Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, guys! Someone can answer this message in English?

I am about to buy a CR-Z from Belgium, and the owner said that he serviced the car sometimes on every 25.000 km and sometimes more often. We in Romania (because of intense usage) change the oil / filters of every 10 - 15.000 km (at my Civic at least). How often do you service the car? is 25.000 km a maximum for not losing the warranty? The car was driven generally on exterior roads. And it has 150.000 km now.

(Below is Google translate version)
Ik sta op het punt een CR-Z uit België te kopen en de eigenaar zei dat ze de auto soms elke 25.000 km en soms vaker had gebruikt. Wij, in Roemenië (vanwege intensief gebruik), veranderen olie / filters of elke 10 - 15.000 km (althans bij Civic). Hoe vaak serveer je je auto? is het niet meer dan 25.000 km om de garantie niet te verliezen? De auto werd over het algemeen buiten gereden. En het heeft nu 150.000 km.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
Car has a monitor tells you when to change all of it. Tends to want changes every 8 to 10 K Miles. I am in USA though.
Hello, guys! Someone can answer this message in English?

I am about to buy a CR-Z from Belgium, and the owner said that he serviced the car sometimes on every 25.000 km and sometimes more often. We in Romania (because of intense usage) change the oil / filters of every 10 - 15.000 km (at my Civic at least). How often do you service the car? is 25.000 km a maximum for not losing the warranty? The car was driven generally on exterior roads. And it has 150.000 km now.

(Below is Google translate version)
Ik sta op het punt een CR-Z uit België te kopen en de eigenaar zei dat ze de auto soms elke 25.000 km en soms vaker had gebruikt. Wij, in Roemenië (vanwege intensief gebruik), veranderen olie / filters of elke 10 - 15.000 km (althans bij Civic). Hoe vaak serveer je je auto? is het niet meer dan 25.000 km om de garantie niet te verliezen? De auto werd over het algemeen buiten gereden. En het heeft nu 150.000 km.

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Car has a monitor tells you when to change all of it. Tends to want changes every 8 to 10 K Miles. I am in USA though.
Not sure if we have this on the European version.

I do service mine once by year but I do not make more the 10.000 kilometer by year.

You can ask the local Honda seller they should have detailed service maintenance manual with normal and heavy use of the vehicle.

Those manual could also be found on the web but this is not really legal.

Envoyé de mon Mi MIX 2S en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
Check the owners manual and service history book to know for sure. The monitor is built in to the MID. I doubt USA models have anything the other markets don’t. USA had least number of options of any of the CR-Zs. We had three trim levels no separate options at all.

Here in the USA some dealers provide a sheet of recommended Maintenance items which suggest more services than the actual owners manual and service history book. The Owners Manual package is what I would follow and have been. You can order replacement ones here in the USA from this company http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r= not sure if something similar is available in other parts of the world

Not sure if we have this on the European version.

I do service mine once by year but I do not make more the 10.000 kilometer by year.

You can ask the local Honda seller they should have detailed service maintenance manual with normal and heavy use of the vehicle.

Those manual could also be found on the web but this is not really legal.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Check the owners manual and service history book to know for sure. The monitor is built in to the MID. I doubt USA models have anything the other markets don’t. USA had least number of options of any of the CR-Zs.
This has been discussed before. While it's always a good idea to double check, there were some European markets that did not get the full MID like the US did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, again, guys

another issue:

So, I am set on buying this car in Belgium (near Brussels), but I have this uncertainty, and I really need your input there.

the guy that sells it to me is very kind and he answer all my requests. among others, he sent to me any service documents he has from the garage(s) he serviced the car (it was always a Honda service). But I cannot understand this thing. Why on earth did the Honda guys put 10w40 oil in this engine in the first (recorded) maintenance entries? (at 15.500 km and 35.100 km). After that they changed with 5w30 at 57.000 km. and then again 10w40 and then 0w20, 5w30...? All the official answers from Honda (customer services) was nothing more than: „As the owner’s manual tells you, the recommended engine oil type is 0W20. What we can provide you is the information above.”
Now, is it a practice in Belgium? Is it an exception? what did your garage put in the engine? and why did they used such a thick oil? It has smth to do with the outside temperature in Belgium?

And, most important, DID THIS AFFECTED THE ENGINE?

I list here the resume of the maintenance in the Honda garages, as it shows on the papers (only main items included):

7/11/11 15.500km - oil 10W40; oil filter
16/11/12 35.100km - oil 10W40; oil filter; air filter; polen filter; brake pads;
5/11/13 57.100km - oil 5W30; oil filter;
13/4/15 75.251km - oil 10W40; oil filter; air filter; polen filter; brake pads; cleaning of injection system; heat cleaning; brake fluid;
30/5/16 94.650km - oil 0W20; air filter; windscreen washers; pollen filter; update HDS
27/3/17 113.231km - oil 5W30; oil filter; brake pads; update HDS
26/7/17 119.016km - transmission fluid; frictieschijf; druckschijf; speciale kogellager; oil seal;
24/9/18 - heat shield
5/31/18 137.773km - oil 5W30; sparks; oil filter; pollen filter; air filter; update HDS

What do you think about this service plan (service interval, materials used)? maybe compared with what you have. I appreciate very much your answers!

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
With the wrong oil having been put in and documented I would find another car you have no idea what damage may have been caused. If a Honda Dealer did this then something is very fishy what are they trying to hide? But this is my opinion and I have no idea about what other countries do for service. There is never any reason to use a thicker oil that is why the oils are dual marked.

Hello, again, guys

another issue:

So, I am set on buying this car in Belgium (near Brussels), but I have this uncertainty, and I really need your input there.

the guy that sells it to me is very kind and he answer all my requests. among others, he sent to me any service documents he has from the garage(s) he serviced the car (it was always a Honda service). But I cannot understand this thing. Why on earth did the Honda guys put 10w40 oil in this engine in the first (recorded) maintenance entries? (at 15.500 km and 35.100 km). After that they changed with 5w30 at 57.000 km. and then again 10w40 and then 0w20, 5w30...? All the official answers from Honda (customer services) was nothing more than: „As the owner’s manual tells you, the recommended engine oil type is 0W20. What we can provide you is the information above.”
Now, is it a practice in Belgium? Is it an exception? what did your garage put in the engine? and why did they used such a thick oil? It has smth to do with the outside temperature in Belgium?

And, most important, DID THIS AFFECTED THE ENGINE?

I list here the resume of the maintenance in the Honda garages, as it shows on the papers (only main items included):

7/11/11 15.500km - oil 10W40; oil filter
16/11/12 35.100km - oil 10W40; oil filter; air filter; polen filter; brake pads;
5/11/13 57.100km - oil 5W30; oil filter;
13/4/15 75.251km - oil 10W40; oil filter; air filter; polen filter; brake pads; cleaning of injection system; heat cleaning; brake fluid;
30/5/16 94.650km - oil 0W20; air filter; windscreen washers; pollen filter; update HDS
27/3/17 113.231km - oil 5W30; oil filter; brake pads; update HDS
26/7/17 119.016km - transmission fluid; frictieschijf; druckschijf; speciale kogellager; oil seal;
24/9/18 - heat shield
5/31/18 137.773km - oil 5W30; sparks; oil filter; pollen filter; air filter; update HDS

What do you think about this service plan (service interval, materials used)? maybe compared with what you have. I appreciate very much your answers!

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
so you think this would be sufficient reason to not buy the car?
I was about to say that the good news is they did regular oil/filter changes, but it's not good for engine start-ups to use a higher viscosity than OEM recommendations, which is 0w20. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but I'd be sure to knock off 20% of your intended offer and tell him why you can't pay more for it. You'll still have a good car; a good engine, but change it back to 0w20 if you buy it, and also change ALL the other fluids in the car, just to start anew.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the owners manual and service history book to know for sure. The monitor is built in to the MID. I doubt USA models have anything the other markets don’t. USA had least number of options of any of the CR-Zs. We had three trim levels no separate options at all.

Here in the USA some dealers provide a sheet of recommended Maintenance items which suggest more services than the actual owners manual and service history book. The Owners Manual package is what I would follow and have been. You can order replacement ones here in the USA from this company http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r= not sure if something similar is available in other parts of the world
Actually the USA model do have an additional rear wiper...

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
I was about to say that the good news is they did regular oil/filter changes, but it's not good for engine start-ups to use a higher viscosity than OEM recommendations, which is 0w20. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but I'd be sure to knock off 20% of your intended offer and tell him why you can't pay more for it. You'll still have a good car; a good engine, but change it back to 0w20 if you buy it, and also change ALL the other fluids in the car, just to start anew.

I second this recommendation if they put the wrong weight oil in you have no idea what other incorrect fluids/parts were put in the car. I am still so shocked a Honda dealer did not follow Honda specifications for maintenance items.

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
As with any vehicle you buy ,no. You pay your money take your chances. An independent inspection by a known good certified mechanic may give you a clue but you can’t trust anything the current owner or shop(s) that have Serviced it tell you.
is there a way to detect if something is wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
is there a way to detect if something is wrong?
After further thinking on the subject, I think we're over thinking it. :)

Perhaps, they listed it as a different viscosity on the work order, but they actually put the correct 0w20 oil in. That could happen if there's a drop-down option to pick the oil type for the billing, but it was just not chosen, and showed the last "type" that was "selected."

To the best of my knowledge, and I'm not a qualified mechanic, but have torn a few engines apart and put them back together again, I think you'll have to tear the engine down to find any--if any at all--excessive wear or deterioration. I'm always open to correction, but have you asked the owner about the different types used and why, or even if that part of the paperwork is correct?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think that he knows, or cares what oil put the service guys in there. Yes, I hope there are no significant damages, I spoke with a guy that put only 10w40 in his crz, and he has 170.000 km and no problems at all. I am curious if someone experienced actual and preceivable damage using this kind of oil in a similar honda engine.
As for your version, while it is possible, I don't think it is very plausible

21 - 40 of 41 Posts