Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime ago I remember coming across an article about Sanyo being acquired by Panasonic. Please correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that Panasonic strictly sells hybrid batteries to Toyota only and therefore Yuasa is now the sole producer of Honda's hybrid battery packs. I know Sanyo still exists. I still see the name. I'm unsure if the Sanyo name will eventually vanish.

Is Yuasa inferior to Panasonics battery packs? I know that Sanyo made some of the best batteries around.

I've never heard of Yuasa. The name almost looks Chinese when you first glance it, but it's 100% Japanese.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Most articles I come across list Honda battery packs as being a Panasonic product.

For the new Li-Ion batteries it's a new partnership.
The Nikkei reports that Blue Energy Co, the newly-formed joint venture between Honda and GS Yuasa will begin mass-producing high-performance lithium ion batteries for hybrid vehicles in the spring of 2011. This 51-49 joint venture of Yuasa and Honda is expected to start building a lithium ion battery plant this month at Yuasa's Osadano plant, in Kyoto Prefecture, at an estimated initial cost of 10 billion yen [US$100 million] or so. The production is expected to begin at a level sufficient for 100,000 vehicles a year. Honda plans to start using lithium ion batteries with the 2010/2011 Honda Civic Hybrid.
Green Car Congress: Honda, GS Yuasa JV To Make Lithium-Ion Batteries for Hybrids From 2011

As for Yusa looks like it's a company that's been around for awhile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most articles I come across list Honda battery packs as being a Panasonic product.

For the new Li-Ion batteries it's a new partnership.

Green Car Congress: Honda, GS Yuasa JV To Make Lithium-Ion Batteries for Hybrids From 2011

As for Yusa looks like it's a company that's been around for awhile.
GS Yuasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is there a way to look at the pack easily or does it involve lots of screws. I really want to know who is making these batteries for Honda.

There is word that Fuji Heavy Industries will assist Toyota with battery technologies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is there a way to look at the pack easily or does it involve lots of screws. I really want to know who is making these batteries for Honda.

There is word that Fuji Heavy Industries will assist Toyota with battery technologies.
If you remove the spare tire and the foam blocks that hold it in you can see the container rather well. I can not recall if you can really see inside of it though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is a door on the battery container that has one bolt holding it closed.
Inside is only a circuit breaker. To get further you would need to break
open the whole enclosure. Many screw fasteners around the edge I think.
Looks like they tried to make it fire proof. Also it is sealed so as to allow
the forced air cooling. K

(So the fire on the inside can not get out, not usually a problem with NiMH)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anybody weigh the factory battery? When it goes bad Im replacing with a Braille carbon fiber unit.

Yuasa is a great brand. Replaced all of my motorcycle batteries with Yuasa when the factory ones quit on me. They last longer and are cheaper than the dealership, my2cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.