Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!

I’ve lurked on the forum for a while, but I think it’s time to record the various parts I've subjected my Z to! Also, I’m on Instagram as @ZF1_Boi.

Build Objectives:
  • Reasonable comfort as a daily driver and occasional road trip vehicle
  • Better-than-stock capability as an autocross/rallycross/track car
  • Looks cool/scene points lol
I’ve owned my 2011 North Shore Blue Pearl CR-Z EX 6MT since August 2019. It was purchased with 49,844 miles and a salvage title for $6,800. Prior to this I drove a 2011 Honda Civic LX-S sedan.

I ordered my first mod while waiting to fly out to collect the car… a 2 inch eBay exhaust:

Next, I ordered a Delrin shift knob, Manzo lowering springs, 18x8.5 +35 Vors TR3 wheels (Volk CE28 replicas), 225/35 Achilles ATR Sport 2 tires, and blue aluminum lug nuts from eBay. To top off this stereotypical "20 year old's first Honda" build, my friend gifted me a neochrome front tow hook.

Now I could definitely stand out from the Lambos, Ferraris, and actually interesting builds at Cars and Coffee :rolleyes:

After getting bored of the look after a few weeks, I plasti-dipped the wheels silver for some contrast:

I decided to change the style and goal of my build. The heavy replica wheels and a loud, painful exhaust were losing their luster.

Autocross and Rallycross:

The next phase involved the following modifications:
  • 195/60r16 Nexen Winguard Winspike WH62 tires on stock wheels for rallycross and snow
  • 17x7.5 +45 Rota Slipstream wheels (Desmond Regamaster/Spoon SW338 replicas)
  • 215/45r17 Barum Bravuris tires
  • Kamispeed test pipe
  • Megan Racing Axleback Muffler (and I replaced the stock mid pipe)
  • D2 Street Coilovers

(I chose 995 because I think the CR-Z looks like a spaceship, so why not have 995 down the side like the Police Spinner in Blade Runner!)

I participated in 2 SCCA Rallycross events and 1 unsanctioned Corvette Club autocross in 2021, and am excited to do more! Hopefully I can learn enough to catch up to my friend in the Abarth (unlikely)

Which brings us to the current state of the car (as of February 2022):
  • Summer wheels: 17x7.5 +45 Rota Slipstreams with 215/45 Barum Bravuris tires
  • Winter wheels: 16in stockies with 195/60 Nexen Winguard Winspike WH62 tires
  • Camber bolts
  • Went back to Manzo lowering springs due to ride quality
  • Kamispeed test pipe
  • Stock intake with K&N filter
  • GE8 Intake Manifold
  • Megan Racing Axleback muffler
  • Delrin shift knob
  • 10in eBay headunit
  • Seasucker Monkeybar roof racks and a Menabo Quasar roof box
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Car Steering part

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I love the color on the car. That was my first choice back when I had an 11 CVT but all I could find was CPB color. I eventually sold the 11 and upgraded to a 6spd 16 IPW. Its got a fair amount of work done to it. Sprintex SC, BC coilovers, Spoon fsb, HPD exhaust and some other bits for handeling. I also put on a Wilwood front brake kit for improved stopping power. My hope is to start doing some cirtuit race coarse events in the car and see how it does.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the color on the car. That was my first choice back when I had an 11 CVT but all I could find was CPB color. I eventually sold the 11 and upgraded to a 6spd 16 IPW. Its got a fair amount of work done to it. Sprintex SC, BC coilovers, Spoon fsb, HPD exhaust and some other bits for handeling. I also put on a Wilwood front brake kit for improved stopping power. My hope is to start doing some cirtuit race coarse events in the car and see how it does.
Thanks! The 2016 front bumper is so aggressive, really makes me wish I had done more research before buying my 2011. I'm definitely interested to hear more about how the CR-Z does on track from folks with extensive parts lists like yours. There's not much info out there unlike our Fit cousins.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks! The 2016 front bumper is so aggressive, really makes me wish I had done more research before buying my 2011. I'm definitely interested to hear more about how the CR-Z does on track from folks with extensive parts lists like yours. There's not much info out there unlike our Fit cousins.
Ive already done a few track events and been out to tail of the Dragon a few times in the 16 on the current setup. The Wilwood brake kit is a recent addition so well see how the brakes do on the track. I can already say the car handles extremely well on the current setup. I also have a set of pillowball mounts to replace the stock rubber shock mounts up front. I expect handling to get even better once I get them installed.

Reactions: Phage

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
407 Posts
I can tell you took some inspiration from my thread by the way you laid yours out and how you follow my instagram lol. As much as anyone could rag on you for reps and basic mods, at least it's not a pavement princess and you take it to tracks and rally cross. Hopefully you can spring for some expensive goodies down the line!

·
Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,172 Posts
You’ve got the spoiler on the back end, now it needs the front dressed up. A vented hood, or a spoiler maybe?

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can tell you took some inspiration from my thread by the way you laid yours out and how you follow my instagram lol. As much as anyone could rag on you for reps and basic mods, at least it's not a pavement princess and you take it to tracks and rally cross. Hopefully you can spring for some expensive goodies down the line!
Yeah, I've definitely taken inspiration from lots of folks here, especially your thread and immaculate build lol. I'm not working with much of a budget, but I do want to make it a point to have a lot of experiences with this car. Sometimes that's meant foregoing more expensive parts for cheaper ones just to get out there and drive, but I do hope I can find some nicer parts eventually! (Especially a CWest front bumper)

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’ve got the spoiler on the back end, now it needs the front dressed up. A vented hood, or a spoiler maybe?
I agree! I've been eyeing some of the front lips people have been running, but I don't think Wyoming's roads will take kindly to them. I have been thinking about doing some vents in the stock hood, however 🤔

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rallycross looks fun! That's something I haven't done yet. I'm planning on doing PPIR Time Attack later on this year. Do you make it that far south? It's a really fun and approachable autocross that they run. $50 and simple rules based on mods and HP. The CR-Z should be fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do you like the sea sucker rack? I’ve been looking for a cheaper roof rack option for skis/snowboards and maybe a bike down the line. I’ll admit I like the look of a more standard mounting roof rack, but if that’s easy to put on and take off and can hold up in longer trips to lower temperatures it seems pretty nice.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rallycross looks fun! That's something I haven't done yet. I'm planning on doing PPIR Time Attack later on this year. Do you make it that far south? It's a really fun and approachable autocross that they run. $50 and simple rules based on mods and HP. The CR-Z should be fun.
I do! The dirt lot behind the stands at PPIR is one of the common Rallycross venues, actually 😅

I'd really love to try time attack, and I'm sure my friend in the Abarth would be interested too. If you want to PM me any info you have on that, that would be awesome 👍

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you like the sea sucker rack? I’ve been looking for a cheaper roof rack option for skis/snowboards and maybe a bike down the line. I’ll admit I like the look of a more standard mounting roof rack, but if that’s easy to put on and take off and can hold up in longer trips to lower temperatures it seems pretty nice.
I'm still sort of testing the rack out. I haven't had significant weight on it yet, but it has held up to 60+ mph crosswinds on 80mph highways in the summer.

Recently, as it's gotten colder, I've noticed there are a lot more leaks when it gets down to freezing temps, so I'm a bit on the fence. As for taking it on and off, that's extremely easy and so far I'd highly recommend it in ideal weather conditions.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
407 Posts
Yeah, I've definitely taken inspiration from lots of folks here, especially your thread and immaculate build lol. I'm not working with much of a budget, but I do want to make it a point to have a lot of experiences with this car. Sometimes that's meant foregoing more expensive parts for cheaper ones just to get out there and drive, but I do hope I can find some nicer parts eventually! (Especially a CWest front bumper)
PM me if you ever want to order something from Japan. I can give you a guy who can get you anything you want.

Also, I do not recommend the C-West bumper if you are worried about scraping it. Fiberglass can be fixed but it is extremely expensive to do so. My FRP FEEL'S left fender got cracked in shipping and the cost just to fix the left side properly was almost the price of a new pair of fenders shipped. I'd recommend the Mugen front lip because it's made from the same plastic as the bumper so it's flexible, and Mugen makes very high quality parts. The bodyshops I go to always hate fiberglass and they are always blown away by Mugen's quality.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I do! The dirt lot behind the stands at PPIR is one of the common Rallycross venues, actually 😅

I'd really love to try time attack, and I'm sure my friend in the Abarth would be interested too. If you want to PM me any info you have on that, that would be awesome 👍
I say check out the PPIR website they have the schedule and rules. I haven't driven in it since January 2020 so things have probably evolved a bit. Generally you get 3-5 timed runs during the day depending how busy it is.

I think the CR-Z would be classed as SS (Super Slow) or FB (FWD Class B) depending on power to weight. I'd don't know off the top of my head. Also 225mm 200 treadwear max tires. Ends up being a lot of fun with all sorts of different cars out there.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a friend that calls my car the Delta Flyer, she was a Voyager fan. :D
I'm a Voyager fan too! Surprised I didn't see the similarities myself 😅 Makes me want to fire up Elite Force now lol

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Not a huge update, but I also mounted my replica Mugen wing. For now it's plasti-dipped, but hopefully soon I can have the posts color matched.

I damaged one of my Rota wheels on a curb as well. I'm debating repainting all of them hyper silver or white, as I'm concerned it'll be hard to match the original matte black.

And I've moved down to Oklahoma! Anyone know any tracks or events down here that are worth going to?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
View attachment 68001 View attachment 68002
View attachment 68003

Not a huge update, but I also mounted my replica Mugen wing. For now it's plasti-dipped, but hopefully soon I can have the posts color matched.

I damaged one of my Rota wheels on a curb as well. I'm debating repainting all of them hyper silver or white, as I'm concerned it'll be hard to match the original matte black.

And I've moved down to Oklahoma! Anyone know any tracks or events down here that are worth going to?
Looking good! OK is a big state but here's one: Hallett Motor Racing Circuit. Off 412 in Jennings, about a half hour West of Tulsa. And if you're a race fan, the Chili Bowl is kind of a big deal every winter.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, thanks to @BronsonF's thread about participating in Sundae Cup at Gridlife, the new goal of this build will be to become a Sundae Cup compliant autocross/daily. That way I'll be equipped for Autocross and can one day head to a Sundae Cup if the opportunity presents itself.

What that means:
- I'll be repairing and then selling the 17in Rota wheels locally and getting some 16x7 wheels for 205 width race tires. I'm thinking Konig, Enkei, or Motegi.

- Forget dreams of supercharging or GE8 cams or merging onto the interstate in a timely fashion

- Koni Orange shocks to properly balance out the Manzo lowering springs

- More aggressive brake pads and fluid. Probably paint the calipers too for the scene points.

- Figuring out a better way to transport spare race wheels and tools. I want to avoid street driving expensive 200tw tires as much as possible.

- Maybe figure out a lip and side skirts

- Hybrid Racing shifter or at least some new bushings might be good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts