Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, you know I've gone to the dark side. But here's a tidbit that, if it comes to fruition, might stop some of you from following….

Honda plotting baby NSX sports car | Auto Express

Honda Preparing To Challenge Porsche Cayman And Alfa Romeo 4C With US Built 400HP Baby NSX
AGENT009 SUBMITTED ON 6/16/2015 AUTO SPIES PHOTOS TIMESTAMP: 11:30:00 AM

Honda close to green-lighting 400bhp baby NSX hybrid as a spiritual successor to S2000 roadster

The new Honda Civic Type R and NSX are just the beginning of Honda’s revitalized performance car range. Auto Express has learned that an all-new mid-engined sports cars to go go up against the Porsche Cayman and Alfa 4C is in the pipeline.

The baby NSX coupe will bear similar proportions to Honda’s new flagship supercar and will also incorporate some of its technology such as the hybrid four-wheel drive system.

The mid-engined coupe will slot in between the NSX and the little turbocharged S660 mini-roadster already on sale in Japan, that’s expected to spawn a more powerful S1000 for European markets. A Honda insider told us the Japanese car-maker has not only been debating the viability of a third mid-engined model, but that it’s already deep into development.

Honda’s plan is to assemble it alongside the NSX in Ohio, North America. Unlike the NSX, however, the Cayman rival is expected to wear the Honda badge in North America as opposed to luxury sub-brand Acura.

Our sources claim the newcomer will be powered by a mid-mounted 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder VTEC engine lifted from the Type R. Internal tinkering will see power rise from 306bhp to around 330bhp. Like the NSX, three electric motors will supplement power, with two front axle-mounted motors driving the front wheels through a nine-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Total output is said to be around 400bhp.

It will also be based around a bespoke aluminum space frame wrapped in aluminum with carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) body panels to keep weight below 1,400kg. Insiders claim it will arrive with class-leading performance and handling.

Although development is underway, its arrival is not expected until 2018 with a target price of £60,000. Honda's baby NSX should appear around the same time as Toyota's born-again Supra, which is being co-developed with BMW's Z4 replacement.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
i really hope that £60,000 translates to <$60,000 US :(

edit: otherwise, c'mon, GT4 all the way

It actually quotes out at about $94,000, but, most of the time cars in the UK run for more money then the US, so I wouldn't really compare that for US retail pricing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Zach - yeah I didn't even want to bring exchange rates into it explicitly because the dollar is still kinda sad, but yeah that's exactly why I hope it's <$60,000 - it's $100k over there, which is GT4 money :/

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they want to play against the Cayman and the 4C, then they have to be in the US $60-70K range. Gonna be tight, with what will probably be a low-volume car featuring a new hybrid drive-train and significant development costs. Presumably, its being considered for economies of scale, meaning both the NSX and son-of-NSX benefit from lower costs on shared components.

But it's hard to make money on a car like that. Theory is the Alfa is being sold at a loss in the US, written off to promotional expense. Porsche just keeps tweaking the Cayman (which also shares the Boxter platform), so the development costs are minimal and it just protects the lower end of the 911 market. Honda can't do either with a new car like this. And if they jack the price up too high, forget about selling any. Or you just get too close to MSRP of the NSX and cannibalize its sales. I'm not expecting this car to get past accounting.

My guess is that this idea will morph into that for the next gen CR-Z, and share some technology with the NSX on a higher volume, lower cost platform. And that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and for those who are going to lament the loss of the MT, trust me, a dual clutch automated manual is a HOOT to drive. Don't knock it until you've tried it, and don't poo-poo it if you only have experience on a single clutch unit (even those of the Ferrari F360 / F430 or Lamborghini Gallardo).

Our sources claim the newcomer will be powered by a mid-mounted 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder VTEC engine lifted from the Type R. Internal tinkering will see power rise from 306bhp to around 330bhp. Like the NSX, three electric motors will supplement power, with two front axle-mounted motors driving the front wheels through a nine-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Total output is said to be around 400bhp.

·
Registered
592 Posts
if you want overall faster shifts, then yes. better fuel economy, yes also. people without left feet, works for them too. heck it's pretty much better in all regards.

but.

a proper manual gearbox with a third pedal is still the most engaging to drive. also gives you an added layer of control and feedback.

there are reasons why Porsche would release the Cayman GT4 in ONLY a manual transmission. sometimes a great car goes beyond just numbers on a sheet of paper and quick lap times around a certain track. even if it means shooting themselves in the foot in sales lol

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Oh, and for those who are going to lament the loss of the MT, trust me, a dual clutch automated manual is a HOOT to drive. Don't knock it until you've tried it....
Uh, can I come up and try it? I don't want to knock it, if you know what I mean. Not that I don't trust your word or anything....:lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
The UI of a 3 pedal manual is more appealing to me than a 2 pedal manual, having driven both :) The performance of a 2 pedal manual is undoubtedly better in every other way (except feedback).

I'll continue hunting my 3 pedal unicorns until they're all dead and gone! :)

p.s. that gt4 is amazing. I loved the cayman s (manual of course!) i test drove while shopping for my CRZ, it felt great (and came out to be $5,000 cheaper than what I ended up spending on my 'Z lol). it was used though, and I could tell it had sat at this sketchy af dealer for a while :( and it was pre '09 and I needed a 100% DD. but I'll get one, hopefully a gt4, someday!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A new car from Honda that's been in the news is a Japan only rwd s660 and it looks a hell of a lot like the crz. Some arrivals have been referring to it as the baby nsx. I was wounding if we will have our crz with a rwd rear engine add on lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
:blink::ughgtfo::rotfl:

uhhh are you talking about this?

2015 Honda S660 Mid-Engine Roadster First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

cuz im sorry but that looks nothing like the crz to me aside from maybe color, and yeah no we wont get that drivetrain. if im not mistaken it would be a serious loss in power as well. the s660 makes us look heavy and i believe runs under 100hp.

just checkin if were talking about the same thing here. did u read the link by op or have you read on the baby nsx? completely different cars. buuut the dream of having a rwd crz certainly is one to reach for..it is suggested that a next gen crz might come with more hp and possibly drop the hybrid drivetrain. i personally hope that doesnt happen. while i welcome more power, the hybrid portion, for me, makes the crz what it is..

A new car from Honda that's been in the news is a Japan only rwd s660 and it looks a hell of a lot like the crz. Some arrivals have been referring to it as the baby nsx. I was wounding if we will have our crz with a rwd rear engine add on lol

·
Registered
5 Posts

uhhh are you talking about this?

2015 Honda S660 Mid-Engine Roadster First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

cuz im sorry but that looks nothing like the crz to me aside from maybe color, and yeah no we wont get that drivetrain. if im not mistaken it would be a serious loss in power as well. the s660 makes us look heavy and i believe runs under 100hp.

just checkin if were talking about the same thing here. did u read the link by op or have you read on the baby nsx? completely different cars. buuut the dream of having a rwd crz certainly is one to reach for..it is suggested that a next gen crz might come with more hp and possibly drop the hybrid drivetrain. i personally hope that doesnt happen. while i welcome more power, the hybrid portion, for me, makes the crz what it

Yes that would be the one. Not by body panels or the out side do they look the same but by the bones as if they are using the same frame. And to the baby nsx yes I should have read threw but was just looking up the s660 and came across the post.

The hybrid system should be scraped and either have more displacement or a turbo.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Sadly, these are all discussions we've had here on the forum.

- Honda won't drop the FF layout of the CR-Z to change to a MR / FR layout.
- Anything is possible with enough money.
- Honda S660 is an amazing car, and I hope we get it here in the US.
- There have been rumors of future CR-Z's not having a hybrid drivetrain, but who knows.
- Want a fast CR-Z? Boost yours or KSWAP it.
- The S660 and CR-Z won't be using the same frame, as they don't really have a "frame" as these are unibody cars, just specific points that are strengthened to provide rigidity (including what we call "frame rails" on these cars. Very far off designs to have so many future similarities.

Happy tuning!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts