Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find a replacement for the drivers side?
It seems a lot of us have had this problem. I went to get into my car and it completely broke off.
Now I have to get in on the passengers side :(

Edit: sorry for the lack of space bar in the title

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone know where I can find a replacement for the drivers side?
It seems a lot of us have had this problem. I went to get into my car and it completely broke off.
Now I have to get in on the passengers side :(

Edit: sorry for the lack of space bar in the title
You should check out Majestic Honda or HondaPartsNow for starts. Best of luck on your endeavors.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The tear-down is pretty in-depth, since that handle is basically the first part to go in. Without checking the service manual I think you have to take the inner door skin out, then the door latch mechanism, then the door handle, but you may have to remove the window track.

I think @digiphux is the one that has links for the service manuals online?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The tear-down is pretty in-depth, since that handle is basically the first part to go in. Without checking the service manual I think you have to take the inner door skin out, then the door latch mechanism, then the door handle, but you may have to remove the window track.

I think @digiphux is the one that has links for the service manuals online?
Believe this is what you are looking for yes?

2011-2012 Honda CR-Z SM

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When you do pull this apart.. can you please take lots of pictures? Would be interesting to make a DIY with pics. I can host them for you if you would like so that they stay up forever.

Be interesting to see WHICH parts cause the break. Its either the plastic handle on the outside, or the linkage piece between the plastic handle, and the 'door handle rod':

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-Z&catcgry2=2011&catcgry3=3DR+EX&catcgry4=6MT&catcgry5=DOOR+LOCKS+-+OUTER+HANDLE&vinsrch=yes

Notice how the kit (#15, #27) both come with either #16, or #28?

I think this 'joint' part is the problem. It may get weak over time and flex.. and then eventually you pull too hard and break the outer door handle piece!!

Be interesting to see what is causing this problem on the 2011's. Mine is also having this problem now that its heating up. It has been for a while, but I'm wondering if I pull mine apart and replace just this 'joint' piece if it will fix the problem, or if the outer door handle itself is starting to stretch and break because its also plastic?

Shot you a link to the FSM as well. Good luck, and take pics!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When you do pull this apart.. can you please take lots of pictures? Would be interesting to make a DIY with pics. I can host them for you if you would like so that they stay up forever.

Be interesting to see WHICH parts cause the break. Its either the plastic handle on the outside, or the linkage piece between the plastic handle, and the 'door handle rod':

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-Z&catcgry2=2011&catcgry3=3DR+EX&catcgry4=6MT&catcgry5=DOOR+LOCKS+-+OUTER+HANDLE&vinsrch=yes

Notice how the kit (#15, #27) both come with either #16, or #28?

I think this 'joint' part is the problem. It may get weak over time and flex.. and then eventually you pull too hard and break the outer door handle piece!!

Be interesting to see what is causing this problem on the 2011's. Mine is also having this problem now that its heating up. It has been for a while, but I'm wondering if I pull mine apart and replace just this 'joint' piece if it will fix the problem, or if the outer door handle itself is starting to stretch and break because its also plastic?

Shot you a link to the FSM as well. Good luck, and take pics!!
In other cars I've seen with this type of door handle, the break usually happens at the place where the paddle part of the door handle meets the hinge part, and the only way to correct it is to replace item 15/27 in the part sheet you linked to.

One thing you can do to increase the life of the door handle is to only use it to pop the latch; don't use it to pull open the door.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know that I have to park my car with the driver's side facing east at work, because if I park it west facing the driver's door will be too soft to open the door.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
The service manuals shouldn't have changed for the bodywork, as the cars haven't. Bumpers and electronics, mostly, some interior trim. I've not seen a newer manual come by, they must have them locked away for people who pay for them.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I am willing to pay they simply do not exist on paper. Dealerships I presume have them electronically.
The service manuals shouldn't have changed for the bodywork, as the cars haven't. Bumpers and electronics, mostly, some interior trim. I've not seen a newer manual come by, they must have them locked away for people who pay for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if anyone still have this issue. removing it was actually not that hard. I did a temporary fix on mine but looks like it might even be a permanent fix for me at least.

took me about 20 mins to remove the door panel and take the door handle off.
another 20 minutes to cut the piece of metal i needed and drill.
20 minutes to put everything back.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good idea. Hopefully that will last. We had a warm day last week, maybe mid 70s and I noticed my handle had to be pulled a little harder than normal to open the door. Looks like I might be borrowing your idea. KoolAid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
if anyone still have this issue. removing it was actually not that hard. I did a temporary fix on mine but looks like it might even be a permanent fix for me at least.

took me about 20 mins to remove the door panel and take the door handle off.
another 20 minutes to cut the piece of metal i needed and drill.
20 minutes to put everything back.
This is late but could you explain more in depth how you performed the temporary fix? Did you cut a piece of metal to the shape of the broken part and reinforce it on both sides then install it back?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts