Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,640 Posts
I believe the '16 model year has the newer detector scheme. But I highly doubt it would be practical, or even possible, to update the older cars.
I just want a simple receiver that can read the pressures from the sensors we have. I was in Walmart and have seen online systems that use special valve caps( again with batteries but replaceable) and a display unit that plugs into power that can display the pressures from the tires. If you are going to have a sensor that knows the pressure the least it can do is tell me!:smile2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Yeah, the "Tire's low, guess which one" setup sucks. Again, thank you Ford, Firstone and Congress. Ignorant bastards. Another thousand-dollars per car it'd be nice to not have to buy.

·
Super Moderator
4,640 Posts
I have seen similar systems for even less than those two. Just you have to keep the Honda one in place unless you like the very bright orange Mid Display or the orange ! Warning on all the time.

I was just looking for the display unit like the second one that can read my already existing sensors. 3 OEM and one cloned replacement.:frown2:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I was just looking for the display unit like the second one that can read my already existing sensors. 3 OEM and one cloned replacement.
With as inexpensive as these systems are, there has Got to be something like that somewhere.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Another option if you don't want to deal wth cloning sensors is this tool: ATEQ QUICKSET TPMS RESET TOOL. $120 shipped from Ebay. After initial setup(took me about 10 minutes) it's a sub 5 minute process to reset your car's TPMS.

·
Super Moderator
4,640 Posts
Another option if you don't want to deal wth cloning sensors is this tool: ATEQ QUICKSET TPMS RESET TOOL. $120 shipped from Ebay. After initial setup(took me about 10 minutes) it's a sub 5 minute process to reset your car's TPMS.
I just want to know the pressure in each wheel without having to grab my gauge but my gauge is in the dash top compartment or I have the other gauge attached to my compressor. I just figured if there is a sensor in each tire it has to know the pressure and it would be nice if it told me. :grin:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Bringing this topic back up as I am having the delight of re-coding the TPMS sensors in my winter wheels using the Autel MaxiTPMS Pad.

This thing does NOT seem to want to code through the wheels. Is there any trick to this that anyone knows of? Put it over the sensor? Put it over the tire? Do I have to activate the sensor or drive? Or does this tool just not have enough 'range' to push a new code to the sensors through the wheel?

Whats weird is.. I can read the codes, but I cant seem to push a code to it (program it) through the wheel.

I feel like I ran into this before and had to pull the wheels off. What a PITA. I wish this tool had a bit more 'range' so I could just get it done. Anyone got any recommendations on another tool that can do this through the wheel? Might need to grab one at some point to save myself the hassle down the road.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Does the PAD software need to be updated again maybe? Don't know if that would make any real difference but it seemed to cure any past issues. I've scanned and reprogrammed multiple sets now but any programming has been done either prior to install or through alloys. Haven't had to program through steel yet. Pics of how I positioned the PAD on the wheels are posted earlier in this thread. Another option that was mentioned was the ATEQ tool. So you can program the car to the sensors instead of programming the sensors to the car.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Does the PAD software need to be updated again maybe? Don't know if that would make any real difference but it seemed to cure any past issues. I've scanned and reprogrammed multiple sets now but any programming has been done either prior to install or through alloys. Haven't had to program through steel yet. Pics of how I positioned the PAD on the wheels are posted earlier in this thread. Another option that was mentioned was the ATEQ tool. So you can program the car to the sensors instead of programming the sensors to the car.
I sometimes wonder if its because the pad itself is running off the USB cable, and no external power. Might not have enough signal strength due to battery. I might try a diff comp with a larger battery and see what happens.

PITA!

Also, my next though is.. I might just pull the TPMS control unit from my other car and put it in this one. That should solve the problems the easy way. And its right under the dash.. easy to get to!:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
4,640 Posts
Some sensors have fixed IDs and you have to program the car to the sensors rather than the sensors to the IDs the car already knows. If it can read and not change that is the issue.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Some sensors have fixed IDs and you have to program the car to the sensors rather than the sensors to the IDs the car already knows. If it can read and not change that is the issue.
Unless they've been swapped out since winter started, The sensors in @d1giPhux steel wheels are clones, as mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thats why I was now thinking about pulling the TPMS control unit from the old car. This is where those codes are stored.

Unless they've been swapped out since winter started, The sensors in @d1giPhux steel wheels are clones, as mentioned in previous posts in this thread.
Yes, the tpms sensors are clones in these wheels. These wheels came off my other car. They are Autel 315mhz sensors. Fully programmable.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well.. fixed the TPMS lights!

Swapped the TPMS control unit from my old car to this one.. and BAM! No TPMS lights and now I can disable / enable the VSA traction control.. easy as 10 minutes (in the freezing cold too!).

Here are some tips:

1. To disconnect the plug, you need to push down from the top right where the red square in the below pictures is, and pull the harness out. It will come out VERY easy if you are doing it right.

2. To remove the TPMS control unit from the bracket, wedge a screwdriver (flat head) where the green square is, and push in, and out away from the bracket. (push up / towards the green arrows as shown in the picture). Once its release, you can slide it off.

·
Super Moderator
4,640 Posts
Thats why I was now thinking about pulling the TPMS control unit from the old car. This is where those codes are stored.

Yes, the tpms sensors are clones in these wheels. These wheels came off my other car. They are Autel 315mhz sensors. Fully programmable.

So now when you swap your wheels you will have to swap that module?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Both sets of wheels and the tpms module are from the original car.
So now when you swap your wheels you will have to swap that module?
Yes, both these wheels, and the TPMS module are from my crashed car.

Since I don't want to use the wheels / tires from the new car, I am going to use this TPMS control unit, and my other sets. Maybe in the future I will throw some Autel programmable sensors in those as well, or I might just sell them.

Was actually thinking it would be cool to polish them into chrome. We will see!!

If i DID want to drive them, I could just swap the TPMS module back over with no issues and drive them without any re-programming or anything! Pretty cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase this Autel tool / sensor setup in the next week or so. Could any of you that haven't had any reliability issues provide me the part number of the sensors that you're using (preferably of the metal body variety)? It looks like Autel offers a few different part numbers that work in 315MHz.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase this Autel tool / sensor setup in the next week or so. Could any of you that haven't had any reliability issues provide me the part number of the sensors that you're using (preferably of the metal body variety)? It looks like Autel offers a few different part numbers that work in 315MHz.

Thanks!
Reliability issues? I haven't had any issues. One time I got one, and it was junk outta the box and I couldn't program it. But the rest have been fine. Just buy some and take a gamble. I think you might be overthinking it. Its not a huge investment. They are like.. $20 or less each?

61 - 80 of 98 Posts