Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AutoGuide: 2011 Honda CR-Z Review

FAST FACTS

1. A 1.5L i-VTEC 4-cylinder and 10-Kw electric motor combine to produce 122-hp and 128 ft-lbs of torque (123 ft-lbs with the CVT).

2. Honda’s IMA Hybrid system is a less advanced system than the one in the Prius. The car can’t operate on pure electric power, but does get electric assist, as well as a start-stop system and regenerative braking.

3. Fuel economy ranges from 35/39-mpg (city/highway) for the CVT and 31/37-mpg for the 6-speed manual.

4. Base models start at $19,200 while a nicely equipped EX with the CVT goes for $21,410.

5. The CR-Z is the only hybrid available with a manual transmission.

THE VERDICT

Considered another of Honda’s recent failures by many, the CR-Z is severely misunderstood – tragically perhaps. Purists will complain that the hybrid setup adds weight and cost to the product, but in both cases the additions are quite minor. But forget it’s a hybrid and it’s easy to love this clever package.

The CR-Z is not a sports car and it’s not a 50-mpg Prius. And it’s not a revolutionary bringing together of both – something that would no doubt be awesome, but cost twice as much. Instead the CR-Z is half way between, delivering a very cool and extremely fun to drive car that’s incredibly unique and easy on the environment. It’s perfectly targeted at younger urban buyers and its priced right too.

LOVE IT
- Futuristic design inside and out
- Incredibly agile, but also quite refined
- Three drive modes deliver fun or efficiency

LEAVE IT
-More advanced hybrid system would help improve fuel economy and even performance
-Stick shift with start-stop takes some getting used to
-Bluetooth isn’t standard

Read Full Review: 2011 Honda CR-Z Review: Car Reviews

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to agree - this is one of the best reviews I have seen of the car so far... you can tell they actually drove it, and understood it. The car isn't meant to be a speed-demon, and its not meant to be the CRX, or the Prius.... but taken as "it is what it is" it is a pretty darn good car.

Kudos to AutoGuide.... i'm liking more and more of their stuff lately. Definetly better than the crap from MotorTrend, Edmunds, etc.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I agree as well with both the video and the fast facts. It's concise and spot on. It may not be what folks want to hear, but it covers the main pros/cons and perceptions.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i agree overall a good review... not sure what he's talking about with the idle stop and the 6MT being hard to drive... i had no issues driving with that... and he also makes it seem like you HAVE to throw it in Neutral if you're slowing down... you can leave it in gear just like any other manual car... personally i like to throw it in neutral right b4 i stop...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can't comment on the integrated motor assist-related issue the reviewer had, as my CR-Z is a CVT and not a manual transmission. However, it is oh so good to see a review where the reviewer GETS IT-- a good mix of fuel efficiency, fun driving, and great looks at a quite reasonable price! Kudos to him for that!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.