Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Break failure

Tags
breack
3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeffd 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i own a honda crz 2011 , and the other week I experienced a break failure , although i got my break system checked and everything came good , basically what happened is on uneven terain the break pedal went soft and all the way down and the care started trembling and i had no breack power

#2 ·
Do you mean your brakes? If so when was the last time your brake fluid was flushed and refilled?
Brake fluid over time absorbs water and under some circumstances can boil and give symptoms similar to what you described. Once it cools off it will appear to be fine.

if you had brakes checked did they mention anything? Did they use a test strip in the fluid? Is the brake fluid low , discolored or smell burnt?

my suggestion is have fluid flushed and replaced. This will also ensure no air in system which can also cause issues you described. But if checked by a competent mechanic then that is unlikely.

#4 ·
Being at max does not indicate it has no water, or no air in the system, and it is not contaminated. Someone could have just added fluid to it. If they added a different DOT rated fluid and it is not compatible with existing fluid that can also cause issue you indicated. Has it ever been flushed and refilled since you have owned the car? If not have it done ASAP.

If ABS module failure( it is not "good"), was there a light on the dash or did they mention a code? If the module failed did they suggest replacing it? Brakes are very important and if you have any problem with Brakes it puts life at risk, Not just you but everyone on the road with you.

And it is Brakes Not Breaks or Breacks.

If this happened to my car, it would be either at an ASE(Automotive Service Excellence( https://www.ase.com/Home.aspx)) certified(in brakes) mechanic or a dealer and would not be driven till the issue was fully diagnosed and certified fixed. I am not sure if there is ASE in the UK but I presume something similar exists.

But as all have seen me type many times your car, your choice , your money & most of all your life!

#5 ·
They said they did alot of tests on the hidraulic system and the breaks itself and didnt found nothing but based on what i describe to them they told me that there might be a problem with the abs modul pump and i should take it down and sent it to bee checked and replaced if needed , also i just tested the car again on an empty road and the same thing hapened again wen i pres the breaks real hard , the fluid hasn’t been replaced since i own the car , i remember i had a batery problem as the alarm was going on by itself and was draining the battery and wen i wated to start the car it was showing me an abs sign , i thought it was because of empty batery so i disconected that cable from the hood , after that i didnt had any batery problems but im just thinking if it was something to do with the abs system aswell , so i will stop driving it and get it cheked again

#6 ·
Battery failure will turn on erroneous error lights. Go to a different shop tell them it has happened 2 times. Do not mention anything else the first shop said or did. At minimum have brake system flushed and filled. Obviously the first shop is not skilled if they did a bunch of tests and system still fails.

#7 ·
uneven terain the break pedal went soft and all the way down and the care started trembling
This sounds like the proper operation of the ABS system, aside from the loss of braking power.

12v Battery failures cause various problems with the CRZ that don't fit the profile of a dead battery in more traditional cars you may be used to.

All that said, take your car to a brake shop and have the brake fluid replaced. Unless you did it within the last year, you need new brake fluid anyway.

#11 ·
Posa, if you are a genuine crz owner suffering BRAKE problems give me a PM and we can sort it together.
Where abouts are you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.