Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my biggest things I'd like to change on the CR-Z is I can't see **** backing up at night. Not so much the limited view but simply the backup lights seem extremely dim to me. I've read some of the posts about replacing lights with LED's. Not looking at all for "looks" just a much brighter light bulb if one exists. Would some of these aftermarket light bulbs be a lot brighter. Halogen or LED any brighter then stock??? Suggestions

Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't personally tried, but I'd bet some of the LED bulb options would be brighter than the stock reverse lights. Just get the highest wattage available that will fit in the space available. (Dealextreme has a lot of LED bulb options)

But, in this car I think you're expected to rely on blind faith when backing up. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I looked around and around, with no hard evidence for leds. So I bought the T10 38 SMD Car Light Bulb 3528, White that everybody seems to use. Price was ~$16 for two, took 3 weeks to get. Not very bright. Very disappointed. I have an actual light meter so here are the test results.

Standard stock backup light ~ 20 footcandles at 3 feet from car.

T10 38 SMD ~ 4 footcandles at 3 feet from car

The leds looked very pretty even glittery with all the leds inside, nice pure white blue just like an led flashlight but just no actual lighting power. Some may say got poor quality led, but they look just like the more expensive ones and these are so bad that even better ones would have to be 5 times better just to be equal to stock. I've read in the forums similar result with the inside leds, they look very nice but dimmer. So I've actually measured the difference, the T10 38 SMD put out much much less light then stock, Darn... Oh took about 3 minutes to replace, whole back light assembly comes off with 2 screws next to trunk lid.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
So your back to stock now still lookin for brighter lights?

I have to step on the brake lightly to get more light in the back when i back up, dont know why i never thought of getting brighter reverse lights. Please let us know what the brightest bulbs we can put in when someone knows. TIA

·
Registered
3 Posts
well guys i have the same exact problem backing up is terrible so a coworker found a website and was ordering a bunch of leds for his car and i figured why not try some reverse lights i should have them on friday and i will let you know how they turn out and all the wattage etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Okay I KNOW these are for "reese" type hitches on suvs, but the lamps / reflectors are removable from the plastic housing! Looks like there "might" be enough room in the existing diffuser area for mounting? Not a drop in replacement tho. These things are 55 watt halogens if I recall correctly, an H3 lamp in a glass housing and they definately blaze...

White Night Rear Lighting System, Truck SUV Reverse Lights

Oh and here is the product page that has the reflector / lamp only listed...

All Products - White Night Rear Lighting Truck and SUV Reverse Lights

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when i tried the T10 3W 12V 304-Lumen 38x3020 SMD LED Car White Light Bulb not from there but same thing, as i mentioned there was much less light which I actually measured with a light meter. thing is if you don't have a light meter the led's look a brighter white but actually put out less light (ones i tested). simply taking a picture will be hard to tell which is brighter assuming just change one of the stock lights. here's a suggestion don't take a picture of the lights but take a picture of a wall behind the car. i closed my garage door with the car being about 3' from the door it was plain as day the leds were lighting up much less on the garage door (which my light meter confirmed). i'd love to find a brighter light but ones i got were not

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Still waiting to get these in the mail, apparently they are being shipped from hong kong and its next to impossible to get any shipping info. I hope im not gonna get ripped off or ill be very much the opposite of happy.:angry:

·
Registered
886 Posts
About appearing brighter vs projected lumens, the reflectors are designed for the particular bulb, which is a point source of light at a specific spot inside the reflector. The LED's are putting out light over a much larger area so may actually be brighter inside the housing, but are projecting less usable light. Definitely projecting the light over a much wider area which will also give a lower reading on the meter.

I've seen a couple manufacturers making lights w/ 1 and even 3 watt led's, vs so many 1/4 watt, or whatever these are. 5 watt led's have been on the market for years, too, so maybe even more powerful emitters by now (tho I haven't seen car lights pre-made with them). You still need to use multiple emitters, but higher power emitters might mimic the point source of light a bit better.
I think dealextreme had them... could have been ebay. I was shopping around for LED's for my entire car when I was noticing all the different types.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.