Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man. trans and auto stop

My car doesn't always turn off when I stop with the car in neutral. sometimes it never shuts down, sometimes it does it at random, and sometimes it shuts down at every stop.

Am I missing something as to the parameters when it turns off? The book says in neutral with brake on.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
My car doesn't always turn off when I stop with the car in neutral. sometimes it never shuts down, sometimes it does it at random, and sometimes it shuts down at every stop.

Am I missing something as to the parameters when it turns off? The book says in neutral with brake on.
Depends on a few things. Environmentals being the biggest. If your AC is on full blast, Defroster, stereo blasting etc. I.e., how much load your putting on the system...

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok, thanks! I will read more then figure it out. I know I've turned most things off and it still runs, but can you give me a ref to look at?
Some of the things are beyond your control (to some degree at least); state of the batteries, coolant temperature, preserving brake vacuum etc. - lots of things affect it.
I sometimes hit econ to 'encourage' it if I know I'm going to stop at a junction or whatever, but if some parameter is outside what is acceptable then it won't shut down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Auto-stop is one area where drivers who commute mainly in the city/suburbs can materially improve their FE - particularly where there are lots of lights. In an earlier thread, I described some calcs I did with my Civic and determined that shutting down during stops could add 3.5+ mpg to my short drive to work. My car consumes just under .2 gph at idle. I expect the CRZ is slightly less (1.5L vs 1.8L in the civic) but still material.

Learning to exploit this capability is something I’m looking forward to once I finally pull the trigger on a CRZ.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your car is like mine you will also come to find that you dont always have to be in neutral for it to function. As someone informed me, there's a slight disconnect between what the manual says and real life.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The manual is highly simplistic in it's discription of Auto Stop.

I find that it will stop in any gear except 1rst. You need to be warmed up and traveling less that 19mph with your foot on the brake. If you are creeping slowly and do not get up to speed from the last autostop it may not go off. Haven't figured out that logic entirely yet. It will restart when: 1) you put it into gear. 2) Take your foot off the brake. 3) When every it wants to.

To force it to stay off at a stop, 1) shift to neutral 2) let out clutch 3) shift into 3-6 gear.
It will stay off until you press clutch and shift into first to start up again. K

·
Registered
886 Posts
mine NEVER goes off at drivethroughs. It does when I stop to order. But then inching up in line, it has never ever turned itself off again.
That really bothers me, as the places I go aren't exactly 'fast' (sometimes 20min in line)
(and yeah, i put it in econ, turn off my ventilation, etc)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
having the clutch down "counts" as neutral since there are no gears "engaged" in the transmission and as long as the shifter is not selecting the 1st gear then the car won't restart.

I don't care what you say but the car auto stops if you press the clutch and the brake without shifting.

·
Registered
815 Posts
auto stop will shut your engine off when you are in 2nd,3rd,4th,5,6th gear with clutch pressed. it will turn back on when it's shifted to 1st.

when auto stop is on, even if you put in gears (except 1st) it will not turn back on as long as the clutch is fully in.

so when your on a stop with auto-stop engaged, putting in 1st even with clutch fully pressed will restart your engine on.

when in a line for drive thru, you need to get the speed back up to 15KM/h or more. otherwise, auto-shut off wont engage.

there are several threads talking about this on the forum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think what's clear is that the software governing the Auto Stop is more sophisticated than we can probably figure out without help from Honda, who will probably be loathe to give it as their system is far superior to the alternatives I've experienced from Fiat, Audi and Volvo.

My observations are that: It doesn't seem to work until the engine is warmed up; If the climate control is set to 'Auto' then it will override the Auto Stop if the cabin is too far from the desired temperature; The system kicks in when the car thinks you're coming to a halt regardless of what gear you're in (except 1st), usually at around 16-18mph; If you gradually coast to a halt then the system can get confused and turn itself on again before you stop; Selecting 1st or reverse will always make the engine turn back on, although I find that sometimes it happens as soon as I put the clutch in; Strangely, after I've parked and put the car in neutral, Auto Stop often doesn't re-engage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's not something I've noticed. Do you have any aftermarket audio accessories? Just an amp and a reasonable sub will draw significantly more power than the stock stereo, so I could imagine that affecting the Auto Stop. It's a long time ago now, but I had quite a bit of ICE in my old Peugeot and you could see the headlamps dimming in time to the bass notes! I had to get an uprated battery and alternator in the end.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.