Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
MISSION COMPLETE. Yesterday my OEM drivers handle arrived. $133. I took 5 hours to complete installation. I think I could do it now in 90 minutes. My XXL hands were ripped up..i duct taped them for protection. Thankfully 2 guys did videos available on youtube.com . One comment was a life saver..."to install the lock..it must SLIDE LEFT on the handle bracket then will lock in place". Also, I drilled out the hole in the door 1mm so the left handle bolt could be threaded after the right bolt was threaded.
Forums like this and youtube. gave me the courage.
When I googled labor costs for a CRZ exterior handle replacement it ranged from a low of $350 to over $500 Labor only. I am glad it is over. ?

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
Nice! Yeah, I shake my head at labor costs, but the only way to see if you can do it yourself is to, uh, do it yourself and see how it goes. What you learn from mistakes, makes you the "expert" from living that particular experience. :)
My handles are still doing their job, but one day, I might have to review some of these posts before I have to dive into the project.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I made the suggestions as a summary of all the solutions others have posted. There are a few on here who are working on 3 d printed ones and hope they will maybe offer to the community? It appears the issue is more affecting pre 2012 CR-Zs so maybe later ones are more durable? Used beats not having anything at all. My personal choice if The Speed Bump ever has this failure is to find the lowest cost new one in the CBP color or if that is not available whatever color is. I am very gentle on my door handles but if it is a design flaw I presume it will eventually affect my 2013. I am unhappy a major part which is used daily was made out of plastic with no metal in it. At least they are not pot metal but still.
Maybe you could plastic weld that piece back together. Glues or epoxy won't really work on that type of plastic.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Maybe you could plastic weld that piece back together. Glues or epoxy won't really work on that type of plastic.
So I've actually got a spare broken one that I"ve been tinkering with. Plastic weld is not suitable on this location due to a lot of factors. Chief factors being: location of the fracture relative to the stress points and the multiple fracture locations. I expect to have a prototype repair plate/assembly in the next couple months

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has anyone tried coating the rubber door seals? I sprayed some turtle wax sealant on both sides and I think it's made it easier to pull the door handle to open the door.

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
I have used silicone spray on every soft rubber part on my whole CR-Z usually using a shop rag. I have done this on every car I have owned in the last 10 years. There is nothing worse than a door seal or other soft rubber part drying out, shredding or sticking. I use white lithium spray for metal pivot points and hinges.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts