Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting one, a Schumacher SC1304 to be exact, has anyone used a charger with their Z? what would you recommend, and would be better to just jumpstart?

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
With the pandemic and not driving my car as often I have been considering:
4A Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer as it will charge and then maintain I am not familiar with the one you mentioned. My plan with this if I get it is to permanently install the connector they give you and the 2 ring terminals to make it easy to connect and disconnect the charger quickly. Battery will remain connected and installed.

I keep a LI-ION Jump Starter made by Bolt in The Speed Bump and charge it every 3 months. I have not needed anything since my battery replacement in 2015 and making sure I drive The Speed Bump for a 30 Minute (continuous) drive once a month or more often.

It is never bad to own a Battery charger and a place to plug it in. I lost my Dad's ancient Diehard charger when I sold his house.

A jump starter is for when you are away from home and need to get home (self rescue) , a charger/maintainer is for use once you get it home and to see if you can restore the battery if you left the lights on or did something else stupid to drain the battery and it hasn't failed.

Two different devices for different purposes .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the pandemic and not driving my car as often I have been considering:
4A Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer as it will charge and then maintain I am not familiar with the one you mentioned . I keep a LI-ION Jump Starter made by Bolt in The Speed Bump and charge it every 3 months. I have not needed anything since my battery replacement in 2015 and making sure I drive The Speed Bump for a 30 Minute (continuous) drive once a month or more often.

It is never bad to own a Battery charger and a place to plug it is. I lost my Dad's ancient Diehard charger when I sold his house.

A jump starter is for when you are away from home and need to get home (self rescue) , a charger/maintainer is for use once you get it home and to see if you can restore the battery if you left the lights on or did something else stupid to drain the battery and it hasn't failed.

Two different devices for different purposes .
When charging the 12v battery, do you disconnect the positive and negative leads? Is there anywhere I can find out how to do that?

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Typically when jump starting or charging you connect the positive lead on the charger (or the "good" battery) to the + red battery terminal and for safety the negative clamp to a bare metal spot on the engine or the - black negative battery terminal. Some always connect the Negative side of the two batteries both to a body grounded location for safety.

No reason to disconnect but some people remove the battery from the car for charging.
Disconnecting the battery is not a good idea. It can reset things in the car you probably don't want to reset. many on here recommend disconecting the battery for various reasons but the reality is that is a temporary "fix" and loses you all the stored codes that you may need to diagnose the issues.

You may find this informational:

Or you can substitute the jump starter for the other car in this video:

·
Registered
20 Posts
A little pricier but I have two CTEK 56-864 after reading a lot of debates on several forums. They have served me very well. I see it's discontinued now, I'm not sure what exact model superceded them.

No, you do not need to remove the battery for charging. That being said, some cheaper chargers don't have as good of regulation on the power and I'll seldom argue against "better safe than sorry" (I've never pulled a battery to charge it though). The exception would be running a restoration cycle with my charger above because it hits the battery with a high frequency AC.

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
A little pricier but I have two CTEK 56-864 after reading a lot of debates on several forums. They have served me very well. I see it's discontinued now, I'm not sure what exact model superceded them.

No, you do not need to remove the battery for charging. That being said, some cheaper chargers don't have as good of regulation on the power and I'll seldom argue against "better safe than sorry" (I've never pulled a battery to charge it though). The exception would be running a restoration cycle with my charger above because it hits the battery with a high frequency AC.
Another option, if the CTEK can't be found, is the HONDA Optimate 3. I'm using it now, as the trickle charger I've been using for 40+ years is a little (very) outdated, and I wanted to get a smart charger. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another option, if the CTEK can't be found, is the HONDA Optimate 3. I'm using it now, as the trickle charger I've been using for 40+ years is a little (very) outdated, and I wanted to get a smart charger. :)
The exact model from CTEK that I have is discontinued, they still make many others.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Or any number of other well known brand named charger maintainers ( Battery Tender is a world wide brand name) or like I said when I am employed again I am buying the one I mentioned above from Harbor Freight. A lot of electrical/electronic items depending on the source the model names and numbers change frequently look at TVs for a gross example. Do your reading go by specifications or features and get what is available at the time you are looking to buy. The Jump starter I bought that model is no longer available but the same company makes other ones now same specifications but the color of the starter and case changes for example.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts