Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

As you know, Black Label Fab has partnered with TurboKits.com to develop a SRI, CAI & CAT Back Exhaust for the CR-Z. We are proud to announce that the SRI, CAI & CAT Back have passed R&D and we expect them to be ready for shipping in roughly 30 days. Also in the news: TurboKits.com has been awarded the exclusive rights to the Black Label Fab brand. What does this mean for you? Unmatched quality customer service paired with the finest engineers in the business! Black Label Fab is a group of designers and fabricators that believe in quality parts at an affordable price. Only the best materials are selected; 304SS, T6061 Alum, Silicone Couplers, High Flow Filters, etc. Using short cuts that jeopardize quality to cut cost is not an option. The parts are fully mandrel bent and polished to perfection. Oh and did we mention the sound? Even if you aren't looking for more HP, the “music to your ears” emitted by the CAI and/or CAT Back is reason enough to put it on your ride! Thanks for your interest and we welcome any questions...

Short Ram Intake (SRI) - $249.00
Cold Air Intake (CAI) - $329.00
CAT Back Exhaust - $599.00
SRI & CAT Back Package - $799.00 (Save $50)
CAI & CAT Back Package - $849.00 (Save $75)

We are taking Orders now. Call 860-676-2929, E-mail ([email protected]) or PM - http://www.turbokits.com/Honda/CR-Z/

Cold Air Intake (CAI):

CAT Back Exhaust:

CAI DYNO:

CAT Back DYNO:

CAI Video:
Black Label Fab CR-Z Cold Air Intake on DYNO - YouTube

CAT Back Exhaust Video:
YouTube - Black Label Fab CR-Z CAT Back Exhaust on DYNO

We are adding these products to the TurboKits.com website shortly, for now, please call, PM or e-mail to order :)

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shortly, the R & D car going back for some final DYNOs. These numbers were pulled with less than 600 miles on the motor. So they are redoing the DYNOs and are certain the numbers will have increased as the motor has broken in. We'll have in a week or so.

Thanks

Do you have dyno for SRI?

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The SRI will use a no name brand. No name doesn't mean no flow, it flows awesome and is oiled and cleaned just like the K&N.

The CAI will use a K&N filter as the tight fit going into the front bumper area requires a different filter design.

Both of them flow 3 times more than the CR-Z will ever make with bolt ons. So there should be no worries of restriction.

Thanks again for all of the interest and thanks to Frederic for stepping up and being the first to put on on pre-order :)

Who makes that filter???
im pretty sure i read during development they changed the filter so that a generic one can be used if you need a replacement (+1 for ease of maintainance)... ill let them chime in though
Pls don't quote me on this but I believe it will come with a K&N filter.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
2.75" Diameter. We have a slick billet machined MAF housing so it maintains the outside diameter of the pipe and looks nice and chunky, but give the MAF sensor the proper sample tube so there aren't any CEL issues.

What's the diameter on the CAI pipe? I live in Florida and there tend to be puddles that are actually small ponds that I end up driving through, so if I got the CAI, I think I'd want to pick up a bypass valve. Unless you guys would suggest that SRI for the 6 speed.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The CAIs should be within 30 days, the CAT Backs 30 - 45 :)

when will these ship if preordered? / when will they be in stock?

Beast mode! Nice...

let me drop my .02 cents by saying the exhaust sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good, :) im so happy with the end result, video doesnt do it justice, buy this thing you wont regret it. and furthermore, the cars strictly on BEAST mode now lol. im having sport mode changed to BEAST mode :) lol

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
All of the DYNOs were done independently with just that part on the otherwise stock CRZ. One of the great benefits of having a DYNO in house. We don't have to play the numbers game! ;)

was the dyno test for the CAI done with the upgraded exhaust on or the stock exhaust? These numbers we see would be way different if we buy just the CAI, or the SRI. And same Question with the exhaust, dynoed with CAI, SRI or stock intake?

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Sure!

For the CAI do you have a picture of where the filters is located? Is it easy to clean once installed? I had a CAI on a previous car and it was a pain to get to the filter to take it off to clean it.
Thanks,
Scott

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hello andrewr,

Thanks for your interest. The other members have answered the "type of DYNO" question so I won't go over that again. The only thing that confuses me is you state there are 4 curves but only 2 legends? Each chart has 2 curves 1 stock and 1 with the installed part. Each curve has Horsepower & Torque which equals 4 lines for each chart. The lines corresponding numbers are listed below in the MAX column (4 different numbers). So all of the information is there. Also, these aren't just pretty graphs. These are "print screen to image" screen shots of the DYNO report right from the Mustang DYNE software (Mustang Dynamometer / Mustang Advanced Engineering - Advanced Dynamometer and Test Cell Solutions). Hopefully that helps clarify things for you! Thanks...

Am I the only one wondering why all the "Dyno Sheets" have "MUSTANG" written on them? And have 4 curves but only a legend for 2 of them? I don't mean to be calling anybody out nessesarily, but it does seem like a bit of a stretch to claim a even 10 HP gain, thats a big feat for a 112 HP motor... For having a dyno right there to use the sheets seem a little plain compared to other's I've seen for CAIs and SRIs on my other vehicles, no numbers for the second set of curves ...
OK so I guess I am calling you out but only because it seems like every CAI manufacturer out there is tip-toeing the BS line hoping people will buy their product and it makes me a very, very cautious buyer who critiques the validity of the information they provide. It doesn't mean much to me if you make a different CAI that makes 10 HP for a mustang, I'm driving a CRZ, and while people do like pretty graphs with pictures I prefer charts of before & after numbers, with decimal place accuracy.
Call me picky but I don't spend hundreds of dollars just to make my car make more noise going the same speed :p I certainly mean no disrespect either clearly you guys have worked very hard on these products and I will be thrilled for some reassurance or clarification on the posted gains. :)

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hey ontada2,

OEM Dia = 1.675" crush bent and the BLF system uses 2" mandrel and was designed as straight as possible and with the least restriction. The BLF system doesn't even run a muffler, just 2 resonators and the sound it freaking sweet. So its 2" and basically straight through :)

No plans to change the tip, but a stealthy look could easily be accomplished with a hack saw and universal tip from Napa.

Shipping to HA would be aprox $150

Unfortunately the sum of the parts is almost always less than the individual gains. You should be more in the realm of 15 HP with both. The Torque numbers are interesting as the CRZ makes peak torque with the electric motor. So you have to look further up in the RPMs to see the torque gains. I would expect those to be in the 10 - 12 range.

Thanks

Whats the diameter of the cat-back?

Any plans to do an OEM style, down facing, hidden tail pipe?

What kind of $ am I looking at to ship to Hawaii, 96826?

Any idea of the gains by having both CAI and Cat-Back on?

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Keep in mind the BLF exhaust is full 304SS (this is the best type) and full mandrel bent. If you take into account the additional material cost for the 304SS and the flow of the mandrel bends. It looks better and better the more you look into it :)

I'm going to have to pick and choose which accessories to buy. I put a cat-back on my Vibe when I firs got it - it added 5 ft-lb which made a huge difference crossing the mountain, and made a noticeable improvement in fuel economy. The one in this thread is about the same price as what I paid for the TRD one I bought for the Vibe, even though its now 8 years later. So maybe its not as pricey as it would seem at first.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
No reason in particular, just hard for the motor to put that much load on it at low RPMs run after run after run.

Any reason why the dyno starts at 2,000 rpm? My car spends most of its time at ~ 1,500 rpm for most of the driving I do. Are there negative effects at the lower RPMs?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.