Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking off the OEM wheels and placing them in the hatch area to check on fitment, I realized that four wheels and tires will fit back there easily. That leads me to start looking at another set of wheels and r-comps for next season. I can't find any r-comps (at Tire Rack) that are the OEM size, so I changed the dimensions to find something that might fit. What I found were these:
205/50/16
Hankook Ventus Z214
Hankook Ventus Z214

Never heard of them and not a lot of selection out there right now.

Heck, I don't even know of that size will fit on the Z? Anyone hear of that size being used on the street right now?

· Registered
332 Posts
If you're talking about street-tires, Dunlop Direzza Z1 StarSpec. Done.

I have a set of 205/50/16's that will be going on at the start of the 2011 season.

There are tons of r-comps in that size too. Keep in mind that if you want to get out of HS, a 15" wheel will fit, and you'll save money on rubber and widen your choices. Pretty much anything that will fit a 2006+ Si will fit the CRZ.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but am looking for an r-comp. My competition is on r-comps. I may go up to 17's and go with a 215/40/17.

· Registered
33 Posts
Keep in mind that if you want to get out of HS, a 15" wheel will fit, and you'll save money on rubber and widen your choices.
hmmm... I've been wondering if a 15" wheel would fit the CR-Z. Are you sure they will work? I use a 15" wheel on my FIT sport and dropped 4lbs per corner of wheel/tire weight.

· Registered
332 Posts
I have some camry wheels I need to try to put on. On paper, they fit.

The front brakes are the same as the fit, and the rear brakes are the same as a prelude. I don't see why they wouldn't fit.

If they do, I have some tire-buying to do.

· Registered
693 Posts
hmmm... I've been wondering if a 15" wheel would fit the CR-Z. Are you sure they will work? I use a 15" wheel on my FIT sport and dropped 4lbs per corner of wheel/tire weight.
I think that 15's might be a better ticket for performance since the CRZ gearing is a bit long, a slightly smaller circumference tire like a 205/50/15 might actually shorten up the gearing and give better autocross performnce. And I think you would have lots of choices of R compound in that size.

· Registered
237 Posts
To answer the question on going with a smaller wheel, to remain in stock class you have to stick with the 16" factory wheels or same size with at max a 5mm offset difference. I already checked on the 17" optional wheels, they are not considered a factory installed part, so are not legal in stock, just like all "dealer installed options".

The CR-Z should be capable of running at a national level in H-Stock. I did quite well with it last season in the two regional events that I ran it in. Though I was on street tires, my times were in the same range as the other H-Stock national level drivers in my region. The Base Mini Cooper is still the car of choice in H-Stock, but I really believe that if properly set up, the CR-Z can take the title. Because of the IMA system, corner exit is fantastic. The car rotates very easily, the steering rack great in sport mode and it's pretty predictable.

The big downfall of the car is the lack of factory camber adjustment in the rear and the very small amount that you can get in the front. I was able to dial to almost 0.2 degrees of negative in the front, the factory rear camber is about 1.5-1.7 negative with no adjustment other than shims, which you can not do.

As for tires, If you plan on competing in divisional level events and potentially nationally in H-Stock, I'd go with either a Hoosier A6 or a Kumho V710. The Hankook is a nice tire, but they tend to be a bit harder and worse on heat soak than the two aforementioned. If you're just going out there for fun, I'd stick with a street tire. A Dunlop Star Spec or Kumho Ecsta XS are the ST tire of choice right now if you're on a budget, if money is of no concern, the RE-11 Bridgestone is where it's at.

· Registered
34 Posts
Honad, good summary. I'm also considering a CR-Z for H Stock class autocross. Any idea if Honda offers front camber adjustment bolts (smaller diameter than stock) for approved front camber adjustment?

I use Dunlop Star Specs on my current autocross car (Cooper S in STX), and they are a fine tire both for competition and summer road use. Also wonderful on wet courses.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
After taking off the OEM wheels and placing them in the hatch area to check on fitment, I realized that four wheels and tires will fit back there easily. That leads me to start looking at another set of wheels and r-comps for next season. I can't find any r-comps (at Tire Rack) that are the OEM size, so I changed the dimensions to find something that might fit. What I found were these:
205/50/16
Hankook Ventus Z214
Hankook Ventus Z214

Never heard of them and not a lot of selection out there right now.

Heck, I don't even know of that size will fit on the Z? Anyone hear of that size being used on the street right now?
I'd honestly stay with 16". Less rotational mass. And with R-comps the smaller contact patch will be more than made up for.

I used these tires (or very similar) on my moderately modded '04 STi for Auto-X. Coming form the "ultra high performance" Potenza RE070 225/45/17 stock tires, the Hankook's were a world of difference. I did use a 17", though. The STi brakes won't fit a 16".

In fact, before I even read the OP I was thinking of Hankook R compound.

· Registered
205 Posts
If you're talking about street-tires, Dunlop Direzza Z1 StarSpec. Done.

I have a set of 205/50/16's that will be going on at the start of the 2011 season
Nice choice. I currently have those Dunlop tires on my 94' hatch. If you are a baller, I would go with the Potenza RE11. I had the RE01-R on my hatch in 09 and I gotta say they were the best tires I have ever owned.

· Registered
101 Posts
I would try to get the lowest profile tires on as possible, the smaller diameter will help with acceleration.
Does Hosier still make there bias ply Autocrosser tire? (its been over ten years since I bought a set)
Bias ply tires don't need as much camber as radials.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To answer the question on going with a smaller wheel, to remain in stock class you have to stick with the 16" factory wheels or same size with at max a 5mm offset difference. I already checked on the 17" optional wheels, they are not considered a factory installed part, so are not legal in stock, just like all "dealer installed options".
I knew I couldn't go smaller and stay in HS and this car won't compete in otherwise stock form in a modified class.

I was looking into the 17's for a larger contact patch compared to the 16's, but the difference in sidewall height and weight might be more of a detriment than the concat is an advantage.

Seeing that the 17's aren't considered a factory part, I guess it's the 16's for me.

I can get a set of 16's mounted with r-comps and TPMS's delivered for $1271.70. Now I am waiting to hear from Tire Rack about the TPMS and if the car will automatically recognize the new TPMS senders when I swap at the event or am I going to have a buzzer and light on my dash and stability control system that I can't defeat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.