Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This past Saturday, an IMA Warning popped up on my screen when I was driving in town. I took it to a near by Autozone to see what code popped up and it was the P1448 code. I did some research and found out some of you had the same issue with the battery fan. Afterwards, I was driving it to Honda to have them take a look and then I noticed, the IMA Warning was gone. I thought "Oh crap, now they won't know what's wrong.", but I took it there anyways.

The guy at Honda asked what was wrong and I told him the code and that my battery fan was always on full blast. I also smelled like a burning wire smell.
He said "It'll be 115.00 to look at and diagnose." "Um what? I told you where to look, it's the fan. It's obviously the fan." "Well, we just want to make sure." he said.
Eff it. I paid the 115.00 and dropped it off.

4 hours later, the guy I was dealing with called me and I quote "Do you listen to the radio without your car running?" "Maybe like once in a blue moon, why?" I said. "Ah, I was hoping you'd say that." He said. He basically told me my issue was that I drained the battery too quick and to not listen to my radio when my car isn't running. So he cleared the code and he said I should be fine. Cool.

The next day, the IMA warning came back on. REALLY?

I called Honda and chewed them out. So the guy told me to bring it in at no charge and they'll look at it again. *This time, the IMA warning was still on.

I made it to Honda and the guy asked me if I was going to drop it off. Before I could even answer, he said, you should probably stay, it won't take long.

4 hours later, he comes back to tell me a code came up. And guess what code it was? Yep, you guessed it. P1448. He said it was the fan. Wow.

So another guy comes out to talk to me since the guy I was working with left for the day. Tells me that the new fan and labor is going to be $745.00. Then he tells me once I fix that, THEN we can test the fan module to see if that is working. So basically, fix the fan and THEN possibly fix the module since one of the two aren't working. So just pay to fix both. Yeah, no.

"Well, if you can't afford the parts now, today's total will be 115.00" he says. I then got frustrated and told him off. In the end, I didn't pay the 115.00.

"If you don't fix the fan, your car battery could explode when you're driving around, so we want to fix it asap." I thought to myself, "I'll just go to the forums and ask the guys at the forum to see what they think".

After all of that crap, he then tells me about the survey and that he reaaaaally needs a perfect score. "If you give me a perfect score, i'm not saying we'll give you special treatment...but we'll give you special treatment."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why aren't you giving me special treatment now so I have INCENTIVE to give you a perfect score?

I'm so done with Honda Service.

TLDR;
P1448 code came up and they want $745.00 to replace the fan.

Any thoughts?

PS.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks fellas.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flip the IMA switch in the trunk, drive like that until your new fan comes in. Replace fan yourself. Profit.

1J810-RTW-003 ~$230
Haha, what's going on Leitz? :thumbsup:

I appreciate you going out of your way to find the part for me. I'll have to search the forums and see if there's a DIY for installing that thing, lol.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate everyone's advice. I'll go ahead and pick a fan up and get down to business myself.

Also, I forgot to mention that the technician said, once he banged on the fan a little, it started working.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to update you guys.

I just got off the phone with Customer Service and the guy agreed with everything I said, so he's passing along the notes to the case manager and I should get a call back from him tomorrow.

Also, I don't know what kind of practice Honda teaches, but before I left the dealership last night, my service adviser said, and I quote "Even though we didn't really help you, could you fill out the survey Honda sends you and give me a perfect score? We really value those survey results, even more than the work we put into cars. Anything less than a perfect score is considered a failure and I could lose my job over it. And you know how the job market is nowadays, right? If you give me a perfect score, i'm not saying I'll give you special treatment, *whispers* but I'll give you special treatment."

I said "we'll see." and left.

I had to take a few minutes to fathom what I just heard. The Honda dealership I go to is everything but professional.

Sorry if I repeated anything. I just wanted to elaborate, lol.

· Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,185 Posts
Wow never heard of that code. You may be the first to make a DIY! Fans don't last forever. I'm sure others will have this problem in the future.

I hate your Honda dealer, wtf. Mine is family owned and genuine, no surveys, they are upfront about costs and options, Honda Goodwill Warranty with lower prices, etc. I hope Honda Corporate helps you out!!

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd pass this on to Honda corporate. Hopefully they'll sort it out for you. I feel like this is a particular dealership in Ashburn...? perhaps? Just wondering...
I definitely passed it onto Honda Corporate. And nah, it wasn't Ashburn. It was in Fredericksburg.
Wow never heard of that code. You may be the first to make a DIY! Fans don't last forever. I'm sure others will have this problem in the future.

I hate your Honda dealer, wtf. Mine is family owned and genuine, no surveys, they are upfront about costs and options, Honda Goodwill Warranty with lower prices, etc. I hope Honda Corporate helps you out!!
Haha, if it comes down to it, I'll try my hand at the DIY!

Your Honda dealer sounds awesome. I'm glad you don't have to go through what I'm currently going through! And thanks for the kind words! I hope they help me out too.

I should hear something tomorrow, so I'll keep you guys posted.

If worse comes to worst, I'll just buy the fan, figure it out, and create the DIY for you all.

· Registered
209 Posts
I have some experience tinkering with this fan. As a safety feature, the fan is designed to default to full blast if it does not get the proper signal from the controller, or if the IMA is acting up. Since everything else works fine it may just be a faulty chip in the fan that interprets the signal. The controller also monitors the resultant fan speed so if the fan bearing is bad, the car will detect i and throw the code. The alternative is a faulty controller which is much more costly.

The swap is very easy. After you take off some trim near the trunk, it's just one connector and a few screws. It looks like you may get it taken care of. In the end if you are forced to pay, I'd recommend buying the part and swapping it out yourself since it's so simple and much cheaper. My only worry is if you do it and the problem persists.

· Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,185 Posts
Heyy that's awesome! I wonder if they gave you the Honda Goodwill Warranty to lower the price?

I was out of warranty when I had moisture in a taillight. It was a $527 job to replace it (part+labor). Because I service my CRZ with Honda and I have a recordable history they (my dealer) offered me said warranty, and I paid only $50 for a new taillight installed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.