Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts
You shouldnt have any problems. Worst case, they make extensions for the receiver to put the rack further away from the vehicle.

On my setup, with a bike on the inside, the hatch cant open b/c it hits the handle bar. Nothing I care about though.

Pulled out of a steep driveway, the curt hitch hit the curb!! I heard a loud pop and already knew what it was. So far no damage except for a scratch that's underneath.

OK, thanks to those on this thread, I purchased a Yakima Superjoe 2. Hopefully I installed it correctly! Didn't use the glass adapters though because they won't fit but since the top of the hatch is metal I'm thinking it will be ok. Anybody get the glass adapters to fit or are the standard hooks ok?

Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Rack: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

Really cheaping out on this but has anyone tried this piece? looks similar to the Yakima Superjoe but at less than half the price. I'll only be carrying one Giant Revel 29er so I'm not too worried about bikes banging against each other or any of that nonsense.
Probably too late for you, but for reference to others:
I have this rack from my last car and it does not play well with the Z. With the rack tightened down it smashes right into the H logo. If you sit it at any other angle, the rack sticks straight up or crushes the spoiler. I think you can "maybe" get away with it without a spoiler installed, but I'd skip it.

whats the part no. for this

If you build the kit on thule.com, you can get what you need for the base rack.

The bad part of that setup is the trays, they are fork mount road trays. For myself, I can luckily put the trays centered on the base rack which will increase your hatch clearance greatly. I've had my hitch mount for 2 years now and its time to retire it. I'm heavily considering going roof rack, but its a big money commitment when you buy the parts new.

sorry for the random image, but here you can see how short you can get the distance from the rear base rack to the end of the tray:

Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Rack: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

Really cheaping out on this but has anyone tried this piece? looks similar to the Yakima Superjoe but at less than half the price. I'll only be carrying one Giant Revel 29er so I'm not too worried about bikes banging against each other or any of that nonsense.
I have the single bike version and yes the bottom piece tests right on the Honda logo. When I use it I end up placing a thinner softer piece of rubber between it and the car to prevent possible damage to the logo.

I'm still in the process of purchasing a CR-Z and this is by far the most off putting thing about the car! Every weekend I'll have 1-2 bike being carried in my car. I doubt I'll manage to fit two bikes in the CR-Z.
I have a Yakima rack that I've held 3 bikes on while still being able to open the hatch, so you shouldn't have to worry about hauling them inside the car, racks can be pretty cheap if you get it from Craigslist or something

So I happen to have a Thule roof rack laying around, so using some guidance from the thule kit 1624, i made this work.

I dont think the fit is ideal, but its pretty solid after all said and done. With the trays on top, you can open the hatch up almost all the way. Again, the only way this really becomes the hot setup is with being able to move the tray for and aft on the base rack. Enjoy,

Also went for the Thule myself, all ready for the biking season. Have taken a few trips around with it now and it seems pretty sturdy :) Just got to get her all muddy now!

Although it was quite difficult trying to fit a ladies bike to the back due to the frame! Took a good few attempts!

Before I figured out a good way to fit her bike on!

101 - 120 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.