs. But in the CR-Z, you can put the passenger seat a little more forward and the pup will have access to the rolldown window. The windows really are quite long.

Imo, your dog will get plenty of fresh air and like I said, if you move the pas. seat forward, he'll have a bit of access to the window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.