Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts
Great thread, gang. Being a new CR-Z owner, I was wondering what kind of rack would work and wouldn't ya know it, it would appear to be the very rack I HAD, but - like an idiot - SOLD about a year ago, my Saris Bones 2. Will have to get another one, I guess. I sold it when my wife and I bought some recumbent bikes which we also just recently sold. Talk about getting LOOKS going down the road! You should have seen when we strapped the two recumbents onto the back of the old PT Loser!

Okay, so I know this thread is years old, but I wanted to add an update for others, like me, who might be new to the CR-Z club and looking for the right rack. I'd made up my mind to try to find another Saris Bones 2 like I had before, when I stumbled across this Yakima SuperJoe 2 on Craig's list for $75. Works GREAT. And, of course, the most important thing is, the color closely matches the car.:thumbsup:

How secure do the mounts feel? I need to load a big mountain bike to the rack and I'm worried these wont do the job.
You werent asking me but, I drive to and from FL/WA with a Seasucker Mini Bomber on my 09 Civic coupe. I've never had any trouble with it. I was very nervous my bike (Cannondale SL1 29) would fly off and cause a crash but that's never happened and I've drivin through some serious storms. Once it's mounted, it's mounted.

How secure do the mounts feel? I need to load a big mountain bike to the rack and I'm worried these wont do the job.
Its very solid as BlurpleFG1 said, I was nervous first couple of times but now I know and its super fast to get on and off. On freeways out to tri's and never had a problem, even on one trip where wind speeds was in the 30mph and it was fine.

Reviving an old thread to mention that I actually got the Sea Sucker Hornet and it worked great bringing my new bike home from the shop. That said, it's been too cold to ride since (except for the one weekend I couldn't ride), but I hope to get some pics this weekend.

riiiiiight

Ooook
I think I've seen enough of potential damage for a life time.
I've been working in sporting goods for almost 15 years, and in an actual bike shop for about 5 years. Let me break this down for everyone.

The strap on bike racks will damage your paint and potentially damage the body of the car due to the bike moving back-and-forth from the wind. If you go this cheap route, I hope you have a ton of money for the body shop.

The roof rack is by far thee most versatile system to go with. Bikes, kayaks, cargo carriers, heck I've hauled lumber. On this particular car however, the large rear hatch and the small roof combination cause SOME issues. Many bike mounts extend too far back and interfere with the hatch opening. If you can deal with the price and the hatch limitation, the roof rack is the best way to go.

The easiest way to go is have a hitch installed and get a hitch rack. The best rack I have used is from 1UpUSA. It is all aluminum and stainless steel, plus it can take ANY type of bike. I myself am going to be purchasing the new Thule T2 Pro rack which is able to take any type of bike including my fatbike AND has built in locks. The bike is locked to the rack. The rack is locked to the car. Problem solved.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I've been doing this for years.

Not really sure why their is so much discussion on this topic. Install a hitch and buy a tray-style carrier like the Yakima Hold-Up or the Saris Freedom Superclamp. Doesn't matter what type of bike you own, it will work.

Not really sure why their is so much discussion on this topic. Install a hitch and buy a tray-style carrier like the Yakima Hold-Up or the Saris Freedom Superclamp. Doesn't matter what type of bike you own, it will work.
Rear visibility is bad enough on this car. With a bike rack it would be even worse. The roof of our car has a 100lb limit. This is why there is so much discussion.:nerd:

Also the potential for damage as you mentioned.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.