Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so my car has been having a bit of trouble its at 87000 miles and while driving on a highway and exiting my car starts to die out. no check engine light but the battery light pops up and my vehicle wont move at all it just dies. but the battery assist is full so i dont know whats going on any one got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Dumb question. How old is the under hood battery and are you getting any warning lights or have you had it scanned for codes? Clean the battery terminals and the clamps, and tighten both terminal clamps. If the under hood battery is old, replace it or have it load tested after the cleaning and tightening. Terminal clamps do loosen and get caked with corrosion and can cause weird electrical issues. More often on a CR-Z they die.

If it is an IMA issue, you will need it scanned with an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System). Some car parts place scanners or the ODB II dongles might be able to show some codes, but to see all the Honda Specific codes you need the HDS.

My 2013 just got to 83000 miles and has no issues but when parked it is on a charger maintainer and my under hood batter is a warranty replacement from 2015. (overdue for death) I have noticed my under hood battery voltage when read by the Scan Gauge II while driving is drifting lower than it had before. It used to never go below 12.5, but I am seeing 12.2 with car running, but it still goes up to 14 periodically when driving.

We have had a few IMA fan failures over the years (There is a specific code for that) and if the IMA battery is hot it shuts down. @PeterPerkins can shed more light on that, but you need the code(s). Most common failure is under hood battery, second is IMA fan. 3rd is DC to DC converter. Few have been fan and converter, and some have had board failures in the LI-ION cars lately.

Summary: Get car read for code(s) and if you can when not driving it till you get under hood battery replaced or load tested, keep the car on a charger maintainer when parked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
no codes were read but i turn my car on it starts up idles for a second and then dies it just happen after driving it i did it to test and its when i drive it aggressively. can it be my battery over heating(ima)
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
454 Posts
Get your 12V battery tested now, most parts stores will do it for free. Replace it if it fails, or if it's more than a few years old just replace it based on time as that's about how long they last.
Chances are good that a new 12V battery will solve your issue, but if it doesn't it's still money well spent and one thing you can eliminate from the troubleshooting process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts