Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Bike racks?

125K views 149 replies 77 participants last post by  bigjc6 
#1 ·
Anybody know what kind of bike racks will work with this car? Looking at the rear hatch, I don't know if it can hold the typical hatchback rack that straps on, and I really don't want a roof rack.

I was thinking about a hitch rack, but wonder if I will get flack from a dealer, as the manual states towing is not suggested and will void the warranty (another funny thing is the maximum weight capacity is only 400 lbs! That is just barely enough for suitcases and two people!).

#6 ·
:yeahthat: :lol:

Slap a Yakima rack on it. I think this car would look sweet with a nice roof mount bike rack. And it's low enough that you don't have to worry about hitting anything with the bikes.

Edit: Yakima only has hitch mounts for the Z. Not my style, but it'll work. If I where a biker, I'd wait 'till a roof system was released. Is there a factory Honda bike rack?

#4 ·
I think the roof rack you can get as an option can carry bikes. I just got the thing for snowboards myself. That can take 2 boards or 4 pairs of skis. You can't open the rear hatch when you have something loaded on the roof though, hehe. But that is kinda obvious when you see the thing.

Edit: Just checked, and it doesn't look like the Honda roof rack can carry bikes.
http://honda.synkron.com/graphics/S...sjyre/3_Tilbeh%F8r/CR-Z_Accessories_(eng).pdf

#7 ·
Honda's accessory website recommends only 1 cycle on the roof rack, to prevent roof distorting.:unsure:

I have a saris bones cycle rack that fitted onto my '06 Civic and I'm hoping will fit onto the CR-Z. Only problem is the metal fixing scratching the paint, easy to prevent with a covering of masking tape.:cool:

Does anyone have any experience of carrying bikes on the CR-Z?

#8 ·
Warning: Roof Bar with bike racks.

Offically the honda accessories, roof bars and bike racks have been withdrawn due to the possibility of, when the tailgate is opened, smashing the glass.:eek:

A notice has been sent out to all dealers that, in such instances, repairs cannot be made under warranty.:bricks:

#10 ·
Supposedly the chief engineer on the CR-Z project was big on golf, which may explain the different ways you can arrange the cargo cover. He did make it a point to have a hatch wide enough for golf clubs. But apparently he wasn't that big on bikes.

#12 ·
To be fair, the weight capacity of most cars is quite low when you think about how much a reasonable load of people and luggage would weigh. It's normally no big deal to exceed it, stopping distance and cornering are the only real casualties and I suspect having a conservative maximum carrying weight is how Honda say "don't blame us if you fill the car to the gills and overshoot a stop sign" in legalese.

#15 ·
I just got an E-mail from Yakima that they have now fit the CRZ:

Great news, Yakima Products now has a fit for your vehicle! That means that all your toys that have been longing to be back out in the fresh air since you got that new vehicle will soon be back on the trail, slopes or open road.

Here is your fit information:

Vehicle: HONDA CR-Z
Year Range: 2011-2011 Fit Type: Top
Factory Rack: Naked Roof Weight Limit: 125
Tower/Attachment: Q Towers Required Accessory:
Crossbar Length: 48" CrossBars Recommended Fairing: 38" Fairing
Front Clips/Landing Pads: Q5 Rear Clips/Landing Pads: Q83

Notes

82. Any load extending over the windshield (except luggage boxes) must be secured to both the front and rear of the vehicle, in addition to the rack.
84. SideWinder (Tandem Bike Mount) will not work due to crossbar spread limitations.
101. StrapThang limited to 2 surf/sailboards. Board length limited to 8' or less on this application. Boards must be stacked - DO NOT carry side-by-side.
105. Surf/Sail/Paddleoard length limited to 10' or less when using Wavehog on this application.
140. Load/Mount will prevent rear hatch from opening fully. Use caution to prevent damage.
161. Maximum allowable weight load is 125 lbs.
187. Boa bike mount will not work due to crossbar spread limitations.

If you would like to choose your system with all your bells and whistles you can click here to be taken to our Rack Configurator. If you all you need is the base rack and you're ready to buy you can click here to find a dealer in your area as well as some online dealers. Thanks for your patience, now get out there and play!

#17 ·
I just got that email from Yakima and installed a roof rack and highroller bike mount. The rear hatch can only open a small amount, but it's enough to get stuff out. You can flip the rack around, but I wasn't comfortable with how far it then extended over the windshield. It's super easy to use this set up. With the roof being so low I can rack a bike and be ready to travel in about 2 minutes. Major design flaw though is that you can lock your bike to this rack, or the rack to the bars, but not both at the same time. Any thief can walk off with your bike and rack by unscrewing 3 hand bolts with no tools required.

#18 ·
Got an update from Yakima. They make a lock housing that you can use instead of the hand knobs to lock the rack to the bars. Of course it's another $17 for the part plus another $35 for lock cores since you can't buy a single core. So between the towers, pads and clips, bars, fairing, lock cores, Highroller bike mount and Bay Area CA sales tax it has cost roughly $650. It will be another $190 to put on a second Highroller. I do love the set-up and it looks great too, but very pricey to haul around a bike.

#20 ·
Curt hitches makes a simple 1 1/4" receiver-style hitch for the CRZ. The number is C11077 and is $120 at one of the on-line hitch dealers. This way, there a fewer chances of scratching up the Z.

#23 ·
No, you don't have to drill any holes since you use the existing holes in the "frame" and the center loop in the center below the rear diffuser. From the mounting instructions, it is not designed to tow, but is perfect for a bike rack in the receiver. I will PM you with the instructions.

#27 ·
I am picking up my car tomorrow and I am trying to figure out How I am gonna carry my Fuji Roubaix road bike. Has anyone just taken the car down to a U-haul place and had them put a receiver on it. I currently have a trunk carrier and don't really wanna use that on this car

#28 ·
Ugh, all this hassle to find a rack for when I get my bike. I think im just gonna see if the guys at the place I go to will just let me "dry fit" the bike in the back to see if it fits. Im totally ok with just wrapping it in an old blanket for transport int he back as opposed to hassling with the rack. The only thing I almost ever have in the back area is my first aid kit anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.