Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

What is the best wireless apple car play stereo out there ?

If you don't mind attach a image for reference please

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
561 Posts
There is not a single best answer, but I'm using a COHO head unit from AliExpress.

There are many of these floating around, but only the most expensive ones (at about $360 USD) have Apple CarPlay. None have Android Auto, but it works super well using an app called HeadUnit Reloaded. Not sure if a similar app exists for carplay. Failing that, any decent headunit from a reputable brand, such as Sony, should deliver a good experience.

What kind of features are you looking for? Do you want to build an amazing audio system, or do you simply want CarPlay for the convenience?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have also been looking for an apple carplay unit. I like the idea of having a floating tablet like that but the fit and finish of the install kit just isn't great. The pass air bag indicator looks like it isn't made for the hole and the hazard button seems to always be either sticking out to far or sucked in.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
561 Posts
The pass air bag indicator looks like it isn't made for the hole and the hazard button seems to always be either sticking out to far or sucked in.
Because it isn't lol. I have the base model 'Z, but this frame is made for the models with navigation, which have a slightly different button. However, other than the buttons, the kit actually has a very good fit, all the edges line up perfectly with no weird gaps or seams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is not a single best answer, but I'm using a COHO head unit from AliExpress.

View attachment 63267 View attachment 63268

There are many of these floating around, but only the most expensive ones (at about $360 USD) have Apple CarPlay. None have Android Auto, but it works super well using an app called HeadUnit Reloaded. Not sure if a similar app exists for carplay. Failing that, any decent headunit from a reputable brand, such as Sony, should deliver a good experience.

What kind of features are you looking for? Do you want to build an amazing audio system, or do you simply want CarPlay for the convenience?
Do you have to use a dongle or is it connected via bluetooth?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
561 Posts
Do you have to use a dongle or is it connected via bluetooth?
The radio has 3 USB ports, so I connect it to one of those, just like connecting it to a computer. I've never used the Apple Carplay feature since I don't have an iPhone. The app I use for AA, called Head Unit Reloaded, supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections on top of USB, but they don't work very well so I don't use them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just ordered the CoHo unit (4G Ram version w/intel non blu ray) since i saw you and someone else talk about it. Did you connect the back up cam? Was wondering if it was worth it to install.

It is pretty funny an android tablet cannot do Android Auto but can do Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
561 Posts
I just ordered the CoHo unit (4G Ram version w/intel non blu ray) since i saw you and someone else talk about it. Did you connect the back up cam? Was wondering if it was worth it to install.

It is pretty funny an android tablet cannot do Android Auto but can do Apple Carplay.
I didn't since my backup camera uses the rear view mirror, so I didn't bother.

I also find it very odd that support for Apple Carplay is more common in general. There's many units that support Carplay but not A.A and those that do support A.A are more expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting off by saying i am not a car person haha i know how to change my oil and that’s about it but hopefully i can learn more from you guys! Just bought my baby yesterday 2012 crz. It still has the stock navigation/radio in it which i really want to upgrade to something with apple play but i do not know which is best or what size i would need. So any suggestions would be amazing, i just want to be sure not to mess up the current bluetooth on steering wheel because i read that clicks become an issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,863 Posts
Lots of threads on this once you replace radio you will replace blue tooth with what that radio has and you will use an adapter to reuse the buttons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts