Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this: In ECON mode, yes it works very well. However in normal mode, with A/C on, everytime I come to a stop it acts like it will go into auto shut down, RPMS drop to 500, engine and car shakes and vibrates a little as if it died, then it fires back up. I know this is not suppose to happen, and it does depend on what the A/C is set on for auto shut down. Rather its auto setting on A/C or max setting car will not go into auto shut down. Manual setting with fan on medium or less Auto Shut Down will work in normal. Any one else getting this "False Shut Down" symptoms???? I will be taking to dealer Mon. :angry:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Change of plans: Gotta go out of town, won't be able to hit dealer on Mon for the Auto Shut Off problem. However this will be about a 500 round trip journey so I will post numbers after I get back and I will have to take it in later. Sorry for the delay on the problem but when wifey "suggested" that I go to her parents house to fix what a plumber screwed up-guess I gotta go...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the CVT, but mine engine will completely turn off most times. The one time it shuddered was when I had my foot on the brake coming to a stop, then released pedal pressure (but still had foot on pedal). Engine 're-started' due to too light of pressure on brake pedal.

DennisD

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have the 6MT but still experience auto shutdown at stop only about 60% of the time. It does seem to depend on how much the AC is working, but shutting the AC off doesn't force an auto shutdown if it hadn't already shut down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The engine is SUPPOSED to shut off when you stop. Check out page 224 in your owner's manual.

According to Honda, you're saving gas as you set there wondering what just happened! This means the starter will be activated dozens of times a day for some of us. That's a lot of wear and tear.

I wonder what happens at the 36 m/36,000 point when the regular warranty expires on these things? There is also a 60 m/50,000 "limited powertrain warranty" in effect but I'm not sure which warranty category includes the starter assembly.

When do the problems start?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I shutter sometimes as well and usually ask my car "what the hell"??? Never answers back though. Lol!! But i wonder about that myself. Looking forward to your post about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yah, the giant IMA motor has no trouble turning the engine over, so the re-starts shouldn't ever be an issue.

Then from my observations, the auto-start has to do w/ the cabin temp vs the level you have the AC on. If it thinks you're uncomfortably warm, it turns on the AC. Once that happens, the cycle has been reset and turning off the AC doesn't turn off the engine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
BTW - last night I figured out how to de-activate the auto shut off feature. Found it in the manual on page 225. There's a list of circumstances in which the auto shut off does NOT activate.

Easiest one to make happen on your own is to turn on the front window defroster and set the fan speed to lowest setting. I tried it. It works. And if Honda put it in the manual I take that as meaning flames won't shoot out when I hit that button, LOL.

My problem with auto shut off is it works even when you pull up to the McDonalds drive through and you want to be in control of EXACTLY where you stop to place and pick up your order. Auto shut off stops you several inches/feet/whereever short of where I want to be. Also, the drive through at the bank and stopping exactly in front of the mail box drop off up at the post office.

If I de-activate this feature the engine will continue to idle (yes - I know it is costing me gas, but saving me annoyance) and I can control how far forward I roll to the get that Big Mac.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Was hoping to see some more on this issue. What I've experienced with my CVT is that the engine sometimes restarts after shut-off while at a stop light, despite my foot remaining firmly on the brake. Wondering if this is a cause for concern... will probably search the forums some more to see if there are other threads about this phenomenon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine does this as well, but it usually only happens if it is warmer outside than what the temperature control is set to. I am guessing the engine restarts after a while because it needs to turn the ac compressor on to start up the temp control?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ahh right - I was just about to ask this - as mine did it twice on the way home today. I was at some stop lights, auto-stop mode on and then suddenly for no apparent reason the car starts back up again. I was wondering if I had a fault.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The auto/stop feature is quite annoying to me. I'll be glad when they come up with a bypass feature. Plus the a/c doesn't work well in auto/stop mode because when the engine turns off the compressor turns off. On a real hot day at a stop light thats no fun.....plus the ac starts to smell funky. I would rather not have the engine go to sleep even if it means less gas mileage. I actually bought the car for it's great looks not for the mileage. In a perfect world this car would have the k20 engine.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The auto/stop feature is quite annoying to me. I'll be glad when they come up with a bypass feature. Plus the a/c doesn't work well in auto/stop mode because when the engine turns off the compressor turns off. On a real hot day at a stop light thats no fun.....plus the ac starts to smell funky. I would rather not have the engine go to sleep even if it means less gas mileage. I actually bought the car for it's great looks not for the mileage. In a perfect world this car would have the k20 engine.
Odd.. when I have my AC on, and the fan is around 4 or 5, my engine does not shut down. I'll test it again today... as I tested it previously about a two months ago for a similar thread. We have seen some conflicting reports about this. how many miles do you have on it? What Tranny? How hot outside, and how cold do you have the AC set to? All can affect this.
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1007-question-stop-start-system.html#post6114
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1275-idle-stop-feature.html#post8236
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1275-idle-stop-feature.html#post8356

One member also found that if the system is set to defrost.. the engine wont stop. ( It was a couple posts above yours? Did you read it?)
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/engine-discussion/1751-auto-shut-
down.html#post16025

Is yours manual tranny? Keep the clutch in.. engine wont stop.

Use the search function and read what has been said about this before... some of us have had our CR-Z's since the day they were released, and all of the questions and complaints have been addressed before..... If you don't know how to search, ask.. we are a helpful bunch!:thumbsup:

K20? Then I wouldn't have bought it because the mileage would suck... and that holds true for a lot of others on here also.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the reason the engine comes back on at a stop is because you are draining battery by using accessories. it comes back on to charge the battery up. it's the same with other hybrids as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.