Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would this work? Would you just continuously hit high boost w/o any breaks because it doesnt shift?

also had another similar question about the cvt...would you get a better quartermile using the paddle shifters to kind of have a upshift effect or would you be best just leaving it be?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've been curious about the transmission in the CR-Z as well. From reading around I'm assuming we have the CVT-7 transmission, or at least an evolutionary version. This was the transmission offered in the non-US Jazz 1.3L and 1.5L 1st generation models. Since our engine is closer to the 1st generation Fit/Jazz it's probable Honda kept use of the same shift capable CVT.

Reading up on threads by Jazz owners people have safely run the 1.5L Jazz CVT with anywhere from 150-180 hp. Seems a big range. The general consensus still follows the standard performance logic, if you want serious gain then get a manual.

Taken from a turbo Jazz thread:
Hi guys... i finish my turbo conversion

using S13 Turbocharger (from TOPFUEL and HKS)
it run at 8psi with max of 11psi
max power dyno (wheels) 137.5kw @8psi
Max Torque 203NM @ 3200 RPM
That's about 184 hp / 150 lb. tq.

Here's one CVT Jazz:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-forced-induction-forum/10769-anyone-turbocharge-your-l15a-cvt.html

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
the issue with the CVT isn't so much being able to handle the power... or i wouldn't think that would be the issue... i think the issue would be tuning the CVT... in essence it's like an automatic transmission in the sense the "gear" shifts at a certain rpm... when you add power like we're talking about in this thread, you more than likely will alter were the peak power is being made and that would affect the efficiency of the CVT transmission... you would then have to match that peak power and tune the transmission to stop at the peak power so the CVT stays there and is running at it's most efficient rpm...

in other words... boost a 6MT and not a CVT :pP:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
... you would then have to match that peak power and tune the transmission to stop at the peak power so the CVT stays there and is running at it's most efficient rpm...

in other words... boost a 6MT and not a CVT :pP:
The CVT by design is already running at what is supposed to be the most efficient use of power for any desired engine speed. With the manual mode you can opt to run the engine even higher than needed as limited by closing in on the low redline.

·
Banned
251 Posts
tuning ALL of the computers will be the key, i think hondamatics are always good for a lil boost and ive boosted a lot more HMC auto's than i would like to admit lol.

keep in mind i have a CVT and i am writing a sponsorship proposal as we speak and am seeking like minded companies for sponsorships and partnerships.

300wheel at "high" boost would be the least i would elect to shoot for.

not sure when of even IF its that possible but "Victory is nothing without adversity" so i would like to try it.

also, if anyone on here is down to datashare and go up parts stuff from bisi and friends on this endeavor (could be a year to three years from now depending on everything before i am done with mine and marketing a kit under the F& B-tec name) i am open to all peopleas i just ask you be legit, devoted, and up for some fun fabwork.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
CVT's are tuned to run at the peak of the engine power, whatever rpm that is... different cars it's a different peak-power rpm... so if the CR-Z is turbo'd and tuned the peak power would change thus requiring the CVT to change also... does that make sense?
Not quite....

CVT would change in what RPM it chooses to run at any given speed you mean? - As in if you have a tuned turbo CR-Z you'd have to change how the cars computer determined how to use the CVT as any given moment (Not in the know about this stuff if you couldn't already tell lol)

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
lol, me either... yes that is the point i was making... Honda tuned the CR-Z to run at a certain rpm at WOT b/c that's where the car is making it's maximum amount of HP... but if that rpm of peak HP changes the CVT will have to be changed to that new peak HP rpm...

this is ALL assumptions based on my understanding of CVT & automatic transmissions... i could be wayyyyy off on this...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Haha well I'd like to see someone be the lab rat.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as a turbo or SC. Hoping for someone simple from Hondata that provides a bit more power without a ton on money sunk into mods that might damage the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kinda mods might Hondata come out with that would provide power? Yea i hope the cvt could take a turbo...makes me sad if it cant (not that i would turbo it while under warrenty anyway). Also i asked about the paddle shifters? Do you think youd get a better 1/4 mile time using them or just flooring it and letting the auto do its own business?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
CVT is faster if you just floor it and not use the paddles... paddles are good for going around twisties :spinning:

as far as Hondata, they're not the only company that we can go to for tuning... with that said, they are a tuning company... they don't make/sell parts...

they tuned auto cars b4, i don't see why they can't tune a CVT CR-Z??

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
How would this work? Would you just continuously hit high boost w/o any breaks because it doesnt shift?

also had another similar question about the cvt...would you get a better quartermile using the paddle shifters to kind of have a upshift effect or would you be best just leaving it be?

Thanks
The CVT is in fact a bit slower in the 1320'. But if you just leave it in sport and don't mess w/ the damn paddles, you'll get a faster ET and top speed. Dropping the revs out of the powerband just to crawl back in to it is slower for the CVT.

And why wouldn't the CVT be able to be turbocharged? The 6 speed may handle more boost better, but you can still turbo the Auto. Just have to be a bit more conservative.

But honestly, peak power doesn't mean shit on a track (a real track, not a 1/4 mile). It's all about the area under the curve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.