Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My Z has the base-model halogen projectors. I fitted HIDs in them, and while they work OK, I'm not really satisfied. The output is comparable to cheap $30 projectors from Amazon (which is still better than most OEM headlights, somehow), albeit with a fuzzy, colorless cutoff and no bi-xenon functionality. Has anyone had any experience swapping in an aftermarket projector? I'd love to swap in a Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0, which is a 3" projector. If tthat one doesn't fit, I'd do a Morimoto Mini H1 7.0, which is a 2.5" projector, just like the stock one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has pics of the inside of the headlight, pls let me know, it'd help me a ton.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
73 Posts
I found these online. These are oem hid projectors but this is how the inside looks like. Hope it helps . There isn't many pics floating around out there of our projectors. I'm going to take lots of pics of the OEM projectors diff angles, mounting points and distance between them so it can help others. Waiting on my order from TRS

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the only thing I found. It's interesting to see that they did use 3" projectors. There aren't many pics, unfortunately.

Really looking forward to your pics. Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
73 Posts
Well I've been staring at my headlights like I'm expecting something magical to happen, neighbors walking past me thinking" wth is he looking for?" Lol the blue shroud over our projectors is pretty big so I'm sure a 3in projector would still work with some trimming of a different shroud or in this case they managed to keep the stock shroud. So I say it's a definite go for a 3in projector in there. What I didn't like of their build was the way they mounted the Halo ring, over the stock shroud which I think doesn't look right . I ordered Apollo 2 flat version and Apollo 3 shrouds. Going to see which one looks best

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
73 Posts
Aftermarket swap complete sir. I'm planning on doing a write up on what I did, what issues I faced, tools req and approximate time it took from start to finish if there's interest. Output shots have been taken with no special camera filter or equipment. I just used my OnePlus 6t with auto mode . Pics don't do the cut off line justice. It's much , much better in person. I'm running on stock bulbs , I did have a set of cbb's but I managed to break the base off one of them lol waiting on a replacement so I can install them .
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Bumper
Light Wall Architecture Night Concrete
Blue Light Lighting Darkness Night
Wall Soil Asphalt Concrete Tints and shades
Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Light

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z 2010
51 Posts
Nice, I am interested in a write up if you have one. How did you access the projector unit, could you do that from the back or did the front clear plastic cover need to come off too?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, I am interested in a write up if you have one. How did you access the projector unit, could you do that from the back or did the front clear plastic cover need to come off too?
I ended up doing a retrofit too. I was originally planning a write up, but since there seems to be no interest whatsoever I decided to focus on the install, rather than taking all the photos and carefully documenting everything. Here's the steps I took.

Disclaimer: Any modifications performed on your vehicle are done at your own risk. I take NO responsibility for any complications arising either directly or indirectly from any modifications, including but not limited to: damage to your own vehicle, damage to property, failed vehicle inspections, you losing your job, broken marriage, mutant alligators, or thermonuclear warfare. Check local laws and regulations before modifying your vehicle.

The first step is to (obviously) remove the headlights.

Remove any bulbs still in the headlight. Remove the 4 screws on the edge of the housing.

pre-heat your oven to 205 degrees F or about 90 C. Put the headlight in for about 20 minutes. be careful, since putting the headlight in a cold oven may cause damage. once the headlight is nice and warm, remove the front clear plastic by gently prying it off.

Next comes the hardest part. You need to remove the high beam reflector and low beam projector. These are attached to a metal bracket, which is itself attached using two screws and a ball-joint. If I remember correctly, you need to partially unscrew the 2 screws used for aiming the headlights (in my USDM car one of the screws was covered), then you need to push the ball joint out by pushing the metal bracket forwards out of the headlight housing. DO NOT PULL ON THE REFLECTOR OR PROJECTOR SHROUDS, or you may break them. This is, without a doubt, the hardest and most time-consuming task.

Once that is done, you can unscrew the projector and reflector from the metal bracket. now you need to install the new projector. the Morimoto 4TLR is designed to fit many japanese vehicles, including the CR-Z. I'm not sure how the OEM shroud would work, but I imagine it would fit no problem. I didn't like the 4TLR beam pattern so I went with the round Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0. I ordered the universal Retro-Quick kit from TRS which comes with these fiberglass mounting plates. I used the original projector as a template, then cut them to make my own adapter to mount the D2S projectors onto the original metal bracket. Despite being larger projectors, I was still able to use the OEM shrouds.

Finally, I wired-in the high-beam solenoid on the projectors, which is optional but very highly recommended. For this you need a relay. While you could wire them in directly to your high beams, the solenoid can produce extreme voltage spikes when turned off, which has killed many LED lights in my older Honda Civic. Using a relay prevents this spike from damaging any components which is especially important on the 'Z since the lights are controlled by a computer, and not a simple switch like on my Civic.

After this I re-assembled the lights.

A few mistakes I would correct would be to make sure the projectors are properly aimed before re-assembling everything. one of the projectors isn't perfectly centered, so the shroud doesn't fit properly and the lens isn't in the center. it is very hard to notice, but it still bugs me. More importantly, one of the projectors is very slightly rotated, so the beams don't line up perfectly. Make sure your projectors are straight and level before sealing your headlight again.

I'd post pictures but from the outside the car looks completely stock.

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z 2010
51 Posts
That is great, thank you for the outline of how to retrofit the projector units. When I get brave enough I might give it a go. I just want to keep the standard halogen units but fit better quality ones. Just need to find the right projector unit to fit that is sold in the UK.
What did you seal the lights up with again? Some info says to use a butyl sealant in tape or cartridge form.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is great, thank you for the outline of how to retrofit the projector units. When I get brave enough I might give it a go. I just want to keep the standard halogen units but fit better quality ones. Just need to find the right projector unit to fit that is sold in the UK.
What did you seal the lights up with again? Some info says to use a butyl sealant in tape or cartridge form.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
For the CR-Z I just Re-used what's already on the housing. As long as you make sure the clear plastic is properly seated back on the housing, you shouldn't need any extra sealant. However, if you want to be extra sure, do get the rubber butyl adhesive. It comes in this thick string. You just separate it by hand and stretch it out to make it thinner, then lay it inside the groove where the original sealant is. Since this seems to be your first time opening a headlight, it may be a good idea to get some of the stuff. Also, be patient and don't rush are some suggestions I can give you.

Before the retrofit, I was using 55w hid bulbs on the original halogen projectors, and they were about 70% as good as the retrofit (except for high beams, which aren't very good and is the main reason I did the retrofit)

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z 2010
51 Posts
Do you have any measurements of the original projector units? I have found some but have no idea if they will fit or bolt into the original headlight fitting points. As the car is my daily driver I can't take the headlights out to measure up parts.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here are any measurements you may need. Also remember that I was able to fit the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 with no problems with the stock shrouds, so you can use those as a reference too.

·
Registered
Honda CR-Z 2010
51 Posts
They have, but I can only seem to find the projector units for HID bulbs easily for sale here and I am ideally after a halogen unit with a 3" lense. I have used Hella units in the past but their online catalog is not very clear.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts