Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only owned my cr-z for a week (3 fill ups, averaging 38,8), although i've been reading a lot of this blog for longer. There's a lot to read, and so i'm sure i have missed some discussions. I own a 6-spd manual base. Am having seats covered in leather, will show pix when finished.

Does anyone know if the car's computer "learns" operator habits?

I have always had a stick shift car, and so i have some habits that i don't consider strange, but perhaps some would. I do a lot of coasting in neutral (when it's safe to do so). In much older cars, it used to be called freewheeling, and there it was built into the car such that when you let off of the gas, especially on a downhill incline going over 40 mph, the car would disengage the transmission from the driveshaft, allowing the vehicle to coast without compression braking.

I coast routinely approaching stop signs as well, especially lighted ones in the hope that i won't have to actually ever stop the car before the light changes. I assume this kind of timing (even with automatics) is done by lots of people here as well.

At any rate, with respect to the idea of learning, when i first started driving the cr-z, i purposely did not do any coasting in neutral. I wanted to see how the car performed, especially the auto stop function. The car indeed did stop the engine typically at or below 5 mph as long as i had my foot on the brake the entire time.

However, after a while i did initiate more coasting, and when i would approach a situation where it looked like i'd not have to stop, at the appropriate time i'd put it in 2nd gear, as first is almost too low at any forward speed, and second gear is generally low enough to use at speed as long as you're level or declining; i then started noticing that when i would later come to an ordinary stop in an ordinary manner, i.e. Not coasting, the engine seemed to want to stay on rather than do its usual routine, which led me to consider the idea that it was learning to adjust to my habits. Perhaps i just haven't had enough time behind the wheel, which is very likely. As for coasting at higher speed, it performs like any stick shift vehicle. I had visions before taking possession of the car that it would shut off during this, but the engineers anticipated that experience and programmed it to stay on. Too bad.

Also, i noticed that after i experienced the 'lo fuel" warning sign, the engine did not auto stop at stop signs. I take it that the engineers did not want to start the engine with low fuel levels in the gas tank, for perhaps various reasons. Has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coasting and Autostop with 6MT

I also have a 6MT base which I have owned for almost a month. It has been a few weeks of intrigue as I like to figure out how everything works. I too am a long time manual transmission guy and found I can increase my fuel economy anywhere from 5-10mpg by coasting between red lights. It does require some planning and can be especially challenging in traffic and to keep the guy behind you from getting ticked off. I quickly learned coasting to a stop will not recharge the battery and found a way to work around this and still gain the benefits of coasting. I get up to speed and let the car coast in neutral. When its time to start slowing down I shift the car into 4th gear let the clutch out and apply the brake. The recharge indicator goes off the scale typically. When my speed gets down to around 17mph I pop the car back in neutral, release the clutch, and the autostop engages all the way down to 0 mph. I have found keeping slight pressure on the brake pedal will keep the engine off even when moving below 17 mph. Once at a stop I will wait for the light to turn green, when I put the car back in gear the car starts back up and I repeat the above. This car is so fun to drive and I have had to modify my coasting and braking habits slightly and all seems good :) Nate

·
Registered
6 Posts
ArtH: Interested in this idea of coasting, as the engine will not use any fuel if you are slowing down in gear with your foot off the throttle as like any modern car there is an overrun fuel cut off. If the engine is idling it will of course use fuel, so I can't see why you would want to do this.
Regarding the stop/start not cutting the engine under ceertain circumstances, if it has finctioned then you need to reach a certain speed before it will function again. I can't remember what it is, but I think there is something in the handbook.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ArtH: Interested in this idea of coasting, as the engine will not use any fuel if you are slowing down in gear with your foot off the throttle as like any modern car there is an overrun fuel cut off. If the engine is idling it will of course use fuel, so I can't see why you would want to do this.
Thats my take on it which is why I never coast in my Zed. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.