Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a bike rack on their CR-Z? I just bought a mountain bike and while it fits in the trunk if I take BOTH wheels off, that is a huge hassle since I want to bring it around quite often. I'm thinking about buying a bike rack like this one

Amazon.com: Allen Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

but I'm not sure if it is going to fit right due to the shape of the trunk, most of the pressure will be on that bottom support which I'd imagine would end up sitting right under the back tinted window on the paint. Thoughts/Experiences?

·
Registered
609 Posts
use the search tool for bike racks and also the combined word bikerack. I did that when I first got my z. There is a hitch mount and some discussion about whether it voided the warranty. Not sure if this is the thread, but try this one:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/factory-specifications/1581-bike-racks.html

I found my Z takes a 56 cm road bike with the front wheel off and the passenger seat slightly forward with no problems, but I do plan to use a rack from time to time. We have several - looks like our Saris bones will work well if we take two bikes and then we can run a long rubberized cable through the rear tow hook under the car and through the bike frames to try to slow theft down. If you need to leave a bike in the car while at work so you can ride after work, then I would just go with the inconvenience of removing wheels. I have a friend in California who had the roof rack stolen off his Civic. He had NO bikes on it, and was parked at a large store with video cams in the parking lot. It was a crew of theives who pulled up next to his car, broke the locks on the rack that secured it to the roof, and damaged the car roof and pretty much made the bike rack worthless in the process. They'll probably sell it for $5 at a swap meet but caused $$$ damage.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Meant to add - we have a 370 Z in the family too - there is some discussion on the Z forum about something called a boof squire which lots of people claim is the only safe way to haul a bike with a 370, although I don't know if they make them in a custom fit for a CR-Z. I think the link for the company was boofsquire.com or something, but if you google it, you can prob. pull up the thread discussing it on the 370Z forum. Personally, I wouldn't haul a bike with the 370Z but the CR-Z has more hatch room and also the mpgs make it more attractive to use this car for more things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for your input TwoZs! I did a quick search before and didn't find that result so thanks! As far as theft goes I'm not very worried about that at all, I live and work in extremely quiet and safe areas where I never have to fret about things like that. I don't want to go with a roof rack but I'm going to keep perusing these suggestions for a trunk-mounting rack that works.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm not keen on the roof rack either. It kind of ruins the aerodynamics plus especially with a heavier and probably muddier mountain bike, I am not sure I would want that on the roof at all. We will probably put the hitch mount mentioned in one of the bike rack threads on our CRZ eventually but I'm not in a hurry and want to talk to the local Honda dealer who will be honoring the warranty first, or at least get an email confirmation from HondaUSA that it will not cause us problems down the line.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not keen on the roof rack either. It kind of ruins the aerodynamics plus especially with a heavier and probably muddier mountain bike, I am not sure I would want that on the roof at all. We will probably put the hitch mount mentioned in one of the bike rack threads on our CRZ eventually but I'm not in a hurry and want to talk to the local Honda dealer who will be honoring the warranty first, or at least get an email confirmation from HondaUSA that it will not cause us problems down the line.
I'm gonna have the hitch system install on the coming Sat. will take some pic. and post them up, already ordered the Thule 912XT bike rack together with the 987XT ski carrier, but waiting for the shipment to the store and pickup ... :thumbsup:

And yes, there's some other thread and i made my point not to have the roof rack as that will ruin the aerodynamic of the CRZ, with all the wind drag, that will decrease the fuel consumption for sure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have pics posted of what I use for bikes on the CRZ. It works extremely well. We actually took a trip this weekend, drove about 100 miles each way on the freeway with that rack with no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have pics posted of what I use for bikes on the CRZ. It works extremely well. We actually took a trip this weekend, drove about 100 miles each way on the freeway with that rack with no issues.
Hey thanks Zodiak, I checked those out, that fits very nicely. I am going to try being a cheapo to start and getting one from Walmart and if I can't adjust it to fit correctly I will consider buying that Bones 2-bike model online, since I now know you have made it work nicely.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Zodiak, I just checked out your pics on the other thread too. Our bones rack is slightly different (has 2 upper arms as well as the two lower arms, even though it's also a 2-bike saris bones), but should work just as well. We also have a Thule T2 2" 916 receiver hitch rack we use on our bigger vehicles. Wish it was the 917 model so it could be used with 1 1/4 inch receivers too, as that would give us another option.

The bones is a very versatile rack and we typically take it when we fly somewhere we'll be cycling as we have yet to find a rental vehicle it won't work on and it comes appart easily to fit in a suitcase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone put a bike rack on their CR-Z? I just bought a mountain bike and while it fits in the trunk if I take BOTH wheels off, that is a huge hassle since I want to bring it around quite often. I'm thinking about buying a bike rack like this one

Amazon.com: Allen Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

but I'm not sure if it is going to fit right due to the shape of the trunk, most of the pressure will be on that bottom support which I'd imagine would end up sitting right under the back tinted window on the paint. Thoughts/Experiences?
What did you end up going with? I’ve used the bike rack you had originally posted on my crz but it was unstable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts