Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get a base model, are the speakers still the foster speakers? Does anyone know if the wiring for the ex premium sub is part of the loom? Is retrofitting a premium sub fairly easy (ie the wiring is there already)?

As you may have seen on the main forum, our zed got smacked. I've got a short window of time on Monday to go get my crap out of the car and sign the release form. I won't have time to be able to rip out the amp or the factory sub which I highly rate).

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I'd have some answers to this. There are 2 zed's I'm currently looking at on is a 12 in mid blue (don't like but don't hate) that has the bells n whistles sound and nav. The other is a 15 in blackberry but it's a base model.

The blue one, I wouldnt change a thing but my son has this t'eyes head unit in his head. The purple one I don't know about the fitted speakers. It also doesn't have an amp nor the sub. I suppose I could find the parts here or the bay.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
155 Posts
The Honda parts site (estore.honda.com) states that the base model (2015) has the same part number for the speakers as the EX (2012).
Not a 100% guarantee, however.

Does the '12 have a reverse camera?

Looking at the FSM i see two different wiring diagrams for with amp and without amp.
Looking at the parts site, it doesn't seem to list the wiring harnesses for the speakers. Or at least I couldn't find it.

It would probably be cheaper to put an aftermarket sub + amp instead of using the stock sub. There are some pretty good affordable options now that deliver much better than the OE.
See: Bass Packages at Crutchfield

Used OE subwoofers appear to be around 100 bucks and you would still need to get the amp and wiring to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why go for OEM sub and speakers when they are terrible and expensive?

Go with good aftermarket front component system speakers, add an aftermarket amp, and an aftermarket subwoofer. (12" Pioneer shallow in a sealed box is pretty good)
I changed my speakers and added an amp. I'm happy with the speakers but not so much with a Chinese aftermarket android HU though.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I've never heard a better factory setup than what was in the zed. The fronts were components and the rear sub thumped wihout vibrating the sheet metal. The Foster(Fostex) speakers wer very crisp to my ears.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
155 Posts
They are pretty good from the factory (compared to other cars around the same time / price). Modern cars seem to be upping their game a bit though.
If you want to replace the speakers you'd need a new HU or a DSP in-line.

As far as subwoofers go, however; the cheapest will almost certainly be installing one of those bass packages.
If you have a pro-audio shop nearby, you can probably stop in and hear for yourself how certain subs sound.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well work got in the way and when I checked the dealer website the purple one was sold. I keep telling my son that if it's meant to be it will happen. He thinks I'm talking bollocks.

The blue ex with nav is still available so a road trip this weekend may be in order. IMHO, the blue one is the better option. Fully loaded and fewer miles.

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
24 Posts
Some information after trying to upgrade my own base model car:

EX sound system has an additional amplifier which the base doesn't come with (hidden in the dash)

Base model crz's don't come with the screw holes or thread ends to actually mount the subwoofer on the back (at least here in EU). So you would have to get those fabricated.

Also the wires aren't there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts