Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

"blue-tooth-streaming"

18K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  rayray 
#1 ·
sorry if this has been asked before. but i was wondering if it was possible to play music via OEM bluetooth ?? :confused::confused::confused:

#7 ·
Bluetooth for voice (the BT Mono) is very low bitrate... it's going to sound like listening to music via your telephone (if you were born in the 70s and 80s you'll remember that you used to be able to call a 1-900 number and listen to music on demand).

The native factory head unit does not support the A2DP protocol which is higher bitrate and intended for stereo music. The irony is that even head units used in some really high end cars doesn't support A2DP... which is odd.

There are a few Stereo bluetooth gateways for sale - here's my writeup on what I added to my car. I ended up wiring it up behind my dash with its own dedicated power source so the clutter wasn't so bad in my passenger compartment.

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/61440-post5.html

The hassle is you still have to manually tell your phone to connect with this dongle since the dongle doesn't announce on its own that it is turned on and ready for data. This will not interfere with the default factory phone-call service since they are actually two different bluetooth connections. The default honda bluetooth should auto-connect when you enter the vehicle and turn on the ignition.

#13 ·
I had been wondering the same thing. My 2013 Challenger has to be set to stream but calls will cut in. My 2010 Tacoma streams and everything automatically but maybe it's because I was a dummy and bought the $350 toyota retrofit system with a dash button :/ I didn't know any better and i knew I wanted it after installing a BT head unit in my old truck.

#15 ·
a high-quality audio receiver dongle works great for those with no bluetooth audio. in my car the car still switches to hands free link when calls come in and reverts back to whatever streaming service i got going on through my phone through the bluetooth receiver. in other words my phone is temp muting the streaming audio and throws the call directly to hands free link.

downside is no control of the media through the car's steering wheel buttons or radio buttons. i use a Sony bluetooth receiver (for calls) so it has volume and also skip track functions, but not great for browsing stations or artist/songs on the phone. thank goodness google assistant is smarter than ever and i can just say "play whatever track by so and so" or by playlist and voila we got music. same for nav controls (i have no nav).

and even still most bluetooth audio is NOT THAT GREAT unless you get a high quality unit. so i still prefer a direct 3.5mm aux cable since i have to plug something in that hole either way lol. might as well get the best quality with a direct connection. i just mount the phone and use voice commands to get what i need done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.