Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to have a small repair to my bumper and there is this grit stuck to my car from the collision shop. What can I do about this?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Can't do anything except have them redo it. Depending on how deep into the clear coat it is you could use a 2000grid paper and sand it down then compound it and polish but that depends. You'll more tha. Likely have to have them redo it. Post a pic in any case let's see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add that it's all over the whole car, not just the bumper. Over spray perhaps, or just dust from the shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had horrible rail dust on my CRZ when I got it... Didn't notice it for over a week. Couldn't really see it except really close up... And that's on a PWP. But once I noticed it, I also noticed the horribly gritty feel, and that it was all over the car! I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. While waiting, I checked a black CRZ on the showroom floor and it had the same gritty rail dust all over it, except on the black you couldn't see it, even up close. But you could feel the grit from the rail dust.

I just thought that it sounded similar to what you're describing... Is there any "grit" on the hood? What I had was everywhere except the hood (where the transport plastic covered).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I would have them pay the bill for another shop to redo their work if I couldn't trust them to do it properly. But then consumer laws in Norway are just about the only thing that works well in the system :p

·
Registered
807 Posts
Whoa, hold up!!!

Before you do anything drastic like sandpaper, grt some detailing clay! It was designed specifically for this purpose, to remove overspray.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Don't do ANYTHING yourself
Take it back to the body shop and make them fix it
It really is a very simple question with only one right answer
IMHO

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
take it for a detail. Make sure they clay bar the whole car and seal the paint afterwards.

you could wetsand and polish the whole car too. that would even get rid of the orange peel all new hondas have from their crappy water based paint.

make sure this is all done professionally

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds like overspray to me. Clay bar will get it off but I wouldn't let the body shop do it, I'd have them pay to have a detail shop do it. I worked in and managed several detail shops that did overspray removal, we usually charged by the hour because that ****e gets EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all. i took it in. they said it's overspray and they'll clean the whole car off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I clayed mine when I got it home - paint was already smooth, no rail dust and no contaminants in the clay.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
in my case, all they had to do was spray the car in an area this wouldn't have been a problem. it looks like they pack multiple cars into a tiny bay, and even work on some half sticking out. it's no wonder there was overspray. they probably sprayed some car next to mine, in the wind.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so they clayed my car and took care of it. sucks that i just waxed it a couple weeks ago. the clay seems to have worked, but i'm gonna redo it this weekend in order to be thorough now that i know it worked, and i'll wax again :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you're right derek. i was reading your detailing thread today too. gonna try to get it all done on saturday. i found a couple rough spots they missed. it's 95% better than it was, but to tell you guys that that's not acceptable would be preaching to the quire lol!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.