Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
i think it is normal? haha
ive tried to charge as much as i can while driving, and i FINALLY got it to charge to the last bar.
but after that, i nvr reached up to that point.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
How do you know if it is fully charged? Does it just stop charging?
My last bar does light up but it rarely stay there.
I think that is fairly normal. It will fully charge under optimal conditions but as soon as you accelerate a bit, your going to loose a bar or two. The battery is going to help with the acceleration.

- Storm Silver CR-Z CVT EX/W NAVI -All the exterior/Interior options - 17" Rims/Tires etc., minus Nose Mask.
- Previous Car = CIVIC Hybrid EX/W NAVI and HFP Package - 18 HFP Rims/Tires and body moldings. Really liked it but always in ECON mode. Lov'n the CR-Z. Wifey too. We are 49 year old empty nesters.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think that is fairly normal. It will fully charge under optimal conditions but as soon as you accelerate a bit, your going to loose a bar or two. The battery is going to help with the acceleration.
That's why I ask these questions to those saying their last bar don't light up when fully charged. What makes them conclude it is fully charged?

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I drove down Mt. Fuji all my bars lit up to the point where even the last bar was lit and the little green charge bars went away until I started driving up hills again. Also when I was driving down the mountain my kpl read out to 99.9. I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the last bar represents about the last 5% of battery completion if it's fully charged the second you take off again it's gone. I know on a hybrid if you store it for a long time you can put it in park hold the rev's at about 2k and charge your battery full that's about the only time mine has been full

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
When I drove down Mt. Fuji all my bars lit up to the point where even the last bar was lit and the little green charge bars went away until I started driving up hills again. Also when I was driving down the mountain my kpl read out to 99.9. I hope that answers your question.
Yes.. that is the only time I have seen mine indicating a full charge (all the bars). Scooting down the mountains, with it in whatever gear is appropriate for the speed I want, and no accelerator.

Man.. I would love to drive down Mt. Fuji.... that would be COOL!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I only fill the last bar on the battery indicator after driving down hill for longer periods. The car doesn't seem to prioritize filling that last bar on regular driving in relatively flat areas. I filled it twice today though, going over a mountain pass to see a client. I took it all the way down to 3 bars on the way up and all the way back up to full on the way down. It takes way longer to fill the last bar then the others though. You can also see the closer you get to filling the last bar the less the car charges on the indicator. When it is topped off, it doesn't charge at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you rev the car in neutral to above 3k rpms you can charge the battery manually so that it's full.

I have to do this before each and every autocross run and we had to do it when I took the car to the dyno.

With a full battery you can only do about 3-4 Full on acceleration runs (to 0-100mph) before the battery is depleted.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If you rev the car in neutral to above 3k rpms you can charge the battery manually so that it's full.

I have to do this before each and every autocross run and we had to do it when I took the car to the dyno.

With a full battery you can only do about 3-4 Full on acceleration runs (to 0-100mph) before the battery is depleted.
How does this work exactly? I will be driving autoslalom next season, so it would be nice to know ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had mine full while driving through town today and yes, it stops charging itself when it is full.
Me too! 1st time I've seen it completely 'full'.
Coming home from work tonight in the dark - headlights & heater going hard, cruising througha 30 mph limit in Eco mode (always use Eco for that part of the commute), 3 miles from starting the engine: bingo - I have a full head of steam! :hi5:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Me too! Filled up today on the way to the dealer for some service. First time it's ever done it naturally (w/out the neutral rev). AND, I was in sport mode, driving it hard.. I was honestly TRYING to lower the battery level, as it's one of the things they're looking at today while it's in for service!! (I drained it completely twice yesterday, w/ just normal highway driving.. Just about any on ramp to the highway in econ mode will drain my battery from ~full to 3 bars/no assistance.. If I drive like every other Dbag around me...)

BUT, it is about 30degrees colder than usual this morning. Could it simply be that the cold has temporarily decreased the capacity of the battery, so it's showing full.. and maybe this afternoon when its warmer it won't be again?
Anyway, still cool it finally shows full on its own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.