Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
BorgWarner does indeed make great turbochargers.

This caught my eye in the article:

"A race version of the CR-Z, the 1.5-liter 2011 HPD CR-Z Racer will demonstrate a fuel efficient way to add performance. BorgWarner's EFR turbocharger efficiently increases the engine's horsepower by 50% (not including hybrid assist)."

50%? That's quite a jump. I'm curious to see this turbocharger. I've never seen a turbo alone add 50%

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
BorgWarner's EFR turbocharger efficiently increases the engine's horsepower by 50% (not including hybrid assist)."

50%? That's quite a jump. I'm curious to see this turbocharger. I've never seen a turbo alone add 50%
Well remember that's only about 54 HP in this engine.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well remember that's only about 54 HP in this engine.
True. But power gain is usually based off percentages. They made it sound like the turbo 'only' is making 54hp. How? Because a turbo alone, without an I/C, new fuel system, built bottom end, wastegate (unless integrated) and no tune, thus low boost are NOT going to make 50% of the engines power. No freaking way.

I guess what I'm saying is 'what else' have they done?

·
Registered
618 Posts
If they've raised the redline, the extra rpm might bias the reported hp as well.

Also a 50% increase is not the same as 50% of the total. If I have 100 and increase it 50%, I wind up with 150.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If they've raised the redline, the extra rpm might bias the reported hp as well.

Also a 50% increase is not the same as 50% of the total. If I have 100 and increase it 50%, I wind up with 150.
It sure is 50% of the total HP. 50 is 50% of 100. so 100+50%=150.

And how are they raising the redline? If it's by tuning, the turbo isn't making 50% by itself. The tuning is a major player in that power boost.

:shrug:

·
Registered
618 Posts
It sure is 50% of the total HP. 50 is 50% of 100. so 100+50%=150.
50% of the total (150) would be 75.

For a 50% increase, the turbo is making one third of the total. For my example: 100 is from the engine, 50 from the turbo.

And how are they raising the redline? If it's by tuning, the turbo isn't making 50% by itself. The tuning is a major player in that power boost.
I agree with you, it's not the turbo alone. It's a complete system: turbo (air), injectors (fuel), and a tuned ECU to manage it. The 50% gain is due to the collective sum of their mods.

I strongly suspect they've given it a bit more top end and bumped up the redline. As you know, hp is proportional to rpm whereas torque isn't.

Was this also the car where they wired up the IMA as a push to pass system? Really wish I could see it in action.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
50% of the total (150) would be 75.

For a 50% increase, the turbo is making one third of the total. For my example: 100 is from the engine, 50 from the turbo.

I agree with you, it's not the turbo alone. It's a complete system: turbo (air), injectors (fuel), and a tuned ECU to manage it. The 50% gain is due to the collective sum of their mods.

I strongly suspect they've given it a bit more top end and bumped up the redline. As you know, hp is proportional to rpm whereas torque isn't.

Was this also the car where they wired up the IMA as a push to pass system? Really wish I could see it in action.
You're right. I had '150' in my head, for some reason. My apologies.

I'm glad someone is following my train of thought on 'not the turbo alone'.
What's this 'IMA push to pass' business? Link?

·
Registered
618 Posts
What's this 'IMA push to pass' business? Link?
Sure thing: linky.

The intriguing thing is that since Honda did this thru their Performance Development group, maybe there some chance that this will be made available? How often does things from that group trickle down into racing or performance where the general population can buy the go fast bits?

·
Registered
886 Posts
After driving in econ for a while, we basically do have a push to pass button.. It says "Sport" on it :)
(and as someone else said a couple of months ago.. Man, I wish those buttons were on the steering wheel. I think it would be more useful than the stereo buttons!)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sure thing: linky.

The intriguing thing is that since Honda did this thru their Performance Development group, maybe there some chance that this will be made available? How often does things from that group trickle down into racing or performance where the general population can buy the go fast bits?
Ok, doesn't sound much different than 'Sport' mode. Except, and that's a big "except", it actually adds horsepower. Unlike the Sport button, which only opens the TB a bit more and lessens the steering assist.

Sounds intriguing.

After driving in econ for a while, we basically do have a push to pass button.. It says "Sport" on it :)
(and as someone else said a couple of months ago.. Man, I wish those buttons were on the steering wheel. I think it would be more useful than the stereo buttons!)
I like the buttons where they are. I LOVE not having to remove my hands from the wheel for the stereo. Nor for the mode buttons; they're less than a finger length from the wheel.

And HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! I saw this in the video on the AutoGuide link that JnC posted. If I ever have to repaint my car, it's getting the flat black treatment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.