Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase this Autel tool / sensor setup in the next week or so. Could any of you that haven't had any reliability issues provide me the part number of the sensors that you're using (preferably of the metal body variety)? It looks like Autel offers a few different part numbers that work in 315MHz.
Thanks!
The only reliability issue I've had so far(since install in 2017) was cured via a software update for the PAD. No problems with the tire sensors themselves.
Get this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autel-Set-of-4-Programmable-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-315MHz-TPMS-Monitoring-GM-OEM/263963187417?hash=item3d756e98d9:g:FFIAAOSwPrtb6W~G:rk:22:pf:0
And if you need the programmer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Ship-Autel-MaxiTPMS-PAD-TPMS-Sensor-Pragromming-Accessory-Device-315-433MHz/153176827168?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=8f3754f362fd4d178eb3da233b2a8124&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=123180497657&itm=153176827168&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reliability issues? I haven't had any issues. One time I got one, and it was junk outta the box and I couldn't program it. But the rest have been fine. Just buy some and take a gamble. I think you might be overthinking it. Its not a huge investment. They are like.. $20 or less each?
The gamble is if one does decide to take a crap once in use, the tires have to be dismounted to replace it. Cost and time / hassle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It looks like that first link in your reply is for a diagnostic tool + sensors, you don't need this in addition to the pad to install these do you?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It looks like that first link in your reply is for a diagnostic tool + sensors, you don't need this in addition to the pad to install these do you?
The listing has been changed. You need 4 of the programmable 315 mhz sensors (apx $100) and the autel maxi pad (apx $55) to program them. I have no experience with the tool that listing shows but it looks like that would work as well. Try this one for the sensors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Autel-MX-Sensor-315MHz-TPMS-Sensor-Universal-Programmable-Tire-Pressure-Tool/183439003646?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=554e7ade5b8b41af91da25588f860b3c&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=183439003646&itm=183439003646&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:25c6eceb-45ed-11e9-a9f8-74dbd180416a|parentrq:798668101690a9c4cb1acf63ffecee58|iid:1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys, I ordered a set of sensors and the pad last night. I'll report back if there are any noteworthy bits of info to contribute.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm trying to program the Autel sensors now with the pad, it gets through the programming portion but fails the test afterwards. When I recheck the failed sensor it shows a default value of FFFFFFF, so it looks like it's not programming the autel sensors for some reason. I did check and it's not finding any newer software versions.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
So I'm trying to program the Autel sensors now with the pad, it gets through the programming portion but fails the test afterwards. When I recheck the failed sensor it shows a default value of FFFFFFF, so it looks like it's not programming the autel sensors for some reason. I did check and it's not finding any newer software versions.
Does the "test" work on your OEM sensors? Off the top of my head my advice is to double check that you are in the correct menu with the correct year of CR-Z. Also, make sure your ID mode is set to "HEX".
Check out this video (posted earlier in this thread but...) if you haven't already...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Fediej,

Yes the test function works as intended on the OEM sensors, pulls the hex code, temp, and pressure. Code is set to hex, I tried the "Copy" function as well as the "create" function with the same result. It gets through the programming but fails the test portion, and when I check the newly "programmed" sensors they still show a value of "FFFFFFF". There's only one option for the CR-Z, covers all model years.

I have a feeling that it's not a problem with the pad itself, but with the sensors that I ordered. I was worried about this, it's annoying that they have 700 different part number TPMS sensors, I bet the ones that I bought are incompatible for some reason.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPQZLDR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_YG7JCb6CB0658

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have a feeling that it's not a problem with the pad itself, but with the sensors that I ordered. I was worried about this, it's annoying that they have 700 different part number TPMS sensors, I bet the ones that I bought are incompatible for some reason.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPQZLDR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_YG7JCb6CB0658
If you bought the dual 315/433 frequency ones in your Amazon link instead of the straight 315 mhz that I said to that might be a possibility. From here my suggestion is to contact Autel, maybe their customer support can shed some light on the situation. If not, Amazon is usually pretty good about returns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I think I'm going to just order some straight 315mhz sensors, reason why I'm trying to stick with ordering through Amazon was the return policy in case this happened.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is somewhat old, but seems like a good spot to post this. I just picked up some of the programmable sensors and a pad the other day to set up a second set of wheels for my winter tires and encountered a bit of trouble getting the pad to work properly and get updated to the latest version.

Since I use OSX, I was using Windows inside of a VM (VirtualBox, was able to just use a free testing windows vm from Microsoft. I am unable to post a link as this is my first post, but just google free windows testing vm), and this may have been why things weren't quite as plug-and-play.

Getting the usb connection passed along to Windows was simple, just had to add it to the vm settings under ports > usb > add. However, once installing the tpms software in the vm and starting it up, I kept getting this error popping up "Fail to CF", and then it would try to update the pad and I would get an "upgrade failed" message. After a bunch of trial and error, I found that the secret seemed to be to set the serial port's bitrate setting (baud rate) inside of Windows to 19200 (did this through Windows device manager). After this, the pad was able to update to the latest firmware version and worked perfectly to read my existing sensors in my current tires and seems to have properly programmed my new set.

Hope this helps someone out there someday!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I know this thread is somewhat old, but seems like a good spot to post this. I just picked up some of the programmable sensors and a pad the other day to set up a second set of wheels for my winter tires and encountered a bit of trouble getting the pad to work properly and get updated to the latest version.

Since I use OSX, I was using Windows inside of a VM (VirtualBox, was able to just use a free testing windows vm from Microsoft. I am unable to post a link as this is my first post, but just google free windows testing vm), and this may have been why things weren't quite as plug-and-play.

Getting the usb connection passed along to Windows was simple, just had to add it to the vm settings under ports > usb > add. However, once installing the tpms software in the vm and starting it up, I kept getting this error popping up "Fail to CF", and then it would try to update the pad and I would get an "upgrade failed" message. After a bunch of trial and error, I found that the secret seemed to be to set the serial port's bitrate setting (baud rate) inside of Windows to 19200 (did this through Windows device manager). After this, the pad was able to update to the latest firmware version and worked perfectly to read my existing sensors in my current tires and seems to have properly programmed my new set.

Hope this helps someone out there someday!
This is good info to know!! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
the secret seemed to be to set the serial port's bitrate setting (baud rate) inside of Windows to 19200 (did this through Windows device manager).
Just made an account to personally thank you for posting this. It saved me a great deal of hassle. No idea how you figured that one out, but very well spotted!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Anyone have a screen shot of the device they are changing the settings on in device manager? Might be good to post it here for others to see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem. Had tire guy Install new Autel MX sensors (I can't break tire bead at home) and then drove home and used Autel TS508 with updated firmware.
Could NOT program! You could retrieve TPMS sensor information with ID of FFFFFFF. But could not program. So the Autel ts508 could see sensor but could not program. Looked everywhere for solution.
Ended up you CANNOT program MX Sensors unless tire pressure is zero (Or less than 10 psi). So I removed the valve stems to deflated tires.
Voila , they could then be programmed!. I think the design is that you do the OBD copy then program, BEFORE you install and inflate the tire.
Hope this helps Really was not stated anywhere clearly--

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Similar problem. Had tire guy Install new Autel MX sensors (I can't break tire bead at home) and then drove home and used Autel TS508 with updated firmware.
Could NOT program! You could retrieve TPMS sensor information with ID of FFFFFFF. But could not program. So the Autel ts508 could see sensor but could not program. Looked everywhere for solution.
Ended up you CANNOT program MX Sensors unless tire pressure is zero (Or less than 10 psi). So I removed the valve stems to deflated tires.
Voila , they could then be programmed!. I think the design is that you do the OBD copy then program, BEFORE you install and inflate the tire.
Hope this helps Really was not stated anywhere clearly--
Interesting info.. I was never able to program from outside of the tire myself either. I always did it before putting them in, but this is good to know!! Thanks!

81 - 98 of 98 Posts