Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sort of hate to ask, as I see it has been asked on just about every other car forum...
Is a ~1inch drop ok for the oem dampers? And by ok, I guess I mean will they last at least ~90% of their expected life?

I work at a car dealer (IT guy, never been much of a car person before this.. obviously) and know some of the mechanics have shops on the side. I've been asking around to see if someone will install the springs for not much money. But, they all say I need to re-think my plans, and this won't work, and I need different shocks, etc. Most say they won't help for fear of me having issues down the road.
Now, I guess working at a big dealer, they're in a very OEM mindset, so that's why I'm bringing the question here.
Obviously most here think it's fine, but lets hear a couple of opinions.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Swift springs are the best choice for stock dampers. Google it, you will see. Swift springs are made to work with stock dampers and engineered to minimize accelerated wear while improving handling. All springs will have an effect on shock wear but the Swift should be the mildest. The only other company i would trust in terms of making springs for stock shocks would be Hyperco as they have a similar reputation as Swift.

That being said, i have been on a few forums before and seen people with different brand springs drive on them for a long time.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I had a set of tien s techs that lasted 50k on stock struts that were already 95k old.

With a Mild drop, and watch where you drive, be careful to watch for speedbumps or potholes and your strut life will improve greatly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue.
I have Apexi springs for my last civic which lasted about 35k with no problem. But there was a point when I had to dodge a stupid door openin from a car, resulting me ramming into a huge curb. Snapped my shock absorber.. :) :(

·
Banned
614 Posts
yeah I had springs before air bag suspension for my E30 and the springs legittly sucked. I would just go with coilovers. I think there at least better then springs. Ride is a little worse. and If you drive were there is alot of pot holes like I did. I wouldn't recommend them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.