Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I got the news. Got the code poa7f, and my hybrid battery is at 19% capacity. I’m looking to replace it, and was quoted 2700 through Honda. Is this a fair price? And is there any way insurance would potentially cover a portion of costs? Any help would be appreciated.

· IMA Enthusiast
1,496 Posts
First advice is build yourself a simple cheap <$30 charger/cycler and cycle the IMA pack.
Then reset the IMA useable capacity using a borrowed HDS or OBDIIC&C and see how long it lasts.
It's probably just got lazy and weak.

See this thread for details..

· Registered
589 Posts
A company called Bumblebee Batteries makes hybrid batteries for the CR-Z, so you could have a look at their website: Find My Battery - Bumblebee Batteries

By the way, did you get this error out of the blue or did you notice something before (or maybe know that you or the previous owner did not use it correctly, for example not driving for many months)? I am very curious how this could have happened, since you are probably the first person on this forum to replace the hybrid battery.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will look into those batteries thanks. It’s been a pending issue, I noticed a slow decrease in mpg at first, but it was hard to diagnose how drastic with a change to my wheel/tire/intake set up, then it became more noticeable and the battery would frequently and rapidly charge and discharge on even short trips. The last week, it was making the car pretty undrivable with the lack of torque when I needed it. I intend to keep the car for a long time so I am going to replace the battery. As far as when the code popped up, I would say that was maybe two months ago and reaching out to some people it seemed like it may have just been a software issue, which I know Honda issued an update for. On my own personal faults, I dismissed it as that but started to suspect something else. I am curious to know if replacing the battery is something I can do myself or not.

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
There is also a warranty on the battery that varies in length depending on where you live but it may take some convincing at the dealer to apply it. Even though it is expired you may be able to as a courtesy get the dealer to help. Since it is a 2011, was the update done to yours? If not it might help. Another option is a used battery and here is a source https://www.redlineautoparts.com/honda-cr-z/

Yours will be the first case of a replacement IMA battery in a CR-Z.:( But as they get older this will occur more and more.

Attachments

· Registered
589 Posts
In the Netherlands, there are a few companies that repair/refurbish hybrid battery packs to at least 80% of the original capacity. The cost of a refurbished hybrid battery (including installation and a 6 month warranty) is about €700, which is about $850. Even some official Toyota dealerships use their services, since Toyota offers a lot of hybrids in the Netherlands and hybrids sell really well here (tax/financial reasons).

Maybe you can find something similar in the US... I hope you will find a good solution! :)

· Registered
462 Posts
I also drive a 2011 and mine has 170k on it. The battery still sees to be working fine. I have been wanting to build the charger that PeterPerkins was mentioning to see if I could coax a little more capacity out of my battery. This charge he has mentioned would likely cost less than $20 and should be worth a try.

· Registered
128 Posts
Based on some things others have said, be sure to check your 12volt under-hood battery as well before you write your IMA pack off. The 12v battery is used to drive various parts of the management system, and you can get some strange things going on when circuitry is run under-voltage. (I got an IMA error when my 12v battery was dead, but at that point, it was too dead to even make the IMA motor start the car.)

That is not likely to be the problem, but a $100-$200 battery is much better than a $1000+ battery, if it is the problem!

I also drive a 2011 and mine has 170k on it. The battery still sees to be working fine. I have been wanting to build the charger that PeterPerkins was mentioning to see if I could coax a little more capacity out of my battery. This charge he has mentioned would likely cost less than $20 and should be worth a try.
I also drive a 2011, with nearly 170k miles as well. During a recent oil change, I had the dealership run a battery level test, and they reported that the battery still had ~75% capacity. I do a fair amount of highway driving though. I wonder if Cwilliamsvalenzuela lives in a large city or ends up doing some other kind of driving that resulted in significantly more charge/discharge cycles. Or, if it is just an early failure of multiple cells/packs.

· Registered
44 Posts
Well, today I got the news. Got the code poa7f, and my hybrid battery is at 19% capacity. I’m looking to replace it, and was quoted 2700 through Honda. Is this a fair price? And is there any way insurance would potentially cover a portion of costs? Any help would be appreciated.
YES!!!! Advance auto part wants $3,000(give or take) for the battery alone DYI labor

· Registered
2 Posts
In the Netherlands, there are a few companies that repair/refurbish hybrid battery packs to at least 80% of the original capacity. The cost of a refurbished hybrid battery (including installation and a 6 month warranty) is about €700, which is about $850. Even some official Toyota dealerships use their services, since Toyota offers a lot of hybrids in the Netherlands and hybrids sell really well here (tax/financial reasons).

Maybe you can find something similar in the US... I hope you will find a good solution! :)
Could you advise how to find such in The Netherlands?

· Registered
589 Posts
Could you advise how to find such in The Netherlands?
Are you having issues with your battery currently?

Here are some websites you can check out. Please note that they hardly ever list the CR-Z, but they do offer the services for the CR-Z (I have contacted them in the past). They refer to the Honda Insight for pricing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts