Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To maximize fuel economy, CR-Z has an Auto Idle Stop function. Under certain conditions, the engine will shut off when you come to a stop. One of the conditions is: The vehicle's speed is below 19 mph (30 km/h) and you are pressing on the brake pedal to come to a stop.
My question is:
Is possible to lower that setting to about 5 mph or to any desired speed?
(It is sometimes annoying to slow down to to make a turn and have the idle off and immediately on when gear changed or accelerator depressed).
Thanks

· Registered
381 Posts
Assuming a manual transmission.

Leave it in gear, or down shift as you slow down, preparing to stop.

Just before stopping (7-10 mph) shift to first gear.

Mine won't auto stop at/below 19 mph unless coasting in neutral, which I don't do
if I anticipate accelerating again (instead of stopping).

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
I've got a 2013 CVT, but it will only do the idle stop when I'm below 5mph. Is this normal, or is the 19mph limit only for 6MT? Also, have you guys had it turn back on even though the brakes were on?
The point in which the Autostop engages has many factors.. And yes your car will restart after a few seconds or minutes depending on the situation which the most important piece is what environmentals you are running determines how long autostop will stay engaged.. A lot of threads on this subject.. Can take some time and search and will get alot of information on this..

:thumbup:

· Registered
7 Posts
I did a quick search, but I'll look more. I really like this feature, especially on the beltway and on I-66, and I really want to get more out of it. Plus, it doesn't feel too healthy when it shakes the entire car staying back up with the brake on.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Aye, can use the Forum's Google Search option.. Autostop is not unique to the CR-Z. Been around for a while. Can be somewhat disconcerting when restarting if not used to it. But is all OK.. So much gas is wasted when stopped, autostop is starting to become mainstream even in non hybrids.. It'll mature as time goes by, but IMO, nothing to worry about for our CR-Z. One of the reasons 0w20 is the recommended oil..

· Registered
328 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
Does auto-stop bother anyone with a 6MT? Seems that it's a lot less predictable on the CVT.

I personally love the feature, it does not get in the way of my driving at all (by the time you put it in gear, the engine is already started and ready to go, regardless of mode). Wish it was higher than 19mph to get better coasting MPG, though.

· CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
To maximize fuel economy, CR-Z has an Auto Idle Stop function. Under certain conditions, the engine will shut off when you come to a stop. One of the conditions is: The vehicle's speed is below 19 mph (30 km/h) and you are pressing on the brake pedal to come to a stop.
My question is:
Is possible to lower that setting to about 5 mph or to any desired speed?
(It is sometimes annoying to slow down to to make a turn and have the idle off and immediately on when gear changed or accelerator depressed).
Thanks
I don't know where you get your information, but I've never had the auto-stop kick in at 30km/h. If it did, then the engine would continually be stopping in the city.

My manual says:
Auto Idle Stop Activates When:
The brake pedal is depressed, and the vehicle slows down to a speed below 6 mph (10 km/h).

So, there you go, problem solved!

· Registered
281 Posts
I don't know where you get your information, but I've never had the auto-stop kick in at 30km/h. If it did, then the engine would continually be stopping in the city.
Not sure what the various market/model differences are, but my UK 6MT Auto-stops at 19mph, and yes, it does stop a lot if you're in slow traffic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.