Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the great things about driving a hybrid is its ability to inspire a new approach to driving. Instead of a hot rod or even a "normal" manner of driving and encouraged by special hybrid instruments,, many drivers of hybrids have become "hyper-milers", adopting new driving skills that reward this style of driving with fantastic mpg, way beyond the sticker estimates.

Normally rated 20/26, my S2000 is now getting 25 ciy: 33 highway using hyper-miler techniqes. I expect 50 mpg + or better from my CR-Z.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I'd prefer not to have to change my driving style to get better mileage. I'm in no way a bad driver or a heavy footed driver so the CRZ should come kicking 45mpg outta the gate without my driving changes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The best tool for MPG's will be an immediate addition of a Scangauge II!

Well worth the $$. Great for tracking exact expenses of driving style of fuel economy, planning more efficient routes, and finding ideal speeds for any given terrain.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hypermiling ll

Hypermiling simply put is to employ driving techniques that enhance miles per gallon.

There are two types of hypermiling: (1) "I paid my road tax and can drive any way I like" and (2) "I respect others and like to get there quickly". To prevent road rage, choose number two.

ANTICIPATION is the key to achieving great mileage. In the city it means always looking ahead, not to the car in front, not to the next signal, but WAY ahead, many cars and several signals, in order to stay off your brakes as much as possible. You can start by playing a little game of "count the lights" where you count the times the brake lights of the car in front of you come on vs your own touch of the brakes. A good hypermiler might have a 5:1 raio; a great hypermiler 10:1.

On a two lane highway coming up on a slow moving semi, it means looking way ahead to on-coming traffic to avoid hitting your brakes, placing your car right at the rear of the semi to pass at the very moment the last on-coming car goes by. Done correctly, your speed at the start of the pass is much greater than the semi's.

Besides the benefit of greater mileage, hypermiling can double to triple the life of your brake pads and rotors. My original S2000 brake pads are less than half worn at 65,000 miles, and I don't baby this car carving up the mountain roads where I live. And going the speed limit or less may be true hypermiling but who wants to doddle and hold up others. Try to limit your speed to "10 over" and you can get great mileage without tickets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.